Author Topic: Calgary Snowboard Maintenance  (Read 1503 times)

Offline Player One

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Jack of some trades, master of none
  • Ride: 13 WRX Hatch
Calgary Snowboard Maintenance
« on: February 13, 2017, 09:25:48 am »
Hey all,

I have a couple core shots on my snowboard and currently don't have the tools/know how to fix them. Anyone have any recommendations on places in Calgary to go to fix them? I'd also be doing a wax and maybe an edge sharpening while it's there. Last thread I see for any sort of maintenance says The Source. Or, is anyone here able to do this?

Thanks!

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Honda CR-V
Re: Calgary Snowboard Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 10:21:11 am »
Honestly, I would just go buy the tools and itshay that you need, watch a YouTube video and tackle it yourself.

The Source sells a pretty awesome kit for about $100 that comes with everything you will ever need to wax/repair a board plus enough wax/p tex to last you easily a season or two.

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2008 spec.B
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 11:26:46 am »
Source is closest to where you live but I've never been there so I can't comment. Another good shop is Royal Board on Edmonton trail. They fixed a core shot on my ex's board, did a pretty spiffy job, also filled in a gouge that was about a 1/4'' at it's widest with ptex, I could barely see it when it was done.

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 01:47:12 pm »
I had a chip in my board repaired at Sport Chek. They did a good job. I'd have done it myself if I didn't need it back right away. I'd also say get the kit and learn yourself if you can. I've been waxing my/friends boards for 6+ years and it's saved me A LOT of money.

Offline toutman

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 06 Green Forester
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 02:19:48 pm »
Ski Cellar would be the place to go.

Offline Rad_Racer

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2013 Lexus IS-F
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 02:24:59 pm »
I had a chip in my board repaired at Sport Chek. They did a good job. I'd have done it myself if I didn't need it back right away. I'd also say get the kit and learn yourself if you can. I've been waxing my/friends boards for 6+ years and it's saved me A LOT of money.

Never Sport Chek. Never again. They did a base grind on my old board. Completely ruined it. Base was like velcro when they were done with it. I spent hours with a razor getting rid of all the plastic fuzz on it, re-waxed it several times, and it was still only about 80% as fast as it was before Sport Chek touched it.

Offline toutman

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 06 Green Forester
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 03:14:42 pm »
Never Sport Chek. Never again. They did a base grind on my old board. Completely ruined it. Base was like velcro when they were done with it. I spent hours with a razor getting rid of all the plastic fuzz on it, re-waxed it several times, and it was still only about 80% as fast as it was before Sport Chek touched it.

Support your local shop!

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 04:04:58 pm »

Brutal. Noted!

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
  • Ride: 2002 toyota tacoma 4dr (RTT crowdsourced with NFTs)
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 04:08:54 pm »
Source is my fav shop so far.

As an unrelated side note before I broke myself I broke my board. Stepchild corporate. Full core break just in front of back foot on heel edge =(  get those core shots repaired!
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff
Subaru(sold) Ford (sold) Toyota

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 04:27:59 pm »
To be fair that almost entirely comes down to the tech doing the job more than the chain as a whole. Sport Chek generally has pretty good equipment in their shops, just how well trained the person is who is using it is the issue.

Offline Longlivetheride

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: Nissan Juke Nismo, Nissan Frontier,Fix - Cronus Rally MSport R2
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 10:15:54 am »
To be fair that almost entirely comes down to the tech doing the job more than the chain as a whole. Sport Chek generally has pretty good equipment in their shops, just how well trained the person is who is using it is the issue.

Agreed they actually spent a good chunk of change buying new machines last year. Sounds like they were using the belt to finish which i have found is not ideal. Thought i spent a lot  on new machines this year but they went all out. pricing out a robot for next year

Pretty easy thing to fix on your own and fun (depending how many times you burn yourself) . If it is a deep core shot i use Metal grip then p tex most p tex dosnt stick well to regular base material. If you are doing the candle style of p Tex  just make sure you dab the stick  not drip as the materiel that is dripping is mostly wax and you want whats on the stick for a better adhere .