Author Topic: Bluetooth randomly disconnects - Standard headunit  (Read 2117 times)

Offline ArjayAquino

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2015 STi base
Bluetooth randomly disconnects - Standard headunit
« on: September 22, 2016, 09:54:10 am »
I have a standard headunit (no-touchscreen) in my STi and I've been enduring my iphone 5s randomly being disconnected from the bluetooth while driving. When it disconnects sometimes it reconnects, most of the time I have to screw around with different combinations of turning the headunit off and on, turning the bluetooth off and on in my phone, etc. Sometimes none of that works and it stays disconnected for a long period of time or until I start the car again.

I even tried re-pairing the connection by removing my device and removing the headunit from my phone, but no luck.

Does anyone else have/had this issue? From googling it isn't specific to a type of car. Might have to take it in to see if they'll replace the unit...
"It even smells of man...Burnt clutch, just splash it on before you go out for a curry and a fight." -Jeremy Clarkson on the STi

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
Re: Bluetooth randomly disconnects - Standard headunit
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 09:55:47 am »
How far from the headunit is the phone?

I've found that in my GTI, if I leave my phone in the left pocket of my pants, there's connection issues, so I tend to chuck it in the center console while listening to bluetooth.

BT wasn't originally meant for audio, so it can do weird things at times, especially when it's moving (driving).
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline ArjayAquino

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 09:58:46 am »
How far from the headunit is the phone?

I've found that in my GTI, if I leave my phone in the left pocket of my pants, there's connection issues, so I tend to chuck it in the center console while listening to bluetooth.

BT wasn't originally meant for audio, so it can do weird things at times, especially when it's moving (driving).

I have a mount that is placed in the disc hole (forgot what that's called) so it's next to the headunit.
"It even smells of man...Burnt clutch, just splash it on before you go out for a curry and a fight." -Jeremy Clarkson on the STi

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
  • Ride: 2020 Tacoma TRD | i used to have a cool wrx
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 10:07:25 am »
Mine does the exact same thing.. the unit is glitchy. It's a common problem, lots of people discussing over on Nasioc for the 2015+'s.. 

Sometimes it get stuck on mute - even if you press the mute button, it doesn't unmute, it just stays muted. Then you will go back to FM Radio thinking it'll "reset".. FM radio works, no problem! Then go back to Bluetooth and suddenly it's frozen, and no songs playing or coming up. Go to press play on your phone, it starts playing thru the phone and not bluetooth.

Go disconnect Bluetooth and re-connect, nope - it's fcked. Doesn't connect now, it's frozen on the screen and the entire unit has itshay the bed.

Really made me frustrated as I'm on my 6 hour drive to Kelowna an 2 hours in it becomes glitched and there's nowhere to stop/ pull over now for a little bit. So annoying....

TL;DR - Stock 2015+ HU's are glitched and sometimes freeze etc. Common problem. Maybe a firmware update will come out sometime...

(I've been using USB more recently actually now I have a 6'ft USB cable so it reaches my phone holder but then it looks dumb with a 6'ft cable LOL. Sounds better than Bluetooth and doesn't freeze PLUS you get the album cover art on the screen.)

Offline ArjayAquino

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 10:12:43 am »
Mine does the exact same thing.. the unit is glitchy. It's a common problem, lots of people discussing over on Nasioc for the 2015+'s.. 

Sometimes it get stuck on mute - even if you press the mute button, it doesn't unmute, it just stays muted. Then you will go back to FM Radio thinking it'll "reset".. FM radio works, no problem! Then go back to Bluetooth and suddenly it's frozen, and no songs playing or coming up. Go to press play on your phone, it starts playing thru the phone and not bluetooth.

Go disconnect Bluetooth and re-connect, nope - it's fcked. Doesn't connect now, it's frozen on the screen and the entire unit has itshay the bed.

Really made me frustrated as I'm on my 6 hour drive to Kelowna an 2 hours in it becomes glitched and there's nowhere to stop/ pull over now for a little bit. So annoying....

TL;DR - Stock 2015+ HU's are glitched and sometimes freeze etc. Common problem. Maybe a firmware update will come out sometime...

(I've been using USB more recently actually now I have a 6'ft USB cable so it reaches my phone holder but then it looks dumb with a 6'ft cable LOL. Sounds better than Bluetooth and doesn't freeze PLUS you get the album cover art on the screen.)

haha yep exactly like me. I have a road trip to sun peaks this weekend so I think I will do what you did and use the USB for now.

And thanks for those links Jory, I will read through them.

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 10:38:39 am »
I usually end up just power cycling the headunit and the bluetooth comes back.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 10:43:48 am »
One link just talks about how apple has common BT issues with stock headunits. The second link talks about issues in the 2014/2015 headunits, similar to what Kijho mentioned.

I seldomly use the BT in my GTI, and typically use the USB. Better sound quality anyways.

Offline WAGOWN

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: Ver. 7 STi Sport Wagon
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 11:16:28 am »
I told Apple about this happening in a rental Malibu. They ran diagnostics and found that my phone was uckfayed and replaced it free.
02 WRX, 97 OBS, 03 WRX, 98 OBS, 97 JDM Leg, 97 s/tb, 03 OBS, JDM V7 STi Wagon

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 11:22:08 am »
For anybody who finds their way into this thread; there's quite a number of Subaru HU vs phone connectivity issues. Some to do with the old Clarion deck, some with the newer Samsung phones, plus this example (which I didn't see while I was working at the dealership).

There's no single simple quick fix for all decks/phones. You'll have to find links like those above. Maybe post them here?

Offline Player One

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Jack of some trades, master of none
  • Ride: 13 WRX Hatch
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 11:24:20 am »
I have the same issue in my 2013. As most others, I just use the USB connection. I use an old iPhone that remains in my car most of the time in the center console connected to the USB in there for my music.

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 11:27:06 am »
I have the same issue in my 2013. As most others, I just use the USB connection. I use an old iPhone that remains in my car most of the time in the center console connected to the USB in there for my music.
there's a TSB on the Clarions. Reconnect using audio prompts

Offline Player One

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2016, 11:30:04 am »
TSB?

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2016, 11:30:21 am »
Technical Service Bulletin.

Offline Player One

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2016, 11:39:01 am »
Ah, thanks.

Offline greenturbo

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2013 WRX
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2016, 08:00:22 am »

i have a 2013.
and i just had it out with city subaru about this..
I left fuming.. the stupid people that work there told me so much BS while i was in there... instead of saying (its common, we made a ittshay deck)
i got a run around of lies about how blue tooth works. and how a stronger signal will bump me off my "paired connection" with my "aftermarket" deck...

wait.. my deck is factory.. well apparently they are telling me its considered aftermarket because "its not made by subaru. its made for us"

but wait theres more....... i qualify for a exchange program.. a refurb deck... for the low low price of 350$ ...
so im like.. thats not the end of the world.......... but wait.......I have to pay them to change it...... 150$

I laugh... like rocket raccoon,  "thats a fake laugh" "its real!"
excuse me.... how does it cost 150$ for you "tech" to pop a trim off and undo 4 screws.... sorry that a rip off...

useless .... once i again.. i leave city subaru with a greasy steering wheel and shifter... my seat and mirror all messed up and an empty pocket and a heart full of disappointment..

you know we really should open our own dealership....

Offline Roadwarrior

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX, 2006 Ford Focus
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2016, 06:56:54 am »
but wait theres more....... i qualify for a exchange program.. a refurb deck... for the low low price of 350$ ...
so im like.. thats not the end of the world.......... but wait.......I have to pay them to change it...... 150$

For that price I would just buy an aftermarket deck that has Bluetooth. Can likely get a nicer one for the same or less money. Then you can smash your old deck for some stress relief.
God must love crazy people, he made a lot of them.

Offline dtaiwo

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2016, 09:54:53 am »
Hey guys,

I had this same problem with my stock, base head unit in my 2013 sti. I found changing the default pin from 1234 to something else and repairing the phone through the head unit did the trick. I also did the same in my 2016 sti and I've had no problems. Hope this helps.

Edit: Make sure you repair using the voice promts