Author Topic: 2016 Biking Thread  (Read 15895 times)

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
2016 Biking Thread
« on: February 09, 2016, 09:19:05 pm »
I know what some of you might be thinking, but it's really not too soon. I'm still riding to work and I even tried fat biking, which is actually pretty fun. I just put a deposit down on a set of Sram Guide RS brakes for my Faith to replace the Avid's I trashed last year.

I'm pretty stoked for this season. Will be my second year back after being off the bike for quite a few years so I'm excited to see some more progression and will hopefully be able to get a bunch more miles in this year in lieu of breaking my wrist last June.

So, what are your goals for this season? What are you looking forward to? Any big trips? New bikes or some exciting upgrades?
Untitled by Evan Jones, on Flickr
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

DaDuke99

Re: 2016 Biking Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 09:38:26 pm »
I fully intend to get some type of commuter bike this year, and maybe even put the car away for a bit. I've been actively looking to finally realize my dream of biking through Europe, and preparation for that has to start at home.
I also intend to throw some money at my downhill rig to get it in prime shape again, I've kind of let it lightly start falling apart. It needs a new rear shock and chain, maybe a new set of rims if I'm feeling generous.

Overall I intend to get out to Moose or farther a dozen or so times at least... and really start focusing on not driving everywhere around town. Grocery runs may be tricky  :P

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 11:23:02 pm »
Just to get out and ride... towing my daughter in the Chariot.

Too bad I can't find a through axle compatible mount for my Knolly to hang the chariot off the back.. that would be epic.
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 11:12:34 am »
My goal is to sell the Stinky and get a more aggressive XC bike so I can go riding with my buddies. Thanks for reminding me I need to make an ad lol

Offline kold911

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2014 forester XT, 1/2 of a 2003 wrx
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 11:48:31 am »
It's never to early.. Been riding All winter. Albeit only 1 maybe 2 rides a week, with the odd week off due to illness/work/life.

This winter has been awesome for riding, mostly night time rides in fish creek on studded skinnies.

No big goals/plans, was planning on entering some xc races, but will see if time/funds allow. For the most part just want to work on my climbing. Oh, and hopefully take my kids on a couple trail rides.

And will be biking to work a lot more this year.

Also keeping an eye out for a good deal on a used CX bike for commuting/training.
Jeff

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 11:43:20 am »
Here's a quick video from last weekend.

"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline greatnorthgnome

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2002 Impreza wrx
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 10:26:38 am »
I just want to ride more, every year I lose more and more motivation.

Offline Unholysavage

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2008 DGM WRX STI
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 11:12:46 am »
last summer was the first injury-free(ish) year I've had in a long time, managed to get in more DH days than the last 3 years combined.
my goal again this year is to get another season pass for Kicking Horse/Fernie, and made it to Whistler/Silverstar/Sun Peaks at least once. hopefully twice.
I'm going to keep my Darkside for another season, and likely sell my Aurum frame (or trade it for car parts). the Saint m820s I bought last spring were nothing but problems, if Calgary Cycle can't properly bleed them they will be going away for a set of Guides or Hope V4s. and now that I'm mortgage free, I'm considering upgrading my 2012 Fox 40 to a new 40 Float. can't wait for the hills to open!
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Offline Longlivetheride

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: Nissan Juke Nismo, Nissan Frontier,Fix - Cronus Rally MSport R2
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 09:36:36 pm »
last summer was the first injury-free(ish) year I've had in a long time, managed to get in more DH days than the last 3 years combined.
my goal again this year is to get another season pass for Kicking Horse/Fernie, and made it to Whistler/Silverstar/Sun Peaks at least once. hopefully twice.
I'm going to keep my Darkside for another season, and likely sell my Aurum frame (or trade it for car parts). the Saint m820s I bought last spring were nothing but problems, if Calgary Cycle can't properly bleed them they will be going away for a set of Guides or Hope V4s. and now that I'm mortgage free, I'm considering upgrading my 2012 Fox 40 to a new 40 Float. can't wait for the hills to open!

If you have any issues with the 820s bring them by and i can fix them. I have 2 sets on my bikes and have been fixing most of the new XT 8000 series hiccups vus far . Im still on the fence with the sram stuff every since the code and newer guides with little support from the sram distributors in Canada.  Hopes always good to just heavy

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 10:08:59 pm »
If you have any issues with the 820s bring them by and i can fix them. I have 2 sets on my bikes and have been fixing most of the new XT 8000 series hiccups vus far . Im still on the fence with the sram stuff every since the code and newer guides with little support from the sram distributors in Canada.  Hopes always good to just heavy

I'll be giving my guides a workout tomorrow. I'll report back with my findings.
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2016, 03:33:48 pm »
I really like my new Sram Guide brakes, a definite improvement over my old Avid Elixir 5's. Braking power was great while still allowing excellent modulation and brake control through the midrange of the lever stroke. I rode a trail called 6 Stiches, which is a super steep, technical rock trail, and these brakes offered great control and confidence throughout. Thoroughly happy with the decision to get the Guides.

On the other hand… this is not how I wanted to start my season… 2nd degree torn MCL.
tornmcl by Evan Jones, on Flickr
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 02:11:43 pm »
Damn, sorry.. them's the breaks.  Caused by the new brakes stopping too well?
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 06:26:36 pm »
Damn, sorry.. them's the breaks.  Caused by the new brakes stopping too well?

Bike ghost shifted to a lower gear under power while approaching a double. Too fast and too close to stop but too slow to clear it. Went over the bars, leg got tangled in the bike and my body rolled while my leg didn't. Then proceeded to get up do a couple more shuttle laps, and then hiked 30 minutes to finish the day off on an awesome technical, steep, rocky trail called 6 Stitches.
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline HondaBilly

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2006 WRX
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 09:24:37 am »
My biggest goal of this season is to try for 1000km of trail riding.  I hit 700km last year, so if I can get out for an extra 20 days I should be able to do it.  Plus I want a road bike for commuting to and from work. 

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 10:20:52 am »
My biggest goal of this season is to try for 1000km of trail riding.  I hit 700km last year, so if I can get out for an extra 20 days I should be able to do it.  Plus I want a road bike for commuting to and from work.

Depending on your commute, a road bike would suck. They're not really meant for stop and go, and drop bars aren't real nice for anything but sick aero.

Something like MEC's Hybrid would be fun. Flat bars, disc brakes, MTB drivetrain, and 32mm tires.
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline Longlivetheride

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2016, 09:12:04 pm »

Cross bikes are also super fun on a commute and can handle some slicks if you don't mind the geo

Trying to build up one of these this year

But currently commuting on this is pretty fun to

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2016, 11:20:50 pm »
I've been commuting on a XC hardtail. Bump the tire pressure up to 45 psi and carry on. I still ride it in the dirt so I haven't put street tires on it, but it does have 27.5 wheels so a 650b setup wouldn't be out of the question.

I personally like the mountain bike for commuting, a little extra weight with the suspension fork, but it's got a lock out and is a little more versatile than a commuter or a road bike.
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1998 Version 5 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R V-Limited
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2016, 01:20:38 am »
Makes me wanna shred sooooooo badly.... Such a peaceful, yet epic video.

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2016, 07:50:03 am »
I don't get how people stay on flats flying through the air and such..  I need clipless to do that.

Offline Unholysavage

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2008 DGM WRX STI
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2016, 08:38:45 am »
that guy isn't on flats, looks like he's rocking Crank Brothers Mallet DH clipless pedals.

for flats, 5.10s are the only shoe worth wearing for DH IMO. and the finer the pins on the pedal, the better your foot sticks. pedals with allen key grub screws suck balls IMO, as the thick pins don't bite nearly as well as finer pins. if you try a pedal like HT AE03s, which have much finer pins, you'll never go back to a pedal with allen key grubs.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2016, 01:34:03 pm »
I don't get how people stay on flats flying through the air and such..  I need clipless to do that.

Practice and maaaaaaaaaaad skills bro.
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1998 Version 5 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R V-Limited
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2016, 01:48:03 pm »
Theres a reason the video is on the RedBull channel :p

Offline KennyB

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05 STi
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2016, 12:31:20 am »
Picked up a NS Soda frame today that I'm super excited to get built up. I haven't had a full suspension since my Stab Primo over 10 years ago and have been wanting something besides a dirtjumper that I can actually trail ride and do some resort riding with. Was eyeing these up last year when I was getting serious about buying something and while poking around bike shops in Fernie today found one for a great deal so impulse bought it. I wanted something with 6" travel, 26" wheel geometry, short top tube and could climb half decently while stll being beefy enough to handle my abuse and this checks all those boxes and looks really nice.

And since I'll be needing a 160mm travel, single crown, 26"wheel, tapered head tube fork for it, preferably in white with a climbing position this was too good of a deal not to get.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/marzocchi-55-micro-switch-ta-forks-20mm-2014/rp-prod112639

Offline soulindk

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2016 Outback 3.6R
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2016, 08:42:07 am »
mmmmm NS Bikes..... >:D

is that white on raw or silver paint?
Smart went crazy and rode a unicorn through the storm. - Atmosphere

Offline Longlivetheride

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2016, 08:45:37 am »
Picked up a NS Soda frame today that I'm super excited to get built up. I haven't had a full suspension since my Stab Primo over 10 years ago and have been wanting something besides a dirtjumper that I can actually trail ride and do some resort riding with. Was eyeing these up last year when I was getting serious about buying something and while poking around bike shops in Fernie today found one for a great deal so impulse bought it. I wanted something with 6" travel, 26" wheel geometry, short top tube and could climb half decently while stll being beefy enough to handle my abuse and this checks all those boxes and looks really nice.

And since I'll be needing a 160mm travel, single crown, 26"wheel, tapered head tube fork for it, preferably in white with a climbing position this was too good of a deal not to get.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/marzocchi-55-micro-switch-ta-forks-20mm-2014/rp-prod112639

Super sharp setup. no just for some chrome NS wheels with hope pro 4's