Author Topic: 2006 Outback XT engine interchangability  (Read 1639 times)

Offline Victor

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2000 BH 2006 BP
2006 Outback XT engine interchangability
« on: May 26, 2016, 09:03:59 pm »
Hello everyone! I have an 06 OXT Limited with a severe engine failure.

First problem is the ringlands in #2 piston is completely shattered and you can see the piston rings.

Second issue was it had an oil consumption condition which the engine ran dry on oil..

At this time, I am looking at replacing the short block and I know of a set of heads from a 2011 STi EJ257 that are available. Would I be able to make use out of these heads on the new short block assembly? I am also looking at doing the STi conversion, (Intake plenum, turbo and intercooler)

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Your typical Asian driver
  • Ride: W164 BT, 02 C5Z06 Wasp
Re: 2006 Outback XT engine interchangability
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 10:20:11 pm »
There is a master shopping list for engine replacement on the legacygt. com forum. The short block is interchangeable. The heads needs some work. There is a nice thread on wsc about how to concert STI heads with dual avcs to single avcs. Follow the master thread on lgt. com and replace everything the oil had gone through. Oil cooler, avcs oil control valves, pick up tube, etc.

Offline Victor

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2000 BH 2006 BP
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 01:18:00 pm »
I really appreciate your reply, going through the master shopping list right now! If I was to install the STi turbo (VF48), STi intercooler and red STi intake plenum. Do I need to replace the wire harness at the passenger side strut tower and replace the ECM with an STi specific ECM?

Thank you!

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Your typical Asian driver
  • Ride: W164 BT, 02 C5Z06 Wasp
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 01:36:37 pm »
I really appreciate your reply, going through the master shopping list right now! If I was to install the STi turbo (VF48), STi intercooler and red STi intake plenum. Do I need to replace the wire harness at the passenger side strut tower and replace the ECM with an STi specific ECM?

Thank you!

I think your outback ECM and wiring harness would be OK. There is an STI conversion thread on LGT.com you can reference. The STI top feed fuel rail and injectors will be needed, since 06 outback still had side feed injectors. You'll likely have to make a new duct for the hood scoop. Of course, with this many changes to the car, you'll need a custom tune.