Author Topic: Orca's Slow and Steady Saabaru - keep on keeping on  (Read 8686 times)

Offline OrcasNotOilers

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2006 Saab 9-2x 2.5i 5MT, 2008 Jeep Patriot North 5MT (For Sale), 2013 Acura MDX
Orca's Slow and Steady Saabaru - keep on keeping on
« on: June 08, 2016, 02:34:49 pm »
Updated July 2017

It's been a couple of months now with this car and I'd thought I'd document the progress, mostly for my own sake and to get some feedback from all the folks on here. As I introduced previously, I picked this up in Athabasca for a decent price, with around 190k on it. Plans are fairly simple - keep it a fun DD, learn a bit about these cars, learn to be a better driver. Slow and steady because that's how ribs should be cooked and that's going to be the pace on this build.

Because history and context are fun, a little background on me. My introduction to the Subaru world was through WRC. I lived overseas and we had no hockey coverage, but did have the Speed channel. My dad and I dove into F1 and WRC (as these are the real races, where drivers do more than go in circles) and I quickly noticed that gorgeous blue car driven by Solberg and friends. I wanted one. When I moved back to Canada, an older friend of mine took me for a spin in his 90s (fuzzy memory) Impreza, which he later upgraded to an STi. Jealous, again I wanted one. But I ended up with a '92 Jeep Cherokee as my first vehicle, because it was 'more practical'. I largely forgot about Subaru's and the possibility of owning one until I got my hands on this Saab and the childhood dreams flooded back seeing all your builds.

Back to the car. Here's start of the list of what I plan to do, mostly just near future things. Feedback is always welcome, most of you seem to be reasonable and understanding. The wifey and I have discussed a very limited budget ("I thought the car was working...?"), so a lot of this will be built off of parts the rest of you rip off your cars and put up for cheap. Let me know if you have a piece I should be interested in. Most of the ideas come from forum lurking between here and the saab92x.com site.

Always the student, feel free to tell me I'm going about things the wrong way. I try and do most things myself, though engine work I've stayed away from (blew two of the 4.0L AMC I6's on the Cherokee - but not really my fault), but I could encouraged to try. However, I've done my research to know the EJ253 isn't worth putting effort into while it's still breathing. If it dies...well let's not go there.

To-Do (in order of priority)
- General aesthetics, starting with getting rid of some rust spots, dings, and adding some tint in the back
- Bushings, bushings, bushings
- A giant spoiler and undercar neon - go away, NeedForSpeed Underground...

In Progress
- Upgrade struts/springs

Completed
- Brakes
- Rear sway bar (up to stock WRX level, hurrah!)
- Hella Micro DE Fog Lights
- Front lip and chrome delete on some of dem grilles
- RA UR flaps
- Group N transmission mount & bushings
- Sub and amp install
- Audi A4 rear linky-dinks

Endlinks
Went with el cheapo approach for my rear endlinks, using the Audi fronts (thanks SSS).

If anything, all this did was make me want a bigger bar in the back. I find the ramp Calgary Trail southbound onto Whitemud east a fun roll test. From the 5 minute blast the steering doesn't feel terribly different, perhaps a bit livelier, which should be expected but I could just be full of it. I want to feel the handling on a meaty RSB...

Group N mount, bushings, mudflaps - Oct 2016
Mostly successful. Unfortunately, I committed a cardinal sin on the re-install - definitely busted the weld on the crossmember 17mm weld nut. Stupid me read a couple of re-install notes and definitely only saw "103 ft-lbs" not "DON'T torque to 103 ft-lbs; the translation is wrong". The good news is, it was on the reinstall so it's tight and I'm not going to worry about it right now. Unless someone tells me otherwise.

Fog Light Install - May 2016
This one took a little bit of adjustment. Thanks to Dan's advice I knew going in these wouldn't fit stock, and after some research found that ~ 1.5" shift forward from the stock holes works well. A little bit of cutting and drilling to fit the Hella brackets, and voila.

I don't have a picture with the fog light bezel in place, but there is a small gap I'd like to get rid of. Some previous installs used foam tape, others made a custom fit ring to make it look OEM...we'll see.

Offline OrcasNotOilers

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2006 Saab 9-2x 2.5i 5MT, 2008 Jeep Patriot North 5MT (For Sale), 2013 Acura MDX
Re: Orca's Slow and Steady Saabaru
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 09:24:03 pm »
Update for June 24th

Installed 17mm rear sway (stock WRX but an upgrade to me) and got fog lights working.
Also picked up a can of PlastiDip while and Home Despot and decided to black out some of the grille 'chrome' and the bottom lip. TBD whether I like it better or not, but the lip was looking pretty beat up so currently it's an upgrade anyway.

4 mm isn't that much to the naked eye:

Dipped lip and un-chroming, plus working fogs! Hooray!

Any comments on aiming fog lights? I pretty much eyeballed it, but I'm sure I could do better. Will have to see at night.

The next while will most likely be some overdue suspension and steering fixes on the Patriot (R&R rear upper control arms, tie rod ends), and then probably the front brakes on the Saab. I think the biggest need is a proper wash, since it seems any drop of dirt/water seems to cling like a wet T-shirt on a sweaty pig. Also cleaning those headlights *shudder*.

Offline JohnnyCanuck

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2005 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 02:40:17 am »
Looking good!  You might want to also change the end links for the rsb; Whiteline/Kartboy etc.
Turbo Schmurbo. - Ghandi

Offline OrcasNotOilers

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 08:22:18 am »
Definitely. I'm going to keep my eyes out for a set when the budget catches up :p the feel was different, but not by a ton, which I imagine has a lot to do with the rather sloppy end links.

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 12:59:24 pm »
If you just want cheap rear endlinks the front endlinks for some Audi A4s are aluminum and have pretty damn close to the same dimensions as the rear Impreza endlinks.

You can pick those up from RockAuto for cheap, B7 fronts is what I have on my wagon's rear.

Offline OrcasNotOilers

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 10:30:23 am »
Mudflaps, group-N mount, and crossmember bushings are scheduled to arrive on Friday! Hooray! As well the wife has a night out on Saturday freeing me up to install right away!! Double hooray!

Limited budget holds me to one upgrade at a time, and with the pending snow I figured the transmission upgrade is probably wiser than moving to stiffer endlinks right before it gets slippery. My shifting habits are improving bit by bit, though I have a feeling I will need to do the clutch sooner than later...I'm at 190k I don't think it's been done.

Offline OrcasNotOilers

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 01:50:53 pm »
Update for tranny mount and mudflaps. Yes, I overtorqued my 17mm crossmember bolt. It's tight and snug so I'm saving it for "later-Ben". "Past-Ben" is a jerk. Apparently the fix is drilling through the floor. Hooray.

Picked up a hidden hatch sub, amp, and double DIN deck from broosterh the other day, who I found out has a rex in his garage that he's basically stripping anything interior on, btw. Ordered a wiring kit from Amazon and will tackle that next week.

Exterior photos aren't necessary yet because all that's different is flappy flaps and plasti-dip. My brother isspayed on me for going rally without actually rallying, so I'll have to consider showing up to an ERC event sometime in the future.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 02:00:47 pm »
what's an isspayed
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline OrcasNotOilers

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 03:47:55 pm »
It's what you get used to saying around a wife who doesn't like hearing you say pissed. I suppose it should properly be issedpay, but what gives.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • seat safety switch
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 03:51:36 pm »
Update for tranny mount and mudflaps. Yes, I overtorqued my 17mm crossmember bolt. It's tight and snug so I'm saving it for "later-Ben". "Past-Ben" is a jerk. Apparently the fix is drilling through the floor. Hooray.
My condolences.

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 07:27:02 pm »
Yes, I overtorqued my 17mm crossmember bolt.

seat safety switch is more than happy to shimmy under your car, without safety squints, and help fix that up for ya.
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • seat safety switch
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 10:12:35 am »
seat safety switch is more than happy to shimmy under your car, without safety squints, and help fix that up for ya.
Safety glasses just fog up when I light my cigar with the oxy/ace.

Offline OrcasNotOilers

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2016, 11:29:29 am »

I'm assuming you've done this before? Sauce for post? And I'm guessing it's not something I need to worry about for now.

After all, it is snug...crosses fingers...

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2016, 11:42:06 am »
SSS dickered his earlier this year.
I wouldn't worry personally, crossed threads are the best kind of loctite.
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • seat safety switch
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2016, 01:51:57 pm »
Yeah, I removed that crossmember bolt and it came out with the threads attached. I ignored it for a few months until my transmission crossmember fell out, so I helicoiled it and put a fresh bolt in.

The captive nut stayed attached.

Problem happens, then is ignored here: http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=39851.msg560969#msg560969

Crossmember falls out here: http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=39851.msg642657#msg642657

Story ends here: http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=39851.msg644055#msg644055

Offline OrcasNotOilers

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2016, 08:59:38 am »
So it seems I may have to tackle this earlier than I thought...welp.

Clutch has been getting worse and worse over the last while. At first I attributed it to me getting used to moving from driving Jeep my whole life, but it's definitely been slipping more. I'm nearly at 200k so it shouldn't come at too much of a surprise, and I wonder if the Group N install just exasperated things.

Regardless it seems like I'm due. Buddy of mine prophetically asked me if I had replaced the clutch a month ago; guess who's getting a call...I tackled this before with my Cherokee but I was 17 at the time and had some serious wrenching help - dad and friend who was a helicopter mechanic.

Though I have my candidacy in a month so I really should stop thinking about doing work on the car...

Offline OrcasNotOilers

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2017, 11:54:44 pm »
So I have it written down: oil done at 201571, EZ oil drain installed on both vehicles. Made a mess.

DaDuke99

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2017, 11:57:23 pm »
Haha, how do you like those valves? I have one I've been meaning to put on the sti, but with me taking it in the grass/mud once in a while I got too worried I'd accidentally knock it open somewhere (not one with the lock, just the push up and turn kind)

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2017, 06:59:16 am »
Haha, how do you like those valves? I have one I've been meaning to put on the sti, but with me taking it in the grass/mud once in a while I got too worried I'd accidentally knock it open somewhere (not one with the lock, just the push up and turn kind)

If your oil pan is like mine, the plug doesn't shoot straight down, but rather at an angle from a corner. The valve doesn't protrude much lower than the pan itself.
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline OrcasNotOilers

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2017, 08:33:51 am »
The valve doesn't protrude much lower than the pan itself.

This. Well, I just installed them, so I haven't really had a chance to use them. But jellynuts is right - the difference is minimal. Unless you are dropped so low your plug was already in danger of scraping in parking lots, then I really don't think you need to be worried.

DaDuke99

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2017, 04:17:47 pm »
I'm more concerned with mud holes on gravel roads, and uneven fields when we go camping. I've managed to lose the spring bolts on my exhaust somehow doing it, so I'd rather not take the chance  :)

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2017, 05:29:35 pm »
Skid plate man :p
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

DaDuke99

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2017, 05:31:07 pm »
Yeah it's on the list lol. The plastic one is there, but there's very little trust in that thing to begin with

Offline OrcasNotOilers

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2017, 08:57:34 am »
There's definitely more oil on the underside of this vehicle than there should be, and I think this summer should be the time to tackle it, once I can use the road bike again.

I'm beginning to think pulling the engine is the way to go, considering the clutch should be done too. That way I can check everything. The only head gaskets I've done were on a 4.0L I6 in a Cherokee and I have a strange feeling the subie heads aren't as easy to access...

Offline OrcasNotOilers

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2017, 07:53:16 am »

*Sigh*.