Author Topic: Dash cam recommendations on a budget, preferably "subtle"  (Read 4871 times)

Offline Polaris

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Couldn't become a real doctor
  • Ride: 2005 LGT
Dash cam recommendations on a budget, preferably "subtle"
« on: July 13, 2016, 06:19:42 pm »
Hey guys, did some research and it looks like the G1W-C and the A118C are both great "bang-for-your-buck" cameras, with the former being cheaper and the latter being more stealthy. Was reading this reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/Dashcam/comments/4hvgjp/my_top_5_dash_cams_after_reviewing_19_cameras/

Someone smashed the driver's side window of my parent's car somewhere in Richmond and the only thing that was in the car was the dash cam (glove box was locked I believe, nothing of value anywhere else or in the trunk). They're now looking into replacing the dash cam, and at the same time I'm tempted to buy one of my own as well, which is why a "subtle" one would be good if no one can see it just by casually glancing into the car. I'm leaning towards the A118C because it looks pretty sleek, and I can just hide it right behind the rear-view mirror, but it's mostly mixed reviews online.

Alternatively, I could just buy a phone holder and put my phone on the dash to record videos when I'm driving and plug that into my cigarette lighter. I just wanted a camera in case I need it for insurance or whatever purposes and don't need anything fancy or super high quality. Not confident that my phone is "high quality" enough for bright days or nights.

Finally, if I do go with the dash cam route, how hard is it to "hide" the wires? Was thinking of doing something like this: http://www.roadlens.com/#!how-to-conceal-power-cord/cahc

Thanks!

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
Re: Dash cam recommendations on a budget, preferably "subtle"
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 06:45:03 pm »
The most reliable out of the mini series. It is small and decent quality. The only thing it does not have is a parking mode so if that is a requirement you need to look at something else.

As for wires just get a hardwire kit to hide the wires.

http://m.gearbest.com/car-dvr/pp_113549.html
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline cha0tik

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '22 Venza | '03 S2K
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 09:41:55 pm »
My dad recently bought a Garmin branded one and it seems to be pretty solid.

Also, regarding the Mini 805, I think Gearbest is in USD and you might also get charged shipping to Canada.
If you want this particular one, I think your best bet would be Amazon (in terms of cost and time).
https://www.amazon.ca/EnjoyGadgets-Camera-Wide-angle-G-sensor-Replaces/dp/B0145HK7GK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468467301&sr=8-1&keywords=dash+cam+mini+0805

Not sure if I'd go for the Mini myself. It seems the reviews are pretty mixed on Amazon and other websites.
My 2016 Subaru WRX

Fly high, dive deep.

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 09:48:05 pm »
Not sure if I'd go for the Mini myself. It seems the reviews are pretty mixed on Amazon and other websites.
I think this is mostly because its a very commonly knocked off design by several companies. Its something you kind of have to sniff out which ones are legit and which ones not so much.

Offline Polaris

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 11:47:26 pm »
The MINI one looks pretty good! Seems like Canuckrz you're right, I found lots of shady ones. The one on GearBest only ships to Canada from their China warehouse, but it's free shipping (just takes a long time). Not sure if that means I might get a knock-off one. The EnjoyGadgets one has mostly positive reviews, but the poor reviews are pretty recent as well and their comments are similar to the negative comments found on other knock-off eBay/Amazon products so I'm also iffy about that. Good thing is that EnjoyGadgets is Amazon fulfilled so if it doesn't work I can return it.

Hardwiring looks quite simple and well worth the price as well: https://canadadashcam.com/hardwire-dashcam-installation-kits/dashcam-hard-wire-installation-kit

Thanks all once again!

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 11:59:52 pm »
If it helps I have had a mini 0806 for over a year now and the only issue I have had is the internal battery no longer works so I have to keep it plugged in all the time.

Other than that and some firmware glitches along the way it has been trouble free and well worth the money.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline Polaris

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 12:13:41 am »
Sounds good thank you, I'll probably go for the MINI then. Did you get it off GearBest and choose the "China" option, or went with Amazon? I'm leaning towards Amazon for the Prime shipping and (potentially) easy return policy.

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 12:26:53 am »
At the time blackboxmycar carried them so I ordered from them.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

Offline Polaris

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 12:54:08 am »
Thanks, I'm going to risk GearBest they seem legit. Am I correct in thinking that I'd have to choose the "Mini Fuse" option for my car and Mini-USB when picking out the hardwire set? Any way I can install this without buying a multimeter?

I'm reading this guide here http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/dash-cam-install-hardwired-diy-238157.html and that guy says it's the Mini fuse, but nuclrxn here says Low Profile: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/blew-fusei-171055.html?t=171055, but they have the fifth gen Legacy so it's probably different. The kit I'm looking at https://canadadashcam.com/hardwire-dashcam-installation-kits/dashcam-hard-wire-installation-kit seems like the best bet, has the voltage regulator and basically everything needed to just "plug and play"

Thanks again, pretty excited for this.

Offline JohnnyCanuck

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2005 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 12:34:23 pm »
Save up for one with parking mode and dual channel. Also check out Dashcamtalk forums, they have great reviews and videos.
Turbo Schmurbo. - Ghandi

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 12:38:54 pm »
Save up for one with parking mode and dual channel. Also check out Dashcamtalk forums, they have great reviews and videos.

I agree with this statement. A year later I am still saving and trying to justify the $450 pricetag but it is probably well worth it. The Lukas 7950 has my vote.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

Offline kingbird72

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2016, 07:58:06 pm »
Check out Dome DAB205 with GPS

Offline JohnnyCanuck

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2016, 09:29:19 am »
I agree with this statement. A year later I am still saving and trying to justify the $450 pricetag but it is probably well worth it. The Lukas 7950 has my vote.
That's what I have, they are on Amazon.ca now.
Turbo Schmurbo. - Ghandi

Offline NuTypeR

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Bug Eye Mafia #230, Aint nuthin but a G thang
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2016, 10:36:39 am »
Any good recommendations for a dashcam with 24hr surveillance? I know blackvue has one where it starts recording once motion is detected even if the car is parked and turned off.

Some uckfay boy keeps messing with my car at my work by running his fingers all over it and scratching the thin japanese paint  >:(

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2016, 11:53:54 am »
Any good recommendations for a dashcam with 24hr surveillance? I know blackvue has one where it starts recording once motion is detected even if the car is parked and turned off.

Some uckfay boy keeps messing with my car at my work by running his fingers all over it and scratching the thin japanese paint  >:(

Lukas 7950 works with motion detection for parking mode. If the camera detects motion it records 10 secords before and 20 seconds after. You can buy it at Costco.ca or amazon.ca for a decent price.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

Offline JohnnyCanuck

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2016, 12:03:08 am »
Here's the Lukas installation I did:

This is how it came packaged:

lots of room to hide the rear camera wire, picture of rear camera"

front camera:

It comes with built in 'parking mode', which records when the motion detector is tripped, also has a low volt disconnect which you can set via the Lukas View app
Turbo Schmurbo. - Ghandi

Offline NuTypeR

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Bug Eye Mafia #230, Aint nuthin but a G thang
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2016, 02:35:10 pm »
anybody have a rear dash cam with an sti spoiler? The 2 way looks like a good investment, but it may be wasted if a giant shopping cart handle is obstructing the view  :-\

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2016, 02:37:05 pm »
I had one on my STi, looked fine.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Stehle

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 13 Abarth, 07 FX4
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2016, 07:23:11 am »
Interesting thing about dash cams, if you're caught speeding or anything like that and police see that you have a dash cam they can request your memory card.
If no memory card is found/provided, they have a right to search you, your car, and even your house for it.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2016, 07:51:31 am »
Interesting thing about dash cams, if you're caught speeding or anything like that and police see that you have a dash cam they can request your memory card.
If no memory card is found/provided, they have a right to search you, your car, and even your house for it.

Now, I know we're not the US, but don't we have something similar to the 5th Amendment, where you don't need to provide proof of your own guilt?
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Stehle

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 13 Abarth, 07 FX4
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2016, 07:57:01 am »
Now, I know we're not the US, but don't we have something similar to the 5th Amendment, where you don't need to provide proof of your own guilt?

Not sure all the ins-and-outs of it... but I discussed how great I thought a dash cam was and how I had intended to get one with a police officer... and he highly recommended against it. Basically more trouble than its worth.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2016, 07:59:18 am »
That's fair. It's one of the reasons I'd look at one where the GPS could potentially be disabled or such.

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
  • Ride: 2020 Tacoma TRD | i used to have a cool wrx
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2016, 08:02:12 am »
Not gonna go into full details here, but my dash-cam has worked for me in a previous time I was pulled over (along with 5 other cars) and when I questioned how (5) cars were pulled over the officer was very hostile and very very unprofessional to me. It also helped me tremendously in my previous car accident in my STI.  I actually remember telling the Police officer at the scene of my accident that I wanted to take my dash-cam home to review the footage so that I could understand more details of my car accident - He didn't even blink an eye or question me whatsoever and 100% allowed it.

Not to sound like one of those law experts / know it all's - But don't Police need to have reasonable suspicion that a crime has taken place to search anything. Even moreso, when searching - don't they need to go through even additional "hoops" to gain access to electronics and communications (ie. cell phones, dashcam's, etc.) ??  - Warrants?

Paging Mr  :haplo90:

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2016, 11:43:43 am »
This doesn't sound right to me.

Offline Haplo90

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2006 WRB STi (Sold), 2008 F150, 2015 Yamaha FJ-09
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2016, 09:53:55 am »

The first part of that is correct. The memory card/video would contain evidence of the offence, so it could be asked for/seized depending on the severity of the offence.

The second part is extremely false. To search someone for evidence would require an arrest, to search their vehicle or house would require a warrant that is never going to be granted.