Author Topic: broken header stud on ej2.2  (Read 1379 times)

Offline vanszach

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: '99 forester stb ej205
broken header stud on ej2.2
« on: March 15, 2016, 11:22:10 pm »
so I'm in the process of replacing my clutch and check over the seals and timing (car has 306xxx km) and i soaked the exhaust header bolts and nuts for 3 days in wd-40 and some Pb blaster (ran out). one of the studs has snapped and I'm not 100% sure on how to fix this issue. iv stopped working on it and will be picking up Pb blaster in the morning... anyone ever have this issue and may know the best, most cost effective solution? any help is much appreciated

Offline Jay89

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 WRX airboy tuned, 2017 Lexus IS350
Re: broken header stud on ej2.2
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 12:24:47 am »
How much of it snapped off?
Do you have the header out yet?
Pictures of the situation would help a lot.

Ok here's what I'd do depending on severity of the situation.
If there's enough stud left, try to get two nuts on it With header off and maybe pull it out tha way after soaking in penetrating oil. If his does not work then in my mind, you have two choices.

First being drill into it and use an easy out. If this works, yay day is saved and you'll be on your way.

If it does not work, then you'll have to drill it out. Then re-tap the hole, or maybe even use a helicoil or time sert.

Be extra careful when drilling, to be dead on straight. If it's crooked, the stud new stud won't line up properly and you might have a hell of a time getting the header on.

Those are my suggestions. Maybe someone else has a better idea

341awhp ~330awtq
Project Car

Offline Cbxj

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: assorted Subarus with scoops, & a tiller, the 2 wheeled kind
Re: broken header stud on ej2.2
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 04:22:22 pm »
Ive snapped one before.  Its not that bad, there is lots of "meat" there-  just drill and re tap, to a bigger size if necessary. I would probably skip the easyout, unless you have a torch to administer some heat. The reason id skip the easy out is ive snapped off a couple of good ones and the better they are the harder they are to drill out if you get a little too ham fisted with them. Good luck