Author Topic: Upgrade speakers  (Read 1250 times)

Offline kingbird72

• Stubbly Faced
Upgrade speakers
« on: July 31, 2016, 11:37:25 am »
I'm thinking about upgrading the stock speakers for my 13 STI sporttech, came with Pioneer X9310BT HU and the front speaker are the Pioneer TSA-1684R, and the rear are Subaru stock. It seems lots of people recommend Alpine SPS-610C for the front and Alpine SPS510 for the rear, does that sound like a good combo, or simply leave the front and just upgrade the rear? also does anyone know where can I get the speaker wiring adapters and the spacers locally in YEG??

Offline Jay89

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 WRX airboy tuned, 2017 Lexus IS350
Re: Upgrade speakers
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 11:54:42 am »
I personally have the jl audio c2 in the front, and focal access in the rear. Also have focal access tweeters from a 3 way set in the front because I damaged the original jl ones. I love them. Very crisp and clean sound. Took a while to get the settings the way I like it but I'm very happy with how it turned out.

Also, if you're looking to improve sound, adding some dampening to the doors make a huge difference. Well...on my car anyways

341awhp ~330awtq
Project Car

Offline kingbird72

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 12:35:25 pm »
I will definitely be adding sound dampening materials for sure. How about the speaker mounting brackets and the win ng?? I am going to use factory wiring for the install. I will definitely look into those JL speakers.

Offline kingbird72

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 12:52:24 pm »
Those JL C2 looks nice. Visions has them on sale now. Did you need a new bracket for the speaker. Or does it directly bolt on to stock adapter??

Offline Jay89

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 WRX airboy tuned, 2017 Lexus IS350
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 01:33:09 pm »
I have adaptors on mine to clear the front windows. I am using mostly stock wiring, but added some of my own to get a bit more length.  I have front and rear.

My car is probably very different from how yours is though so I can't say for sure. I just know I needed the adaptors for mine. I'd recommend either making a set yourself or buying a set before you tackle the job. Makes it simpler

341awhp ~330awtq
Project Car

Offline jvd

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: bluecar
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 07:19:14 am »
You need to spend a TON of time on sealing up the door skin if you want anything that resembles midbass in these cars. Filler panels + deadener.

Should be able to get decent sound out of most components if you do that. Pretty much just pick something that fits your budget and mounting depth.

Offline Jimmy@Vex

• Inarguably bearded
  • Patchy Faced
  • what
    • VEX Performance
  • Ride: GTE swapped GS300, VIP LS430, Datsun 240Z, Outback XT
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 10:05:22 am »
The Audison Voce's are the BEST sound you can get for the money. They sound comparable to the older Focal K2 series speakers and are 1/3 of the price. I wouldn't waste your time with anything below the Flax's in Focals current lineup, their entry level stuff sounds like trash.

http://www.audison.eu/index.php?page=product&id=37

And as jvd mentioned, some dampening in the doors will help big time. My recommendation for this is Cascade VB2.

http://cascadeaudio.com/car_noise_control/vb_2.htm
Apexi Power Exel Certified -- Haltech Certified -- ECUTek Factory Trained -- AEM Factory Trained
Vex Performance

Offline kingbird72

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 12:54:48 pm »
to fit it into my budget as I'm only looking to upgrade the front speaker, so my plan it's to move the TS-A1684R from the front to the rear door, without adding sub or amp I'm thinking to get the JL C2-650 for the front and stick with the AVIC-X9310BT to push the speakers, and add sound deadening to the doors. I know nice speakers requires amp to power them in order to enjoy the full potential, but I really don't want to take things apart if I don't have to.