Author Topic: Something to think about while changing timing belt  (Read 2015 times)

Offline hank75

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 09 WRX Hatch
Something to think about while changing timing belt
« on: May 31, 2016, 11:54:10 am »
 I just changed the timing belt on my 09 Wrx about 2 weeks ago. Parts replaced were all idlers, belt and belt tensioner and crankshaft bolt. While disassembled I inspected all cam seals, crank seals for leaks and found the whole inside of timing cover was dry and clean. I reassembled with new parts. Flash forward 2 weeks and after retuning home to Calgary from Carstairs, I notice a lot of smoke coming out of my hood scoop. a closer examination showed a very large oil leak. Oil was actually smeared all the way to the rear axles. Oil is leaking from inside timing cover. I removed rad and removed timing covers. re-installed rad and ran with timing covers off with dye is the oil, I found a major leak in the crankshaft  seal. It was clean and dry when I changed the belt and I never even pulled the cog for the crank off. I discovered through the dealer there have been updates to the crank seal, as the one I removed practically fell out. it looks like it came out of the oil pump bore and was rubbing on crank belt cog. Old one has metal ring on outside( in Picture) new one doesn't.
 My suggestion is to always replace crank seal and add anaerobic sealer to the outside as a little assurance to keep it in the oil pump bore.

Offline davewilson

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2005 Legacy GT, 2000 2.5RS, 1996 Legacy Wagon [sold]
Re: Something to think about while changing timing belt
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 05:02:52 pm »
I had the exact same thing happen in my 1996 Legacy 2.2L a few years ago. It happened while I was halfway to Portland... so I kept going and just kept adding oil as I drove. I was loosing about a liter every 150kms, got some funny looks from other drivers as I cruised along in my smoking red station wagon.

It took a few gallons of oil to get the car home. I pulled the engine and replaced all the seals accross the front of the engine, never had a problem since.

I think the reason the "old" seal has a metal surface is because it was rubbing on the backside of the timing belt drive pulley and the rubber has worn off that surface, mine looked the same.

Cool to see that I'm not the only one this has happened to!

2005 Legacy GT Sedan [sold]
2000 Impreza 2.5RS Stage Rally Car [sold]>>> Link to Build Thread <<<
1996 Legacy Wagon [sold]
2018 Forester 2.5i

Offline AdrenalineXI

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ryan
  • Ride: 98 OBS
Re: Something to think about while changing timing belt
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 10:18:21 am »
You can add the car I just picked up to the list of crank seal failures. It was out far enough that it took very little force with a small hook to pull it out completely. The cam seals on the other hand... those were a itchbay to remove. There was so much oil on everything in the timing belt area that I just replaced the cam seals as well in case some of the oil came from them. Now cleaning all this oil off the engine and underbody... that's something I'm not looking forward to.