Author Topic: 2106/2017 Ski & Snowboard Thread  (Read 20936 times)

Offline toutman

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 06 Green Forester
Re: 2106/2017 Ski & Snowboard Thread
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2016, 10:31:13 am »
Which shop are you at?

I would definitely take a look at The Source out in Calgary, they have insane sales on all last years hardgoods. I believe snowboards, boots, bindings and outerwear are all 40% off. The Source is where I get all of my gear.

I work at Sully's, it's an independent Board Shop in Crossiron and Airdrie. We have the same sale as Source essentially, with slightly different selection. I think Source already had their Warehouse Sale, so I'm not sure what is still left. Either way I'm happy to help anyone here if have questions about gear, I do have a few years of knowledge under my belt  8)

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1998 Version 5 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R V-Limited
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2016, 11:09:24 am »
I work at Sully's, it's an independent Board Shop in Crossiron and Airdrie. We have the same sale as Source essentially, with slightly different selection. I think Source already had their Warehouse Sale, so I'm not sure what is still left. Either way I'm happy to help anyone here if have questions about gear, I do have a few years of knowledge under my belt  8)

You guys don't have a website or an online store, do you? Google didn't come up with much.

Offline toutman

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2016, 11:35:31 am »
You guys don't have a website or an online store, do you? Google didn't come up with much.

Unfortunately not, it takes a lot of money and time to get that going but we're working on it. (The last website we had was taken over by Russians..) Best bet would be to check out our Facebook or Instagram @Sullyshop

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2016, 12:38:32 pm »
Unfortunately not, it takes a lot of money and time to get that going but we're working on it. (The last website we had was taken over by Russians..) Best bet would be to check out our Facebook or Instagram @Sullyshop

Damn Russians... No worries though! Maybe i'll stop by next time im down.

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2016, 03:15:55 pm »
What are you looking for? The shop I work at still has a ton of sale boards from last season.

Burton, I think I want another V rocker board as my current Joystick is a blast. It's just a bit short (154cm) so it's not as stable at high speed. I bought it because I used to ride a lot of park, but since moving out here and having real terrain, I more do tree runs and all mountain riding.

I think I want something in the 157-159cm range, v-rocker, and has the infinite channel so I can use my current Cartels. Something bright with cool patters or something along those lines. The Source outlet by Chinook had a couple of the Playboy boards that would have worked, but were still $350+.

I might take my old Burton Se7en 157cm out this year, haven't ridden it in years.

Offline cmyles

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 90 Miata
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2016, 03:39:39 pm »
Burton, I think I want another V rocker board as my current Joystick is a blast. It's just a bit short (154cm) so it's not as stable at high speed. I bought it because I used to ride a lot of park, but since moving out here and having real terrain, I more do tree runs and all mountain riding.

I think I want something in the 157-159cm range, v-rocker, and has the infinite channel so I can use my current Cartels. Something bright with cool patters or something along those lines. The Source outlet by Chinook had a couple of the Playboy boards that would have worked, but were still $350+.

I might take my old Burton Se7en 157cm out this year, haven't ridden it in years.

How do you like the rocker v setup?

I just picked up a 15 Process Flying V, after riding a 10 Ride Prophet for my first year, which is traditional camber style, and extremely stiff, I'm curious to feel the difference.
I ride mostly tree's and steep powdery section. I'm excited, since I've heard that these love powder.

One thing I am a tad nervous about is the prophet is super stiff, and the flying v is quite soft, I got used to the stiffness, but even my friends were pretty surprised about how stiff it was.
Good for learning, probably not haha. I got A LOT of chatter on ice runs, and it was frustrating starting out, but having learned on it, I feel like a soft board will be a nice treat.
Current Vehicles
// 1990 Miata MX-5 || 09 WRX Hatch \\

Past Vehicles:
01 S/TB, 08 Spec.B, 05 Foz, 05 A4, 06 IS350, 05 LGT, 06 2.5i, 07 STi, 04 WRX, 95 GC8, 95 BG5, 94 EJ1

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2016, 07:14:53 pm »

I just picked up a 15 Process Flying V, after riding a 10 Ride Prophet for my first year, which is traditional camber style, and extremely stiff, I'm curious to feel the difference.
I ride mostly tree's and steep powdery section. I'm excited, since I've heard that these love powder.

One thing I am a tad nervous about is the prophet is super stiff, and the flying v is quite soft, I got used to the stiffness, but even my friends were pretty surprised about how stiff it was.
Good for learning, probably not haha. I got A LOT of chatter on ice runs, and it was frustrating starting out, but having learned on it, I feel like a soft board will be a nice treat.

I really like it. It's been years since I've ridden a regular camber board. It's really playful, soft, easy to butter. I think it might be a bit of the reason why it's not as stable at speed, but worth it nonetheless.

That's what I ride too, it floats on powder and is quite maneuverable in trees.

A softer board will be a change for sure, but it's awesome once you're used to it. It can be a tad twitchy at speed though, especially coming from a stiff board, so just keep that in mind initially. You'll love it though, I've read good things about the Flying V.

On that note, I'd really like to try some boards before buying a new one. Do they do demo days very often at the mountains? I've only seen one at Sunshine, but by the time I got my name down, they were booked for the day.

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2016, 08:42:25 pm »

I ride a Burton Flight Attendant Flying V. Similar to the Process, but I think a more directional shape. I did a thorough review here: http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=19936.msg566765#msg566765
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline toutman

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2016, 08:47:26 am »

For that price range a Burton Process is most likely what you're looking for, unless you can find something older than a year. check out Endeavor too. They have the channel system as well, with similar shapes to the Flyying V.

Offline rustypouch

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2017 Impreza
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2016, 10:02:21 am »
If you're coming down to Big White, do yourself a favour and take a day trip down to Apex. If I'm around I'll show you all the good stuff. Lots of good trees and more gnarly terrain than you would expect with super steeps and all kinds of cliffs. I'd ride there over Big White any day (though I am a biased).

I'll confirm that Apex is great. I might also be a bit biased, as I lived and worked there for two seasons back in the day.

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2016, 11:45:17 am »
For that price range a Burton Process is most likely what you're looking for, unless you can find something older than a year. check out Endeavor too. They have the channel system as well, with similar shapes to the Flyying V.

I've never heard of Endeavor before so just checked out their site. They got some sweet looking boards. Really digging this one http://can.endeavorsnowboards.com/collections/deadstock/products/live-series-1 . Ugh, way more than I was thinking of spending though when there's nothing wrong with what I have...

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2016, 01:10:09 pm »
Anyone here ride, or have experience with rear entry bindings like Flows, or Gnu? I've always liked the idea, and my buddy loves his Flows (but doesn't ride much). I currently have Cartels on my main board which are fantastic. And a pair of Missions on my old board that were great for the price too. I haven't ridden a non-Burton binding since my first board 10 years ago (can't even remember the brand, Lemar?).

Offline Player One

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Jack of some trades, master of none
  • Ride: 13 WRX Hatch
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2016, 02:23:08 pm »
Anyone here ride, or have experience with rear entry bindings like Flows, or Gnu? I've always liked the idea, and my buddy loves his Flows (but doesn't ride much). I currently have Cartels on my main board which are fantastic. And a pair of Missions on my old board that were great for the price too. I haven't ridden a non-Burton binding since my first board 10 years ago (can't even remember the brand, Lemar?).

I had some on a rental board when I was young. The idea is good but I found the support was lacking as I could feel the upbacks moving. This was 10+ years ago though so I don't know how they have improved since then.

Offline toutman

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2016, 02:26:55 pm »

Haven't ridden them for a while, but the general consensus I get is that people like rear entry bindings for their ease of access rather than their performance. I will say that they have gotten better over the years but I personally would not ride them.

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2016, 04:05:47 pm »
I've never heard of Endeavor before so just checked out their site. They got some sweet looking boards. Really digging this one http://can.endeavorsnowboards.com/collections/deadstock/products/live-series-1 . Ugh, way more than I was thinking of spending though when there's nothing wrong with what I have...

Endeavor is great. I rode one of their boards for 2 seasons, and had no issues with it whatsoever. I ended up selling just to fund a softer board. I actually visited their HQ once in Vancouver, and they seemed like a pretty cool company. Their "archetype" board is something they've been working on for a couple of years now, so there is quite a bit of hype behind it.

As far as rear entry bindings go, I have personally chosen to stay away from them. There is a reason that the majority of bindings are made the way they are, and does rear entry really save you that much time? If you ride with buddies, unless you all have the same type of binding, you'll be waiting anyways. I'd stick to normal ones.

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2016, 08:29:04 am »
My gf and I ride both skis and snowboard, but our strengths are opposite. She used to ski race so she bombs it on skis and I currently am more comfortable keeping up on my board, so quick bindings would be nice. But I guess at the end of the day, it's not that big of deal. Thanks for the opinions guys, I'll just keep rocking my cartels I think.

Still kicking tires on a new board though. Maybe I'll see what gently loved stuff Kijiji has lol.

Offline Polaris

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Couldn't become a real doctor
  • Ride: 2005 LGT
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2016, 02:19:25 pm »
So I go skiing around two to three times a year, I like it but have never been a big enthusiast or anything like that, mainly due to time and school as well as how much lift tickets cost. I don't have my own gear but plan on renting from the university each time I go out, it's pretty reasonably priced I think, at least compared to renting them at the mountain. I would like to get out more this winter rather than be all cooped up at home then regret not doing anything when summer comes.

My friends recently told me that I could save money by buying these "cards" that give me a few days for free, and a small discount off lift tickets each time I go. Do people here recommend I buy the RCR Card (mainly for Nakiska), Lake Louise card, or the Sunshine card? I've never been to Lake Louise to ski, or any of the RCR locations like Kicking Horse, I've only gone to Sunshine and I quite like it there. I'll mostly be sticking to like, blue runs as I'm very much a beginner! My friends are pretty advanced and they love Kicking Horse, but I think it's too far for me and I think I'm just going to try and get out more this winter and get into the habit of not being lazy, so Nakiska and Sunshine seem pretty ideal for me just to get me out of the house.

Thinking I'll rent this season, and if I manage to stay committed I can buy next year? I have goggles and gloves, but will need a helmet, bindings, boots, poles and the skis themselves, so I think renting is the safer option in case I end up buying stuff and then not going out as much as I planned? Or would buying off Kijiji still be worth it?

Thank you so much!

Offline Jimpreza111

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2016, 02:32:19 pm »
So I go skiing around two to three times a year, I like it but have never been a big enthusiast or anything like that, mainly due to time and school as well as how much lift tickets cost. I don't have my own gear but plan on renting from the university each time I go out, it's pretty reasonably priced I think, at least compared to renting them at the mountain. I would like to get out more this winter rather than be all cooped up at home then regret not doing anything when summer comes.

My friends recently told me that I could save money by buying these "cards" that give me a few days for free, and a small discount off lift tickets each time I go. Do people here recommend I buy the RCR Card (mainly for Nakiska), Lake Louise card, or the Sunshine card? I've never been to Lake Louise to ski, or any of the RCR locations like Kicking Horse, I've only gone to Sunshine and I quite like it there. I'll mostly be sticking to like, blue runs as I'm very much a beginner! My friends are pretty advanced and they love Kicking Horse, but I think it's too far for me and I think I'm just going to try and get out more this winter and get into the habit of not being lazy, so Nakiska and Sunshine seem pretty ideal for me just to get me out of the house.

Thinking I'll rent this season, and if I manage to stay committed I can buy next year? I have goggles and gloves, but will need a helmet, bindings, boots, poles and the skis themselves, so I think renting is the safer option in case I end up buying stuff and then not going out as much as I planned? Or would buying off Kijiji still be worth it?

Thank you so much!

I don't get out very often either and I can't justify buying brand new everything so I bought my ski's on Ebay. Some gently used and probably 10 year old Solomons like these that came with decent bindings. I would recommend if you do buy some gear invest in some good boots that fit and are comfortable. Your comfort or lack thereof will really make or break the day on the hill for you. Poles are cheap and I scored my lid from Costco. If you're ever looking for someone to go to Sunshine with let me know as I don't have a lot of buddies that do ski and my wife has no interest in snow. My work shuts down from Dec 22 - Jan 3 so I intend to make some trips to the mountains over that time. Would be up for a weekend rip too. Maybe we can all organize a WSC day at the slopes?

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2016, 02:37:42 pm »
Maybe we can all organize a WSC day at the slopes?

Down for another WSC day. Never made it out last time, and was hoping I would have another opportunity to do so.

Offline Polaris

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2016, 02:42:28 pm »
Just spoke to a friend of mine, he has old skis with bindings, poles and possibly a helmet for me. Just need to buy my own boots. He also has old stuff from when he was younger and around my height so I might be able to use those.

For the card, I'm leaning towards Sunshine or RCR. Nakiska is super close and can help me with my excuses of "XYZ is too far away blah blah", and my friends said I can go with them to Kicking Horse as well, but I am hesitant as it will make their day really boring if they stick with me, or I'll be alone all day if the snow is good and they ditch. Sunshine I like as well, but that parking lot and long gondola ride is putting me off a bit.

Jimpreza111 for sure I'll be interested to go to Sunshine with you even if I don't get the card! And yes, WSC day would be fun. I just need to find people around my beginner level haha.

Offline Player One

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Jack of some trades, master of none
  • Ride: 13 WRX Hatch
« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2016, 03:11:43 pm »
Last year the Sunshine card was good at Sunshine Village and Marmot Basin. Louise card was good at Lake Louise, Revelstoke, Castle Mountain, Red Mountain, Schweizter, and Silver Star. RCR card was good at Fernie, Kimberly, Nakiska, and Kicking Horse. Last year they were $99 (I believe both the Sunshine and Louise ones, not sure about the RCR) and you get your 1st, 4th, and 7th day free. Other days you can still use the card and it'll get you a discounted pass. Once you get your pass, you can link it to your CC so it just charges you directly and you don't have to waste time grabbing your pass from the booths. I don't think this would change this year.

I would highly recommend getting one of those cards if you plan on making it out to an eligible mountain more than once this year. If not, check out Costco for a discounted pass.

If I were you, I'd pick the card for wherever your friends are going to go most frequently.

If you've got a hookup on free stuff to have or at least borrow, that's the route I'd go. If I were to buy anything in that scenario, it would be boots.

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2016, 04:46:04 pm »
If you can get free itshay and just buy boots, you're golden. As for the passes/cards, I really wish the mountains were grouped better.

FYI, KH is a steeper mountain, so if you're new to skiing, just keep that in mind.

Damn I can't wait to get out riding.

Offline Polaris

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2016, 05:17:05 pm »
Looking like I'll be able to just grab my friend's old stuff, I'll probably buy the boots after we confirm everything fits and all that.

Yea, I'm pretty much a beginner and I have to spend a bit of time each year when it's the first day I'm on the slopes to "re-learn" everything and get warmed up, so I definitely don't want to go to KH or anything like that. I think Nakiska is basic enough for me though! Though the Sunshine card is still pretty attractive as I do like going to Banff in the winter and being a tourist :P.

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
  • Ride: Toyota Echo RS
« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2016, 07:51:30 pm »
The snow is starting to stick in the mountains (hopefully). I'm getting exited pending working out my health issues.
I don't name things I know I'm going to sell eventually. Hence why I'd never name any kids I had.

If you can't go fast with 90HP, 900HP won't help you. - Bob Hall

Offline thedude

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2002 Toyota Tundra
« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2016, 12:42:33 pm »
Looking like I'll be able to just grab my friend's old stuff, I'll probably buy the boots after we confirm everything fits and all that.

This is definitely your best bet for getting into skiing as it saves you a lot of the upfront cost and once (if) you start going more frequently you'll understand the style of riding you like best influencing your choice of new gear.

I'd highly recommend you get boots properly fit. Spend the little bit extra to get them punched out if you have to and heat molded. I suggest you check out a place like Lou's, Ski West, or The Ski Cellar. I've personally had my boots fit by Lou and have decided to be a long time customer of his - he's very honest and even more thorough. Before doing all of this, make sure the bindings on the ski's you're receiving are adjustable. Some are drilled directly into place and have little to no movement (however I'm assuming this is not the case).

Down for another WSC day. Never made it out last time, and was hoping I would have another opportunity to do so.

I'd be down as well. Let it snow.
2008 Aprilia Shiver 750 - Sold 10/02/2017
2013 SWP Subaru WRX Hatchback - Sold 01/04/2022

thedude's 2013 WRX Build Thread