Author Topic: 98 Forester auto to manual  (Read 1201 times)

austenjanzen

98 Forester auto to manual
« on: May 23, 2016, 08:22:43 pm »
Hey guys, so my girlfriend is getting sick and tired of driving an automatic and wants a standard

Now I know it'll be easier to buy one but we have done lots of work to hers currently

Now my question is, I am looking at buying a 98 forester 5spd (hers is a 98 auto) now what all needs to be changed? Is it as simple as drop out the tranny and swap (clutch as well) put new pedal assembly in and change the ecu? or

If anyone has done this before please give me some input! I would love to help her do a project! and she loves her forester

austenjanzen

Re: 98 Forester auto to manual
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 08:30:48 pm »
or is it easier to just simply pull everything out and swap everything over to it?

Offline toytech

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2004 forester
Re: 98 Forester auto to manual
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 10:28:42 am »
Pedal box in usually not an easy swap , there is going to be different wiring for the auto and manual trans , the ecu probably will freak out if you don't swap it . Its totally doable but how much time and effort (not to mention stress ) do you want to put into this car ? You can convert a car into anything you want but why try and change its dna when there are cars out there that already are equipped with what you want