Author Topic: WSC-Ski/Snowboard Trip to Sunshine 1/14/17 (Post your pictures)  (Read 9503 times)

Offline Polaris

• beards comin in nice
  • Couldn't become a real doctor
  • Ride: 2005 LGT
Re: Western Subaru Club - Ski/Snowboard Trip to Sunshine
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2016, 03:35:09 PM »
Awesome, I'll look into those two hotels and see if I can get a friend or even the gf if she's down to ski to split a room with me; if not maybe split with someone on here. I've stayed at the Ptarmigan a couple times and it's pretty decent too!

Offline Jimpreza111

• beards comin in nice
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2016, 03:46:44 PM »
Great input guys, much appreciated.

We can scrap the whole "cruise to the mountain" portion but I am just trying to create a club themed day. I do agree we'd miss some portion of the day getting there that late and I have no issue starting out even earlier but I would like to make sure it's not too much trouble for everyone.
Essentially we could just all meet at Sunshine, find our own way there and just have fun on the mountain but it would be no different than everyone just going on their own on any given day.

Again if it's too much trouble to coordinate a cruise we can scrap it but I would still like to at least all meet at the same time.

Maybe my idea is too "idealistic" so please bring some suggestions/plans and lets see how we can all come to a consensus.

Offline Dylan780

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1994 1.8L Miata, 2003 Legacy GTB
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2016, 03:54:54 PM »
Well depending on how many people want a full day compared to a half day we could plan for two different cruises up.

One we could meet up at 4:00 and the other could meet up at the original time you suggested (6:00 I believe).

As for meeting up at Sunshine, we could still set a designated lunch time at say 1:00. That way whether you cruised up at 4:00, 6:00 or on your own time we could all still meet for a beer and get an afternoon of riding in together.

Again, these times are just suggestions but I have found on previous day trips that leaving the city around 4:00 gets you to Sunshine right on time for a full day of riding.

Offline Player One

• beards comin in nice
  • Jack of some trades, master of none
  • Ride: 04 2.5TS wagon, 13 WRX Hatch
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2016, 05:49:38 PM »
Not sure if it's reasonable, but Edmonton people coming down to Calgary on Friday and staying the night would shave ~3 hours of travel in the morning.

Also, the parking at sunshine is worth mentioning. The base of the mountain fills up quickly and there will likely be people parking roadside and taking the shuttle to the base. I know at most meets people like to park together so it may be worth seeing if sunshine could set up reserved parking or something

Offline Jimpreza111

• beards comin in nice
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2016, 08:04:51 AM »
Good suggestion, I will see if I can wrangle some reserved parking. Their group rate was crap but maybe they'll offer up some parking at least if we come with a decent head count.

Again, I'm also fine with getting the E-town meet together at 4:00am too, we should be able to get to Calgary and then to Sunshine by like 8am. I do like the idea of staying the Friday night in Calgary but don't know if that would be an option for some if not most.

How about this:

E-town meet same location as above at 4:00am - departure around 4:15am as the roads should be pretty clear of traffic we'd make decent time to Calgary.

Calgary meet get's bumped up to 6:00-6:30am (at the same Tim's location) puts us at the mountain at 8:00ish

If we can get some reserved parking then anyone who may not want to get up this early can arrive at their leisure and still find the group.
Lunch can be done around 12:00pm in the Chalet- group pics and some group skiing/boarding can happen after that.

Not sure what time the hill closes so Après-ski beer can go say 5:00ish or at a time we can all agree upon during lunch.

I have not had any response from Subaru Canada yet, I may try and reach out to the local dealerships too.

I would also, if it's not too cheesy, try and find some type of arm bandy thing or something like a helmet decal branded with the WSC logo so it'll be easy to spot fellow club members on the slopes. Anyone know someone well enough in at a dealership or screen printing place that could get a deal on something like this?
Not looking to spend a ton of cash but I think it would be cool to at least have a souvenir for the occasion.

Offline Player One

• beards comin in nice
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2016, 09:51:33 AM »
Not sure what time the hill closes so Après-ski beer can go say 5:00ish or at a time we can all agree upon during lunch.
Lifts close at 4 during the winter months. 5 is a good time as we can plan a meeting place and just filter in throughout the afternoon.
http://www.skibanff.com/sunshine-village/hours-of-operation/

Offline Dylan780

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2016, 10:06:37 AM »
Count me in for the 4:00 AM meet up and cruise.

Also, for anyone who is planning on staying the weekend or just the Saturday night you can catch me drinking beers and playing pool at The Devils Gap.  >:D

Offline Jimpreza111

• beards comin in nice
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2016, 10:42:04 AM »
Okay I am casting out a few lines for some swag and hopefully something comes through.
I have approached Subaru City/Rally Subaru to see if they would like to kick in a little something.
Awaiting a quote from Elite Sportswear on some custom printed velcro arm bands.
I have approached 8786 design to see if they do custom printing.
And finally I am going to see if I can pull some strings through work connections on custom promo stuff.

I will post up any findings I come across and see if anyone is interested in pitching in.

Offline Polaris

• beards comin in nice
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2016, 10:53:37 AM »
Sounds good and thanks again. The decals/armbands sounds like a good idea, would be cool to all have something! I wonder if we can arrange something with BetaCuts here on the forums?

Offline Jimpreza111

• beards comin in nice
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2016, 07:21:52 PM »
After approaching a few companies for screen printing etc and seeing some prices that made it not really enticing, I decided to try my hand at it.
Was out shopping at a liquidation warehouse and found some of these scarf thingys, bright colours and already in a loop.
Grabbed some t-shirt transfer paper from Staples and did a little copy pasting in MS Paint.
Voila, version 1.0 and I think it will suit it's purpose.

These will fit over a sleeve, leg or helmet and will help you to spot fellow WSC'ers on the mountain. May require some knotting to stay snug on a sleeve.
Going to make 40 of these for the trip and they are just a thanks for coming out from me.
If you want one personalized I can print your WSC handle on it but will only do by request.

Really looking forward to hitting the slopes with everyone!

Offline Markkas

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2000 Version VI Subaru WRX RA
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2016, 07:43:15 PM »
Great idea with some solid execution :D I like it!

If for whatever reason I decide that my wallet is hurting just a little too much for this trip (which is very likely at this point as I am now looking at another ski trip right in the new year), I would be willing to shoot the entire event for everyone as long as I could tag along in someones car/multiple peoples' cars. Get some rollers, group photos, and individual photos for everyone.

Offline Polaris

• beards comin in nice
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2016, 09:58:09 PM »
That looks really good!!

Depending on if the gf comes/if I want to stay the night I'd be down to split rooms with someone/multiple people! Don't mind sleeping on a couch or in a sleeping bag

Offline Jimpreza111

• beards comin in nice
Re: Western Subaru Club - Ski/Snowboard Trip to Sunshine Jan 14, 2017
« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2016, 09:17:20 AM »
Great idea with some solid execution :D I like it!

If for whatever reason I decide that my wallet is hurting just a little too much for this trip (which is very likely at this point as I am now looking at another ski trip right in the new year), I would be willing to shoot the entire event for everyone as long as I could tag along in someones car/multiple peoples' cars. Get some rollers, group photos, and individual photos for everyone.

Thanks Markkas! That would be awesome but I hope you can make it out to enjoy the day with everyone on the slopes. You could tag along in my car if need be and your photography skills are valued.

I think now we are good on a date and beginning to have a plan lined up.
Next I would like to firm up the head/car count so I can approach sunshine about reserved parking possibly.
I will post another poll in here to get a rough idea of how many we have in attendance. Ask your friends/fam/other members who are not aware of the trip.
Poll will be up until Dec 9 and can be edited multiple times if something changes.

ALSO if you would like a personalized buff with WSC logo let me know, I will put your WSC name or guests name on them and it is no charge. Will also make some ones with just the logo above on them.
Just reply "Buff" and I will make one for you.

Please get your head count in before the poll closes and I will soon put together a final draft for the plans shortly.

Offline Jimpreza111

• beards comin in nice
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2016, 09:37:38 AM »
Looks like Sunshine is having a couple of events on Jan 14 which could add to our enjoyment! BEER GARDENS! 8)

-Bourgeau Bonfire Bash– Saturday, January 14th to Sunday, January 15th, 2017
Come out and enjoy bonfires, music, beer gardens, BBQ and much more at the Bourgeau Base area

-Salomon QST Days– Saturday, January 14th to Sunday, January 15th, 2017
Salomon will be out on the mountain with their all-mountain QST ski line up.
More details coming soon

Offline Dylan780

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2016, 03:14:57 PM »
Very cool, I like them, will probably tie it around my leg down near my boot. I till take one with Dylan780 on it!

Thanks for putting in all this effort!

Offline thedude

• beards comin in nice
  • Ride: 2013 SWP WRX Hatchback
« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2016, 10:20:58 PM »
Looks sweet! Thanks for all the hard work on this Jimpreza111
2008 Aprilia Shiver 750 - Sold 10/02/2017

thedude's 2013 WRX Build Thread

Offline Jimpreza111

• beards comin in nice
Re: WSC-Ski/Snowboard Trip to Sunshine Jan 14, 2017 (Free Buffs for attendees)
« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2016, 10:36:03 AM »
Picked up my 3 pack from Costco of direct to lift passes for Sunshine yesterday.

Can't wait to go!

Also Dylan780, I will build your personalized buff this week and if anyone else would like one please indicate below.

Offline diamondedge

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2004 FXT
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2016, 11:48:36 AM »
Thanks for all of your hard work Jim! My first and only time at Sunshine, I was riding in powder (which I've never done) and it was awesome.

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline Markkas

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2000 Version VI Subaru WRX RA
« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2016, 12:30:06 PM »
Thanks Markkas! That would be awesome but I hope you can make it out to enjoy the day with everyone on the slopes. You could tag along in my car if need be and your photography skills are valued.

I may take you up on that offer! I will know closer to the date!

Offline Jimpreza111

• beards comin in nice
« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2016, 01:47:15 PM »
You are all welcome and it's not much trouble at all. I sometimes enjoy doing artsy things with my free time and I figured this might make the day a little more enjoyable. After attending the Sylvan Cruise I recall some peoples names/faces but not all, figured it would doubly difficult to know who is who with ski gear on.  ::). Guess these could serve as a name tag of sorts if people wanted to have them personalized.

On another note I did receive a message back from Subaru City:

"Good afternoon James,
I am so happy to hear you are a part of the Western Subaru Club and I wish you a very successful and safe club cruise and ski trip to sunshine.
I have forwarded your email onto our parts manager, Mr. Doug Kroeker, as he usually handles this type of promotion.
Respectfully,
Ken Kruhlak"

Not sure if they will kick in anything but at least I know my message was received.   :D

I know we still have time to make plans and or commit/opt-out but I am hoping I can get a roster of all WSC members going by Christmas break.
That way I could actually get all attendees buffs personalized. I would like to print the names all in one shot or at least optimize the paper area in the printer.

Offline Player One

• beards comin in nice
« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2016, 02:06:47 PM »
I'm just waiting to hear back from my employer about my contract situation but I'm more than likely going to make it out. I will confirm by Christmas break for sure.
This was posted on Sunshine's Facebook page yesterday   :D

Offline 05LGT

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
  • Ride: 100% screaming bald eagles
« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2016, 04:04:12 PM »
I'm still in. I've got a seasons pass  :D
I don't name things I know I'm going to sell eventually. Hence why I'd never name any kids I had.

If you can't go fast with 90HP, 900HP won't help you. - Bob Hall

Offline SpdDmn

• beards comin in nice
  • Ride: MY08 SG9 FXT
« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2016, 05:07:34 PM »

I think now we are good on a date and beginning to have a plan lined up.
Next I would like to firm up the head/car count so I can approach sunshine about reserved parking possibly.
I will post another poll in here to get a rough idea of how many we have in attendance. Ask your friends/fam/other members who are not aware of the trip.
Poll will be up until Dec 9 and can be edited multiple times if something changes.

ALSO if you would like a personalized buff with WSC logo let me know, I will put your WSC name or guests name on them and it is no charge. Will also make some ones with just the logo above on them.
Just reply "Buff" and I will make one for you.

Please get your head count in before the poll closes and I will soon put together a final draft for the plans shortly.

I've been passing by this thread until I saw BUFF! :D :D
I desperately want one of these, for colder days riding the bike rather than skiing... Any chance I can snag one without breaking my bones on a hill somewhere?
Rachel M.
2008 WRB Forester XT Sports Ltd  [Build
2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
2007 OBP Forester XT [Journal] [RIP]  |  2002 Aspen White WRX  [ST2 167] [RIP]
2006 Kawasaki EX250 [Sold]  |  2007 Honda CBR600 RR [Sold]  |  2015 KTM RC390

Offline diamondedge

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2004 FXT
« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2016, 09:27:11 PM »
BUFF YAS

diamondedge

Thanks so much J. I'll have my GoPro on me, I'd be happy to film as many WSC'ers shredding as possible.

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline Polaris

• beards comin in nice
« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2016, 09:41:22 PM »
Debating getting real name on there or forum handle haha!