Author Topic: DIY: Installing a dead pedal in a base-model EG Civic  (Read 1706 times)

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
DIY: Installing a dead pedal in a base-model EG Civic
« on: May 24, 2016, 08:52:31 pm »
So you've bought yourself a cheap base-model Civic. Great, everyone says, while coming up with excuses to leave the room and avoid further contact with you.

Heading out to the mountains for some illegal touge racing has held some Initial promise. But something's missing. Call it kofun, or maybe just call it the lack of a dead pedal. It's no fun to put your foot against a floormat when you're racing or even just sitting in traffic waiting for the chick in front of you to put her Ford Escape in gear and get it moving on the green.

You decide to install a dead pedal. Here's how you do it.

Ingredients
  • A dead pedal from a superior model of Civic such as the Si ("Yes" in English); model number 46991-SR3-A01 but honestly just go to the junkyard and yank one some chick drove a super sweet looking one into the Barlow yard just the other day that has nothing wrong with it except for a destroyed steering column cover, missing stereo, stained seats and biohazard sticker from when her head hit the inside of the windshield but that won't happen to you ahaha there's no way a car part can be cursed right? Right? I got mine off eBay anyway.
  • M6x20 bolts
  • Washers that fit those bolts

Tools
  • Some sort of cutting implement, maybe a box cutter. Do not drive to the airport and show your cousin Jerry in the screening lineup your cool new knife. Just don't do it. He's got Snapchat.
  • A bolting implement, commonly known as a ratchet, with a 10mm socket
  • The funniest socket extension you've got

Great, you've got all your stuff, and Jerry is no longer inviting you to a family reunion. Let's get started.

We're going to work in this general area here.

May not be exactly as pictured, mine is green

Pull back the carpet behind the pedals. There's a big round clip to the upper left of the clutch pedal, and some velcro. Neither one of them will give you any trouble.

Once that's done, it's revealed that Soichiro's minions have already started cutting a nice piece for you out of the fire retardant sound deadening and there are already some threaded holes.

Once you've removed the pre-cut piece, pull the carpet back up, push it hard against the sound deadening and cut wherever you feel an indentation.

You'll end up with something like this, if you were drunk.

Put the washers on the bolts, then put the bolts through the hole in the dead pedal into the threaded holes in the car body. Make sure you use an extension - if you wanted to work, you'd be procrastinating at work by reading a bicycling forum right now.

A little bit of wrench turning later and nobody you know will admit to being your friend.

Note the high-quality cad-plated Grade 12.9 hex fasteners. These are essential for keeping that dead pedal from moving under the immense force you will be placing on it after shifts and when leaning into corners. Do not note the junky mild-steel washers I saddled them with because I lost the bag that had nice new washers.

And there you have it! You've taken your base model Civic and made it a grase model Civic!

That's French for "great."

Offline snakeman

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: The Matrix
Re: DIY: Installing a dead pedal in a base-model EG Civic
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 07:12:10 pm »
I'm surprised you haven't penned a creepy short story about a dead pedal.

EDIT: On jalopnik. I'm talking about jalopnik here.