Author Topic: Let's talk dropper posts...  (Read 4042 times)

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
Let's talk dropper posts...
« on: June 06, 2016, 07:36:53 pm »
Who's using them?
What do you have?
Where'd you get it?
What did it cost?

Couple weekends ago I went to some LBS to see what was out there, and rode a couple Giants that came with dropper seatposts. I never put much thought into them but after even just riding around the parking lot, I could really see the value of one of these on the trails. I've been scouring kijiji and Pink Bike and found what should be my next bike, picking it up tomorrow after work. It's coming in under budget so I may upgrade some parts. Because, well why not? lol.

Looking on ebay, it's looking like the cheapest option is going to be roughly $20 CAD once everything is said and done. From a brand I've never heard of. If I used the budget of what I sold my DH rig for, I have $250 to play with. Outside of a tuneup, the bike I'm picking up doesn't need anything so I'm really just finding an excuse to spend money. I may or may not. Just looking at my options.

I wanted a M frame. The one I'm picking up is a small, which I'm cool with. I like smaller bikes, feel more maneuverable. Had a M DH frame and felt sketched, way more confident on the S. Being a trail oriented bike, I was shooting for a M but can't pass on this deal. So a dropper could really be a good investment here.

Anyway, figured I'd start the discussion.

Conversely, what would I better be suited to putting money towards? Don't want to mention the bike till I have it, but should be ~32lbs as is, 140/150mm travel (f/r), Avid Juicy 3s and X5/X7 components. As long as nothing needs replacing, it's a good groupset. Saving weight will be the idea behind upgrades moving forward, and maybe a 160mm fork (1 1/8 w/ 20mm axle). I'm thinking maybe bars, stem, wtc to lose weight. But might hold off till stuff needs replacing.

The cheap dropper I've been seeing and would go with is the KS ETen: http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Tested-KS-ETen-Seatpost-2013.html

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
Re: Let's talk dropper posts...
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 10:02:37 pm »
Changed trail riding for me. Would never go back. Might be the best invention since disc brakes. I have the Giant one, 4" travel. It's relatively cheap compared to other options and got a lot of good reviews.
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 10:25:06 pm »
I like to keep the seat high. Makes it easy to hook the chamois in my spandex on the seat horn and give the guy behind me a full moon.
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 10:42:55 pm »
Changed trail riding for me. Would never go back. Might be the best invention since disc brakes. I have the Giant one, 4" travel. It's relatively cheap compared to other options and got a lot of good reviews.

The cheap KS one seems to have the same travel with very favorable reviews. Been a while since I trail rode, but I think this would be worthy of the ~$200 investment. Jenson USA has them for $173, think I saw free shipping listed too. Makes me glad I should be coming in a third under budget, gives me wiggle room for extras.

I like to keep the seat high. Makes it easy to hook the chamois in my spandex on the seat horn and give the guy behind me a full moon.

Thanks for the warning, I'll make sure never to ride behind you lol.

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 11:23:09 pm »
One thing to keep in mind is the type of lever that controls the dropper. They take up real estate on the bars and each brand has their own flavour of actuation. Some are push button type, some rotate around the bars and some are similar to a trigger on a shifter. My personal preference is a lever that rotates around the bar and doesn't interfere with any brake levers or shifter pods. I run a 2x10 drivetrain so space on the bars is limited!
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 12:53:12 am »
The Giant one is internal only, no?  That means for some of us we'd need to drill  a hole to run the cable.. 
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline HondaBilly

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2006 WRX
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 08:16:54 am »
Changed trail riding for me. Would never go back. Might be the best invention since disc brakes.

So much of this.  I have the Rockshox Reverb that came with my new bike.  It's amazing. 

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 08:24:39 am »
The Giant one is internal only, no?  That means for some of us we'd need to drill  a hole to run the cable..

Nope, I have the new Contact SL. It's externally routed (though my frame has holes and I may get the shop to change this next time my bike goes in for service). I think I paid $283 for the post, all in.
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 09:37:20 am »
Oh, cool.  I've read some good things bout it.. more dependable than Thomson.  Where'd you get it, from your LBS?
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline kold911

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2014 forester XT, 1/2 of a 2003 wrx
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 09:39:56 am »
I want the 9point8 fall line, best one out there hands down.. but that'll have to wait.

I'm intrigued by the electric wireless dropper by magura, as I hate routing cables internally, but hate external cables as well, lol.
Jeff

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2016, 10:23:20 am »
I want the 9point8 fall line, best one out there hands down.. but that'll have to wait.

I'm intrigued by the electric wireless dropper by magura, as I hate routing cables internally, but hate external cables as well, lol.

The 9Point8 looks pretty sweet. More than I'd be looking to spend at the moment, but it looks like a great piece. I'm going to continue looking, but I think I am going to order something. The KS ETen at the least, as it's gotten excellent reviews for the price. Jenson has a pretty good price on it too with free shipping I think I saw. So maybe get some bling items too. I'm sure after picking up the bike today, I'll be doing more shopping tonight lol.

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2016, 10:33:47 am »
Oh, cool.  I've read some good things bout it.. more dependable than Thomson.  Where'd you get it, from your LBS?

LBS yeah. I'm a bit of a stickler for brand continuity so I want a huge fan to put Giant parts on a Specialized bike, but it's an awesome post and I'll vouch for it.
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline krisr33

• Vendor
  • Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 05 WRB STI Airboy tuned
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2016, 11:45:35 am »
If you want the latest and greatest magura just released their wireless dropper post.

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2016, 12:19:14 pm »
If you want the latest and greatest magura just released their wireless dropper post.

Read a review on it and they said they were excited about the future, but the wireless had some quarks with it still. To rich for my blood either way, but cool idea.

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2016, 12:56:27 pm »
Fox just released their new Transfer dropper post today. Check out Pinkbike for the rundown.
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2016, 06:34:25 pm »
Fox just released their new Transfer dropper post today. Check out Pinkbike for the rundown.

That's a nice looking piece, and surprisingly a pretty fair price. I was surprised with it being Fox and all.

I picked up my new bike tonight, 09 Specialized Pitch Comp (pic in the bike thread). I think a dropper post for it would be perfect. There's a guy who has a 2015 Specialized one that he'll sell for $200 shipped: http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1990097/ . Has anyone used the Specialized one? The other one I'm looking at is the KS Eten http://www.jensonusa.com/Dropper-Posts/KS-Eten-Remote-Seatpost . I could find something extra to spend $20 USD on for the free shipping.

Which one would you guys go with?

Offline krisr33

• Vendor
  • Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 05 WRB STI Airboy tuned
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2016, 07:35:36 am »
Having dealt with many dropper posts as I work in the revolution cycle warranty department. I would have to say the specialized post is the best of those options. It's purely mechanical and very easy to service. If you are to get the specialized I would recommend taking it apart to remove the old grease and put in some new stuff and change the valve core. Having done this a few times I would recommend using slick honey grease, as it is lower viscosity than traditional grease

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2016, 10:47:36 am »
I work in the revolution cycle warranty department.

Oh, so that's your WRB that I always see parked out back.  :D  Nice car!

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
  • Ride: 2002 toyota tacoma 4dr (RTT crowdsourced with NFTs)
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2016, 12:06:57 pm »
I have the RS reverb. cost me ~280 shipped on sale at CR cycles. I got the smaller range one, and its max length is slightly too long for my frame/stubby legs. I got the right side lever and mounted it upside down on the left and it works great. Didnt even have to bleed after cutting the cable. So far i uckfayin love it, although getting it to clamp wasnt easy, I had to rough up the inside of the seat tube with a file.

Bought the RS based on reviews from friends. Some people dont like em because they are basically impossible to service, but most people love em regardless because they work so great. Being able to set the lifted height exactly where i want is rad.

As RTP says, its best to leave it up all the time while riding in order to get that "pro-lean" and to make sure everyone can see how serious you are. But... it sure is convenient for getting on the bike, as my spandex crotch is already stretched to near-maximum.
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff
Subaru(sold) Ford (sold) Toyota

Offline ultimatt

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Thrusting in the direction of the problem.
  • Ride: Thundercougarfalconbird
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2016, 12:35:50 pm »
So these are auto seat droppers? You know they make bikes that pedal for you too, right? :P
<+  Hurrbie> becuase ultimasshole

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2016, 12:52:52 pm »
Yeah, I get off my bike and hand-move the chain when I want to change gears too...  :sarcasm: :sarcasm:

get with the future old man.
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2016, 12:54:36 pm »
Having dealt with many dropper posts as I work in the revolution cycle warranty department. I would have to say the specialized post is the best of those options. It's purely mechanical and very easy to service. If you are to get the specialized I would recommend taking it apart to remove the old grease and put in some new stuff and change the valve core. Having done this a few times I would recommend using slick honey grease, as it is lower viscosity than traditional grease

Thanks, I was leaning towards that option. It looks like this dropper runs the cable inside the frame? I was cleaning my new bike yesterday and didn't notice a spot for the cable to come out, unless it just comes out the bottom of the headtube? I'd think that would look silly, but what do I know lol.

Offline ultimatt

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2016, 02:00:21 pm »
Yeah, I get off my bike and hand-move the chain when I want to change gears too...  :sarcasm: :sarcasm:

get with the future old man.

Gears? What sort of sorcery is this!

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2016, 02:15:35 pm »
Gears? What sort of sorcery is this!

Offline ultimatt

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2016, 02:18:04 pm »
How did you hack into seatsafetyswitch's computer and find his spank bank folder?