Author Topic: Doom  (Read 1846 times)

Offline Rad_Racer

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2013 Lexus IS-F
Doom
« on: June 29, 2016, 01:03:29 pm »
I got Doom for PS4 a little over a week ago. I played a TON of Doom 2 (and a fair bit of Doom) when I was a teenager and I was worried that with this new release, they would have created an entirely different experience from the originals. I'm about halfway through the single player campaign now, and I love it. The weapons and enemies are so reminiscent of the originals, while being tweaked to give a pretty good balance to the game. Most important to me, though, was the experience. I remembered in the old games that little bit of fear/excitement when you were in a dark and quiet room and suddenly heard a growl from an enemy. That fear is back! The pace of the game is also true to the originals, with brief quiet/safe times followed by intense battles with several enemies and often not nearly enough ammo. They have added some new elements like Quad Damage (from Quake), Glory Kills and weapon and suit upgrades, which I felt were a bit gimmicky at first, but they've grown on me. There's also a bigger story element in the game than in the originals -- not amazing, but it adds an extra element of intrigue.

I did play Multiplayer on the open beta which I really wasn't a big fan of (it felt a lot like Unreal Tournament to me), but I haven't tried it on the actual released game, so I'll reserve judgment until later.

Load times are pretty long, but you kind of need a rest sometimes anyway, so that's not so bad haha.

Single Player I'd have to give 10/10 as I just can't give any justification to rate it lower. Favourite game I've played in ages.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
Re: Doom
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 01:49:06 pm »
I remembered in the old games that little bit of fear/excitement when you were in a dark and quiet room and suddenly heard a growl from an enemy. That fear is back!

Totally with you on the dark quiet room.  I remember jumping out of my seat when a door opened up to a growling zombieman.

Great review, thanks very much. 
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Online STI 2NV

• Vendor
  • Beards Comin in Nice
  • Car Enthusiast, Unenthusiastic.
    • Teknique Auto Innovations
  • Ride: 1995 Nissan Skyline GTR, 2012 Audi S4 6MT, 2012 Subaru STI Hatch, 2004 Pontiac Sunfire Coupe
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 04:17:23 pm »
This was a great review. Makes that steam sale sound even better.
Teknique Auto Innovations
780-980-3006
#103 7611 Sparrow Drive
Leduc Alberta
Tekniqueman on VinWiki and Instagram

Offline Zac

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I liek stuff
  • Ride: 05 LGT Wagon, 08 Jeep WK CRD
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 06:22:18 pm »
Downloaded the demo last night and played a bit. Was really impressed!

Offline Rad_Racer

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 09:51:39 am »
Oh and if you get it for PS4, set aside about an hour and a half from the time you put the disc in your PS4 to the time you actually get to start playing the game. HUGE patch download.  ::)

Offline BuzSTid

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 09:02:00 am »
played the demo... bought the game, 40 odd GB download on steam :o.

Offline booSTIn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 07:20:15 pm »
Anyone else followed through with this?  I got into the game pretty hard for a few days then just meh.   The original doom Easter eggs we're pretty entertaining though.

Offline Rad_Racer

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 01:53:00 pm »
I'm up to Titan's Realm now (level 10 I think?). Haven't had a lot of time to play the last few days, but when I do I usually find myself breaking a sweat haha.

Online STI 2NV

• Vendor
  • Beards Comin in Nice
  • Car Enthusiast, Unenthusiastic.
    • Teknique Auto Innovations
  • Ride: 1995 Nissan Skyline GTR, 2012 Audi S4 6MT, 2012 Subaru STI Hatch, 2004 Pontiac Sunfire Coupe
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 07:35:29 am »
I bought it during the steam sale. I'll play as soon as I have more time on my hands. Played the intro, I think my settings are set too dark.
Teknique Auto Innovations
780-980-3006
#103 7611 Sparrow Drive
Leduc Alberta
Tekniqueman on VinWiki and Instagram

Offline BuzSTid

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 09:21:12 am »
Anyone else followed through with this?  I got into the game pretty hard for a few days then just meh.   The original doom Easter eggs we're pretty entertaining though.
agreed, after 2 weeks the shiny wore off, no regrets though.

Offline Rad_Racer

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2016, 09:49:33 am »
I've been stuck at the final boss for a couple days now haha. I have to do short stints or I start getting angry.