Author Topic: Anyone have experience with Marin?  (Read 1222 times)

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
Anyone have experience with Marin?
« on: May 16, 2016, 03:21:12 pm »
I sold my DH bike over the weekend and am looking to get into something more trail friendly. I’ve been looking at kijiji and Pinkbike but now that I’ve seen everything that’s on there, it’s down to little new option each day. I’m not set on a price range per se, but under a grand would be nice.

I found a 2012 Marin East Peak 5.5 for $750 and it looks like it may fit the bill. It might be a bit big for me at 19”, I’ll have to see how it fits. Just curious if anyone has experience with Marin, or even better with this specific model? I can’t find the weight online, but I’m expecting it’s somewhere in the 30-32 lbs ball park.

I’m also open to options. Trail riding and something that won’t gas me going uphill. The Stinky was just too much bike to trail ride so I never used it. Seems like you can’t get anything new in the $1500 range anymore if you want full suspension.

Thanks

Offline Longlivetheride

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: Nissan Juke Nismo, Nissan Frontier,Fix - Cronus Rally MSport R2
Re: Anyone have experience with Marin?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 11:35:32 am »
Marin makes a nice bike their claim to fame is using 7000 series aluminum vs most us 6000 series bit lighter.

For 750 its not bad but the bike based on the specs i could find would have sold around 1750ish or less. Specs a pretty no name main concerns would be fork and shock servicing as most bike sold at this level don't see to much extra maintenance past what free service is cover by the shop purchased from. if the drive train is worn out you are looking at about $200 or so to replace for parts not including labor

Check this out if you are every curious of prices on used. Its descent as a gauge but keep in mind they quote US currency
http://www.bicyclebluebook.com/SearchListingDetail.aspx?id=3028293

My 2 cents is let this one pass and maybe hold out for a sale at a shop at least you will get properly fitted a free service plan and a lot has changed since 2012 with bicycle specs

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
Re: Anyone have experience with Marin?
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 10:37:36 am »
I've stumbled on that site before, thanks!

This bike sold anyway, and I wasn't quick to see it as I thought it would be a bit bigger than I wanted anyway. Still looking. That said, I likely won't be getting a new one from a LBS. Just too much money, although I haven't gone in to many of them yet. I checked one downtown and from what I could tell, you're looking at at least $2k to get into a base full suspension bike.

I'm hoping to get something around the 30 lbs mark. Although I may buy something a bit higher with the expectation of upgrading certain parts to get to that goal.