Author Topic: Overwatch  (Read 15088 times)

Offline tcon

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: Denali, Rivale
Overwatch
« on: May 05, 2016, 08:17:00 am »
Anybody else playing this? I pre-purchased and am currently in the early access beta. Loving the game play, it's like a MOBA-FPS hybrid, very unique (more so than team fortress) and quite polished.

Offline Perfect Dark

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Wagoon!
Re: Overwatch
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 08:32:14 am »
Love this game!

Played CS and TF2 for hundreds upon hundreds of hours and this is better than both of those from what I've seen so far. 

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
  • Ride: 2020 Tacoma TRD | i used to have a cool wrx
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 09:04:15 am »
It's a pretty awesome game so far, I definitely enjoy it. I was lucky and received a Beta invite earlier this year so I've been playing on/ off and here's some of my thoughts far..

I played TF2 a tremendous amount long ago, (like my steam hours is embarrassing)..

- It's very similar to TF2. The capture point objective, the payload matches, etc. are all ridiculously similar if not almost identical. But, the physics are quite different from TF2. There's a lot more involved in this game in the actual character selection and the play style of each character. It's got a lot more depth and strategy in my eyes than TF2 where you would just play for hours to be the best / top score (atleast thats all I did lol)

- It has a strong Blizzard vibe to it, which I love.  They've always been good with particle effects, like D3, Starcraft, and ofcourse everyone knows WoW (mages amirite?)

- Graphics are very nice, I could manage them on ultra settings highest resolution 30" monitor on my Radeon 7770 but it was struggling.

Cons:
- The amount of "stuff" going on is a real clusterf*ck to me. Maybe I'll get used to it, perhaps people think that of TF2, but I found some points I had no idea wtf I was doing and I was just mashing keys and getting kills or dieng lol. It's a bit difficult to differentiate the enemy team at times, because every "character" looks different really so sometimes my reaction wouldn't be as quick as I wouldn't instantly identify as an enemy.  The objective games definitely require some concentration for the first while before you really understand wtf is going on and what you need to do. Especially if you begin playing the characters based on their roles.. which nobody ever really did I found except.

Good game though. With the new WoW Expansion and new COD announcement, not sure if I'll order it though if I don't play it as much.

Offline Tbone

• Patchy Faced
  • Subaru Slinger
  • Ride: 2017 Legacy 3.6R
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 11:55:28 am »
Having way too much fun playing Overwatch recently. I'm also really into watching Game of Thrones with my fiancée so it's getting in the way of my gaming!
Right now I'm concentrating on getting good at playing each character so I can be a real team player when the time comes. It's a great strategy game and I'm very excited it's finally released.

Offline Perfect Dark

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 12:38:05 pm »
Having way too much fun playing Overwatch recently. I'm also really into watching Game of Thrones with my fiancée so it's getting in the way of my gaming!
Right now I'm concentrating on getting good at playing each character so I can be a real team player when the time comes. It's a great strategy game and I'm very excited it's finally released.

Perfect, I could always use a good healer.  #TanksRule

rith

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 01:01:35 pm »
I enjoy it, it's not really anything ground breaking unfortunately, it's pretty much Blizzards version of TF2

Offline Perfect Dark

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 01:43:01 pm »
I enjoy it, it's not really anything ground breaking unfortunately, it's pretty much Blizzards version of TF2

I don't think the game needed anything groundbreaking to be good though.  The formula is pretty simple but the re playability level is quite high.

Offline Tbone

• Patchy Faced
  • Subaru Slinger
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 02:14:48 pm »
Perfect, I could always use a good healer.  #TanksRule
I played Mercy the whole time I played the beta a while ago so I managed to get very good with her! Add Anxbis#1193 to your Battlenet. If you're on we can game! I've also got Teamspeak if you wanted to chat/play too.

Edit: I'm a PC guy no console.

Offline Perfect Dark

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 02:17:35 pm »
I played Mercy the whole time I played the beta a while ago so I managed to get very good with her! Add Anxbis#1193 to your Battlenet. If you're on we can game! I've also got Teamspeak if you wanted to chat/play too.

Edit: I'm a PC guy no console.

Sounds good!  I'm hoping to have some time to play this weekend.

Offline Polaris

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Couldn't become a real doctor
  • Ride: 2005 LGT
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 06:31:58 pm »
uckfay! I want to play with you guys! TF2 also is one of the most played games in my Steam/console/whatever history, and I've been itching for another game like this! I used to main scout and medic in TF2, what are some similar classes? I'm not sure what my username is but the client says DrPolaris#11975. I'm downloading the open beta right now, and I have a headset as well I use for CSGO

Edit: Just played for the past hour or two. I definitely am digging Tracer, Hanzo, Widowmaker, and Mei

Offline Perfect Dark

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 10:13:21 pm »
uckfay! I want to play with you guys! TF2 also is one of the most played games in my Steam/console/whatever history, and I've been itching for another game like this! I used to main scout and medic in TF2, what are some similar classes? I'm not sure what my username is but the client says DrPolaris#11975. I'm downloading the open beta right now, and I have a headset as well I use for CSGO

The game breaks the characters into different groups in the selection screen so you'll be able to figure it out that way.  Tracer is the most scout like and I'm not much of a healer so someone else will have to speak to that group.

Offline Tbone

• Patchy Faced
  • Subaru Slinger
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 09:12:15 am »
Sounds good!  I'm hoping to have some time to play this weekend.
I'll be on tonight since it's Friday Gaming/Drinking night. A few of my buddies have the game and we all get wasted playing. Maybe join us if you have time tonight? Hahah.

Offline Polaris

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016, 09:39:53 am »
If I pre-purchase now can I play all the way from now until May 24? Open Beta lasts until the 9th unfortunately  :'( I added you Tbone! (I'm DrPolaris#11975)

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
  • Ride: 2020 Tacoma TRD | i used to have a cool wrx
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2016, 10:27:01 am »
Add Kijho#1714 if you wanna play :)

Offline Tbone

• Patchy Faced
  • Subaru Slinger
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2016, 03:10:13 pm »
Add Kijho#1714 if you wanna play :)
I'll add you tonight. I played until 2AM yesterday lol.

Offline Polaris

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2016, 11:47:15 am »
Anyone pre-order the game yet? I have something against pre-ordering games or buying games that are incomplete (most notably H1Z1 which I eventually came to enjoy), and I generally think that pre-ordering might cause developers to become "lazy" or whatever you want to call it, but Blizzard's a huge company and the game is honestly one of the best games that I've played in a long, long time and will most likely become my favorite game.

I was thinking of getting just the standard edition and buying the visual sourcebook on eBay or something (the OST doesn't really interest me, nor does the Soldier 76 statue), or maybe the standard edition and saving up for a Tracer statue or buy some other merchandise from the Overwatch gear store. I also don't play SC2 or D3 anymore, and the five hero skins are alright to me and you can't even see them most of them time (although that was the case in TF2 and I still spent lots on hats.....)

That being said, if you pre-ordered which edition are you getting?

Offline Perfect Dark

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2016, 03:08:46 pm »
I just hit the order button (I may or may not have played until 2am last night).  I just got the standard version, the extras mean nothing to me as I don't play anything else really other than D3 from time to time.

I've learned that I'm old and as such my reflexes are slow haha.  I uckfaying love playing Junkrat, turns out "close enough" is about as accurate as I'm going to get!

Offline Tbone

• Patchy Faced
  • Subaru Slinger
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2016, 03:33:12 pm »
I don't remember what version I got but I remember getting the extras as I'm a big fan of Blizzard-made games. I pre-ordered it like 2 months ago I think. I had the opportunity of a sneak peek when they sent out beta keys a while ago so I had a good idea of what I was buying into. Played last night with a Coworker and 4 other friends and it was non-stop fun. I'm starting to love playing Torbjorn... the turret does most of the work for me and I don't feel one bit bad about it hahah.

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Light a man a fire,  you keep him warm for a night.  Light a man on fire,  you keep him warm the rest of his life.
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2016, 10:36:43 pm »
I'm excited to play this.  Apparently the beta is closed,  but i did just pre-purchase.

Offline Polaris

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2016, 09:26:03 pm »
I just joined an amateur team for funsies and entering into free tournaments. Need 1 more member, preferably a tank but not mandatory, anyone want to join me :P

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Light a man a fire,  you keep him warm for a night.  Light a man on fire,  you keep him warm the rest of his life.
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2016, 10:41:40 am »
I just joined an amateur team for funsies and entering into free tournaments. Need 1 more member, preferably a tank but not mandatory, anyone want to join me :P

Maybe.  I'm a super casual gamer though.  lol

Names Jackal-44 on PSN.

Offline bigdl

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 09 2.5i Hatch RIP
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2016, 10:07:00 am »
Man considering how much I suck at FPS I had a ton of fun playing last night releasing some stress.

Offline Tbone

• Patchy Faced
  • Subaru Slinger
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2016, 10:37:15 am »
Man considering how much I suck at FPS I had a ton of fun playing last night releasing some stress.
Junkrat is the ultimate stress relief.

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2016, 10:55:12 am »
I have't played all the characters yet,  but thus far Road Hog and McCree are my faves.  Followed by Rienhardt.

I'm digging the fast gameplay and the less competitive nature of the game.  The characters all seem pretty well balanced overall.

Offline Polaris

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2016, 11:04:32 am »
Is Overwatch cross-platform? Have a friend who's on PS4 as well that I hope I can play with but if not he's planning on buying a PC copy as well

I recently joined this forum thingie called ODTS (stands for Offence Defense Tank Support) and there's a lot of players in there, discord channel and all that and they have a bunch of teams as well and you can create your own team under ODTS if you want. I usually just post a message looking for a group of 5 or 4 to play with (quick play is sort of a gong show, like 3 bastions and 3 snipers), so if anyone wants to join me here's the discord: http://www.odts.us/?action=outboundclick;url=https%253A%252F%252Fdiscord.gg%252F0rTe68wcRzBHP9p0