Author Topic: Backup camera for 07 Spec B, connect to GPS screen?  (Read 1749 times)

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
Backup camera for 07 Spec B, connect to GPS screen?
« on: September 08, 2016, 04:05:09 pm »
Hey all,

I'd like to get a backup camera hooked up on my 07 Spec B. I know the GPS is a Kenwood model, is it possible to simply plug in one of their backup cameras? I'm sure it's not that easy but wanted to ask.

I saw this mentioned in an older thread on another forum, and contacted a company but the cheapest option was more than $300 USD.

Thanks

Offline BradM

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Outback
Re: Backup camera for 07 Spec B, connect to GPS screen?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 09:20:00 pm »
I bet you could use one from a Tribeca.

Offline RedBimmer93

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Legacy Spec B, and Two Mopar gas guzzlers
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 04:39:50 pm »
This guy installed a backup camera system that works with his GPS screen. That's on my bucket list to do to my spec B one of these days...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/backup-camera-walk-through-4th-gen-w-nav-241555.html

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 11:42:50 am »
This guy installed a backup camera system that works with his GPS screen. That's on my bucket list to do to my spec B one of these days...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/backup-camera-walk-through-4th-gen-w-nav-241555.html

Yup, found that as well and likely the way I'll be going. It's on the list of things I plan on doing this fall.

Offline 99 rs

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 10:58:47 pm »
This is a blatant cross-post but it's this very thread that got me into looking for my rear view camera setup on the wife's 2009 Outback. Copied/pasted from Page 165 of the Mod of the Day thread.

The camera is a no-name I think but the quality is stellar (matches my parent's IS250 and RX350. The wiring seemed very similar to OEM Pioneer.

Since the relatively thin camera wires are in the same accordion boot as the typically cut wires of this Legacy generation I put some foam tape around the edge that they’re getting cut on. Note, you HAVE to pull the roof liner down slightly to get to this hole. It seems many people put the tape on the upper hole thinking that’s the cutting culprit but …at least on my 2009… the cut wires were from the lower hole.

I already had the panel off to fix/inspect the wiring so after that, mark your hole

Then cut and mount. For this hole I used a Christmas tree bit as this is hard plastic. I ran the wiring through the license plate light grommet.

I ran the wire down the passenger side of the car. It’s fairly straight forward.

Offline 99 rs

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 10:59:37 pm »
Then begin to make the adapter harness for the rear navigation. Again, there are countless amounts of posts on how to do this. I actually ended up making 3 of the harnesses since I already cut apart an ??S-Video?? adapter cable.

Use this as a guide

Offline 99 rs

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 11:00:53 pm »
Then take your navigation out. I pictured my model number and can confirm the adapter harness works with it.

Now the super easy part, all wiring for the camera and the front parking sensors are in one plug. A single plug that’s very easily accessible (that almost never happens).

Solder it all up and tape it nicely

Here I’m testing both the red and blue adapter harness.

And that’s really it. I admit the whole package doesn’t really photograph all that well but iPhone is iPhone does.