Author Topic: Anyone from Victoria BC?  (Read 1898 times)

patriki

Anyone from Victoria BC?
« on: January 29, 2008, 03:50:02 pm »
Anyone on here from Victoria BC?

I might be visiting the place this summer to visit some friends on the west coat. One of the places will be Victoria BC. I always loved BC for its mountainous scenery and waned to live there (unlike the Southern Ontario flats).. Ok ok - so Ontario  is completely flat, but it's just not good enough haha.

If you live in the area or have been to the are before, tell me a little about it. I've tried googling this, but found little information so far. Just that it has a nice port with some crazy nice looking ships that come in there often. Some nice buildings and that it supposedly rains about 40% less than Vancouver. Also hear that the beach is absolutely beautiful and the sand is very soft.

Myself, I'm a beach bum! I love the beach and the sun. I actually wish I was on the beach right about now :( haha.

Pictures are appreciated as well  :mrgreen:.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
Re: Anyone from Victoria BC?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 04:28:11 pm »
I grew up in Victoria... lived there till i was 18 and moved to Vancouver to go to school. My family still lives in Vic. What kinda stuff do you want to know?

Victoria is a pretty slow, touristy town (especially in the summer). Downtown is really nice to walk around in. Definitely visit the University cause its pretty nice to just walk around in during the summer. As for beaches, hit up Willows Beach (some friends of mine used to run the concession there, and they still might) in Oak Bay. Also, while you're in that area, take a drive through the Uplands... its the nicest neighborhood in Victoria. On the other side of the uplands is a beach called Gyro Park... really nice area with nice soft sand and lots of university students (read: hot girls).

Other areas to see: Buchart Gardens is really nice in the summer. Also, the Empress hotel in downtown... but dont have high tea there, its hella expensive and not worth it unless you have money to burn. If you're so inclined, go whale watching in a zodiac.

If you're expecting shopping or night life, go to Vancouver... its... ok... but nothing spectacular. The town basically shuts down by 9pm.

any other questions, hit me up.
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline SulfurLad

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • now, 20% more!
    • Azzurriffopubijix
  • Ride: 08 WRB STI + many bicycles
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 04:34:30 pm »
Also, if you're on the island, drive to Tofino.
throw a rock in the air and you'll hit someone guilty

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 04:48:16 pm »
and take the old island highway... its a way nicer drive, although it adds a couple hours.
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

patriki

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 08:44:19 pm »
Wow guys! Awesome response!

Zaider, that is basically what I wanted to know. What the town is like and what's there to do. Seems like a very nice, peaceful place just by hearing from those that live or lived there.

Again, thanks for all your input. I think you've covered most of my questions if not all :).

If I happen to remember anything else, I'll be sure to send you a PM.

Offline JimmEh

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 08:51:39 pm »
definitely go to tofino if you are driving the subby, it's an awesome drive. i grew up in sayward a few hours north from vic. love the island want to go back :(
Johnny <3 Cam

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 10:02:27 am »
hey Jimmeh,

my university roommate was from Sayward... do you know a guy named Drew Henderson?

Offline Perfect Dark

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Wagoon!
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 12:17:45 pm »
Oh you mean office Drew?

He's dead.

If you haven't seen that commercial then sorry :P

Offline JimmEh

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 12:19:23 pm »
yes i do. not very well. his dad's a doctor? used to snowboard at mt cain? my room mate was closer to his age and lived closer to him in town he knows him better.
Johnny <3 Cam

Offline MRS.Bignerd

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • I'm not negative, I'm realistic!
  • Ride: 2016 CWP STi
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 12:49:20 am »
Awesome seafood if your into eating-everything is fresh.  There's quite a bit to do if you have never been there before. You can spend a whole day on a beach just hanging out and hunting around in the tidal pools and what not.

The first lighthouse on the west coast is in Victoria, as well Craigdarroch castle is pretty cool or so I though. Butchart gardens is something to be seen if you have never been there before, they have a really great choreographed fireworks show certain nights later in the summer. Its very expensive to get in but good if someone likes gardening.

The inner harbor-that is the port you are probably talking about is right downtown, the empress hotel and parliment building are right near by as well-they both have nice gardens attached to them also. There are lots of little stands and people peddling stuff along the inner harbor in the summer, downtown has some good shopping and is easy to get around.

Fishing is awesome too if you have enough money to charter a boat and go out if you are into that. Whale watching is expensive but is cool if you have never done it before, sometimes you can see whales from the Ferry as well.

It is a pretty relaxed place, beautiful scenery, everything is green and smells soooo fresh out there. Lots of nice cars and ritzy houses, no one is really in a hurry out there. Lots of old people-its true. Is a pretty quiet place, can't say much about the bars really, don't think there are any good ones.

If you do go ripping around some back roads in Victoria-watch for deer, they are rampant out there.

For those of you who lived there, anyone ever go for a rip up the road to the observatory?? Hairpin on top of hairpins doubling back on themselves, some crazy roads where we lived back by prospect and elk lake.  Too bad about having to worry about deer and oncoming traffic-those roads are a blast.

patriki

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 01:12:53 am »
Wow thanks for the input!

That was very very very detailed  :mrgreen:

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 01:42:18 pm »
Quote from: "MRS.Bignerd"
For those of you who lived there, anyone ever go for a rip up the road to the observatory?? Hairpin on top of hairpins doubling back on themselves, some crazy roads where we lived back by prospect and elk lake.  Too bad about having to worry about deer and oncoming traffic-those roads are a blast.

haha. yep! been up and down that road in my old 93 Legacy... did it once in my 90 Volvo 740 Turbo... that was too much for it though... freaked me out.

There are also some really nice roads in the Arbutus area of Gordon Head.