Author Topic: 2016 Biking Thread  (Read 15888 times)

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
Re: 2016 Biking Thread
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2016, 07:01:08 pm »
I had my hitch modified to have a 2" receiver so now my rack doesn't shake and rattle, should be much better going up the gravel roads.

Untitled by Evan Jones, on Flickr
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Longlivetheride

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: Nissan Juke Nismo, Nissan Frontier,Fix - Cronus Rally MSport R2
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2016, 01:29:02 pm »
finally got out of the shop and got this out !!

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2016, 02:54:06 pm »
... on this canadian site
http://www.tbsbikeparts.com

I bought a RS Pike from them last year, turned out to have its serial number engraved off. 

Didn't know they sold grey market stuff..  FYI if you're looking to buy from them.
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2016, 07:22:54 pm »
Since we are posting blurry phone photo's, here's another.

First pedal since I tore my knee up back in February. Slow and easy, it still feels like it's got a long way to go but it feels awesome to be on the bike regardless.

"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Longlivetheride

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2016, 09:23:47 pm »
I bought a RS Pike from them last year, turned out to have its serial number engraved off. 

Didn't know they sold grey market stuff..  FYI if you're looking to buy from them.

Yea its all grey market stuff. The guy who runs this company's father import furniture from factory close to where the bike stuff is getting produced and is shipped with it. Shimano Canada "has attempted " to shut it down................ hard to argue when its being direct from the factory. In this style of market i stock parts for the installs that are forgotten (brake adapters and rotors etc) or on the labor 

Haven't heard this about the forks though

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2016, 10:28:22 am »
Yeah, on smaller bits i don't think I'd have a problem - derailleurs, shifters, brakes, etc.. but on a suspension fork if there was a problem having the factory back you is nice.
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2016, 09:43:21 am »
I got the go ahead from my physiotherapist to hit the trails again so I went out for the first time last weekend and my knee felt great so I'm hoping to get back into the swing of things 100%. Got some new hardware for the Enduro and going out shortly to test it out!

One other thing I'm looking at is selling my Giant Faith. The more I ride the Enduro the more I enjoy it and the more I think it's better suited for the riding I'm doing now. What do you guys think? The faith is heavier and has only one additional inch of suspension travel. The Enduro likes to climb, is lighter, and has 29" wheels so it should still handle the gnarly stuff okay.

THE EDJ on flickr

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2016, 09:15:10 am »
I'm still on the hunt for a new/used bike now that I sold my DH rig. Went around to a few stores yesterday and test rode a couple Norco's and Giants. Way preferred the Maestro (sp?) link. A couple used bikes slipped through my fingers on kijiji over the weekend so back to the drawing board.

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2016, 10:12:33 am »
^ there's some decent sale bikes at MEC..

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2016, 02:19:40 pm »
^ there's some decent sale bikes at MEC..

I didn't know anyone carried Ghost locally. I was looking at them on CRC but wasn't sure if the brand was legit. Same with Bergamont or however it's spelt.

There's a Giant Anthem that I found this morning that I'm intrigued by. Throw a pair of 120mm forks on it and it could be a blast.

Offline soulindk

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2016 Outback 3.6R
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2016, 05:05:54 pm »
I'm still on the hunt for a new/used bike now that I sold my DH rig. Went around to a few stores yesterday and test rode a couple Norco's and Giants. Way preferred the Maestro (sp?) link. A couple used bikes slipped through my fingers on kijiji over the weekend so back to the drawing board.

I have the Reign X2 and its a great bike. I threw on a custom air shock and the bike is nice and plush.

I've gone out riding twice now. Went to Blue Mountain for some light DH. It was my first time on the big bike since my hard bail last summer. So needless to say, I took it easy.

Yesterday I went to a nearby XC park, the same one they held the Pan Am games race at and blasted through 11km in an hour. As I went to start another trail, I snap my chain on an easy climb and subsequently drive my pelvis into my saddle  :-\ After that, I figured I had enough riding in 31° muggy ontario weather.
Smart went crazy and rode a unicorn through the storm. - Atmosphere

Offline Longlivetheride

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2016, 08:54:49 pm »
I didn't know anyone carried Ghost locally. I was looking at them on CRC but wasn't sure if the brand was legit. Same with Bergamont or however it's spelt.

There's a Giant Anthem that I found this morning that I'm intrigued by. Throw a pair of 120mm forks on it and it could be a blast.

Yup Mec is the Camadian Retailer for them. Was a huge fan of my Riot value wise the Kato has been quite popular with a good spec, Have a few friends on them and they have been enjoying them.

Anthems are fun 120 will slacking it up but might add extra stress to the head tube depending on generation of the anthem but shouldnt kill it . Ive seen way worse 

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2016, 01:02:22 pm »
Yup Mec is the Camadian Retailer for them. Was a huge fan of my Riot value wise the Kato has been quite popular with a good spec, Have a few friends on them and they have been enjoying them.

Anthems are fun 120 will slacking it up but might add extra stress to the head tube depending on generation of the anthem but shouldnt kill it . Ive seen way worse

I've done some reading on the Anthem with a 120mm fork and apparently some of the Giant guys raced, or raced with that configuration. I'm looking at an 07, looks to be in really good shape. The bike was actually spec'd with a 100mm fork in Australia and 80mm in the rest of the world for some reason. The extra travel and a bit slacker geo should make for a fun quick trail bike. Even though the rear is only 3.5", I've read that it feels like it has more.

I just can't justify the new prices. The Trance I tried was $2,900 and the Reign a little bit more. For something I plan on riding and beating up, getting an Anthem for $600 seems better on my wallet lol.

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2016, 06:41:02 pm »
I really like the Masetro suspension, nothing but good things to say about it, but you'd never catch me on a trail bike with less than 5" travel. Sure you could get away with less, but why? Unless you are serious into XC racing then anything in the 30-33 pound range with around 5" of travel is where it's at for trail riding and getting wild once in a while. Expand your budget to around a grand and you can get into some pretty nice bikes from around 2010-2011 if you play your cards right.

Went out last night with a friend who had a drone so we were shooting some video and this happened. Crash doesn't look bad and I landed mostly on my left side yet somehow I re-injured my right wrist (fractured scaphoid a year ago) and doctors can't see anything in the x-ray so I'm hoping for the best. I'm not interested in sitting on the sidelines for another summer!

THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Unholysavage

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2008 DGM WRX STI
« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2016, 07:43:38 pm »
Brutal, hopefully it's just bruised from slapping the ground.
The crash that shattered my triquetral wasn't any worse than yours. Broke the scaphoid on the same side, years earlier, overshooting and flat landing a drop at Whistler. no crash, I rode it out and still cracked it. Wrists (at least mine) don't hold up to very much.

I agree with tryin to get a 5" bike. More comfort, more forgivable in the rough, both of which will keep your enthusiasm up to bike more and more
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2016, 10:12:24 pm »
An anthem wasn't on my radar because it's more of a race bike. But I read such good reviews that I thought I could turn it into a fast lightweight rig. After having a 40lb DH bike, I wanted something light, 30 or under. Been years since I road a non DH bike so maybe something like a reign wouldn't be soooo bad on the trails.

Doesn't matter, I think the lady sold it on me after saying I had first dibs. There's a couple new reign ads though, maybe I'll look into that. A Trance would be perfect.

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2016, 11:32:34 pm »
My friend has a 2009 Anthem X - it's a sweet bike.. it's a lightweight though.. suitable for Edmonton's flowy trails but anything more technical you'd need more of a trail bike.  I prefer my Knolly Endorphin over it.. it's a little burlier with 5" of travel and feels less fragile.

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2016, 08:55:17 am »
My friend has a 2009 Anthem X - it's a sweet bike.. it's a lightweight though.. suitable for Edmonton's flowy trails but anything more technical you'd need more of a trail bike.  I prefer my Knolly Endorphin over it.. it's a little burlier with 5" of travel and feels less fragile.

I'd expect them to be better for how much more money they are lol.

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2016, 10:50:29 am »
They came with pretty ittshay tires, tbh.. if it's not dry and hard packed.  If you replaced the tire they'd be a lot better.

My buddy's cheap though..  he thinks everything should work out of the box.

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2016, 11:16:29 am »
Anyone in here ride an early Reign? There's an 06 that popped up for $800. It's heavier than I'd like, but it would be a good do everything bike that I could still take to COP/lift resorts.

Although, I'm really hoping to find a Trance. There's one I'd buy right now, but it's in Edmonton :(

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2016, 01:38:13 pm »
There's one I'd buy right now, but it's in Edmonton :(

Ain't nothing wrong with that..  I can meet you in Red Deer.

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2016, 03:04:15 pm »
Ain't nothing wrong with that..  I can meet you in Red Deer.

As in pick up said bike from kijiji guy in EDM and meet me in Red Deer? I posted in the courier thread to see if anyone was making a trip. I'd probably pull the trigger if so.

Offline soulindk

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2016 Outback 3.6R
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2016, 06:30:03 pm »
I have the Reign X2 and its a great bike. I threw on a custom air shock and the bike is nice and plush.

IIRC there isn't too much of a difference between the two. The X was a bit beefier.
Smart went crazy and rode a unicorn through the storm. - Atmosphere

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2016, 07:46:19 pm »
I got to go out and shoot some drone footage, so this is a nice departure from the helmet cam video! We only had a couple hours so this is more experimental than anything, but it turned out pretty awesome and I've got some great plans to go out and get some footage of something a little more exciting. Anyways, take a watch and hope you get stoked!

THE EDJ on flickr

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
  • Ride: 2002 toyota tacoma 4dr (RTT crowdsourced with NFTs)
« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2016, 09:13:23 pm »
Anyone wanna go dick around at moose tomorrow?
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff
Subaru(sold) Ford (sold) Toyota