Author Topic: Timing kit for ej22  (Read 1198 times)

Offline vanszach

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: '99 forester stb ej205
Timing kit for ej22
« on: September 27, 2016, 03:06:28 pm »
Hey everyone. Going to be replacing my timing kit on my 1998 ej22 legacy. On rock auto it has 2 kits available and just wondering if anyone know what kit I need. One has a roller type tensioner and the other has a push rod style. Thanks in advance guys!

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
Re: Timing kit for ej22
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 08:36:06 pm »
1998 should be the "new style" one-piece tensioner/pulley combo, the one that is retained with a temporary pin when fully compressed.

I've been told that you can also use the "old style" early EJ22 horizontal bar tensioner (the same as on the EJ18), but I'd replace like with like.

Offline N3UBIE

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 1998 STI Type-RA V-Limited, 1998 LGT
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 10:47:15 pm »
I have trusted that both my 1998 cars would have the new tensioner based on feedback on forums, which turned out to be wrong both times. I would recommend pulling the timing cover and having a look before purchasing anything. You can buy a bracket to adapt to the new tensioner, but Subaru dealerships don't  stock it. Since I can't find a parts car locally I am stuck waiting 3 weeks for the bracket for my 1998 LGT. 

Edit: just saw that you have an EJ22 and not the EJ25. There are a ton of SOHC Subaru's at pick n pull so even if you were wrong about having the new tensioner you can just pull a bracket off a 1999+ legacy/outback or an impreza. DOHC motors use a slightly different bracket so I am stuck.

Offline vanszach

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: '99 forester stb ej205
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 12:25:35 pm »
thanks guys for input -- will be pulling cover off tomorrow to find out -- my belt isn't to bad but will need to be changed asap. thanks for the input guys