Author Topic: Political Correctness and Gender Neutral Language  (Read 8242 times)

Offline HiTempguy

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 1993 Legassy Tubr0/1995 STi
Re: Political Correctness and Gender Neutral Language
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2017, 10:26:58 AM »
There's no moderation here, but instead of reducing into any other forum troll, can we keep it civil here and not go after each other personally?

So you are asking us to keep it... politically correct?

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2017, 11:02:12 AM »
So you are asking us to keep it... politically correct?

lol

I have no desire to reargue a topic that I note you avoided once I provided a Neuroscience paper disputing your evidence-less claims.

Actually, this is more what I was asking.  Neither position is willing to move and while I'm all for discussion, this particular conversation between you and HiTemp is not constructive. 
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline HiTempguy

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 1993 Legassy Tubr0/1995 STi
« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2017, 11:47:17 AM »
I provided you with evidence. I have no desire to reargue a topic that I note you avoided once I provided a Neuroscience paper disputing your evidence-less claims.

I'm a busy guy, surprisingly enough, my days aren't centered around internet arguments. You provided a paper. One, singular, paper. And it didn't actually dispute my claims. They say yes, but what the paper shows is "we don't know" or a "maybe". Hardly stunning rock solid evidence.

I wouldn't really expect a lawyer to understand how scientific methods are applied in regards to white papers and journals. Needless to say, there are "peer-reviewed" white papers published in journals that support vaccines causing autism. So you might want to use some of that critical thinking you should have been taught over the years to look at the position you've taken. Just because its been studied or theorized, means about jack-itshay.

It's also not much different than the Climate Change arguments. To argue against, even with evidence in the scientific community, makes one a pariah (as you can see if you google animal emotion articles and reports). Then there are the biases (most people don't go into the study of animal behavioral sciences to disprove it, just like most people don't go into climate sciences to disprove it).

I also never did say that animals have no emotions/feelings. Just that they are not the same as humans, and to treat animals the exact same as humans and act like they are one of us is silly. My initial response to all of this was because some people were deriding a man for having lost millions of dollars in cars, and referring to them as being "like children". I don't much view it any different than the way people treat animals, they can do so, but it is ridiculous, neither are humans.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=qqcRGagyEuAC&lpg=PP1&dq=affective%20neuroscience&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q=affective%20neuroscience&f=false

Which all leads us back to the topic at hand, political correctness in society. It is politically correct to suggest animals have human emotions/feelings and "rich/deep inner lives" while it is politically incorrect to suggest otherwise. There are thousands upon thousands of people engaging in half-baked science to prove this, and there is still little to support their claims beyond "the feels" with them reaching for the ultimate conclusion "but what if they do?!" And then to go ad hominem on the individual as the only way to fight off any accusations of anthropomorphizing the subject.

Obviously, this is lost on you. Hence why this thread is a topic to begin with :rofl:

Offline WAGOWN

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: Ver. 7 STi Sport Wagon
« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2017, 01:42:22 PM »
Christ, take this to the other thread. We don't need two threads confirming that your mouth and your butthole are interchangeable in their ability to spew itshay.

So he gives you a well thought out rebuttal and you just resort to insult? Classic.
02 WRX, 97 OBS, 03 WRX, 98 OBS, 97 JDM Leg, 97 s/tb, 03 OBS, JDM V7 STi Wagon

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2017, 01:59:14 PM »
Time out.

I'm a busy guy, surprisingly enough, my days aren't centered around internet arguments. You provided a paper. One, singular, paper. And it didn't actually dispute my claims. They say yes, but what the paper shows is "we don't know" or a "maybe". Hardly stunning rock solid evidence.

I wouldn't really expect a lawyer to understand how scientific methods are applied in regards to white papers and journals. Needless to say, there are "peer-reviewed" white papers published in journals that support vaccines causing autism. So you might want to use some of that critical thinking you should have been taught over the years to look at the position you've taken. Just because its been studied or theorized, means about jack-itshay.

It's also not much different than the Climate Change arguments. To argue against, even with evidence in the scientific community, makes one a pariah (as you can see if you google animal emotion articles and reports). Then there are the biases (most people don't go into the study of animal behavioral sciences to disprove it, just like most people don't go into climate sciences to disprove it).

I also never did say that animals have no emotions/feelings. Just that they are not the same as humans, and to treat animals the exact same as humans and act like they are one of us is silly. My initial response to all of this was because some people were deriding a man for having lost millions of dollars in cars, and referring to them as being "like children". I don't much view it any different than the way people treat animals, they can do so, but it is ridiculous, neither are humans.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=qqcRGagyEuAC&lpg=PP1&dq=affective%20neuroscience&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q=affective%20neuroscience&f=false

Which all leads us back to the topic at hand, political correctness in society. It is politically correct to suggest animals have human emotions/feelings and "rich/deep inner lives" while it is politically incorrect to suggest otherwise. There are thousands upon thousands of people engaging in half-baked science to prove this, and there is still little to support their claims beyond "the feels" with them reaching for the ultimate conclusion "but what if they do?!" And then to go ad hominem on the individual as the only way to fight off any accusations of anthropomorphizing the subject.

This is fine.

Obviously, this is lost on you. Hence why this thread is a topic to begin with :rofl:

This is not fine. 

I'm also not obligated to engage a person who very clearly just wants to argue for the sake of arguing, but only on his terms and schedule. Do you honestly think he's going to change his mind or that his posts are going to change my mind or those of other readers?

Then stop replying.  Otherwise it's just a pissing match. 

https://youtu.be/BprY2Mj-zew?t=20m8s

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2017, 02:15:19 PM »
I'm not replying to him. I'm replying to WAGOWN who decided to weigh in here.

I know that.  But you have been replying to HiTemp. 

If you didn't reply to this:

Things are pretty crazy nowadays. Then again, on this very forum I was accused of having a human superiority complex over animals and bacteria, so uckfaying lawl  :sarcasm:

Which no one else was going to, this thread wouldn't have gone to crap again.  Watch that Beastie Boys video I linked.  You'll remember you don't believe in any of this fate crap. I promise by the time you're done watching it, you'll feel right as rain.

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Not contributing to WSC since 2008
  • Ride: 2015 VW tree-killer, 1990 Mazda hairdresser
« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2017, 02:16:38 PM »
This is the Matrix now?
Quote from: mudferret
Ambystom01 shows the funny picture whom is thine boss.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #82 on: November 07, 2017, 02:20:42 PM »

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2017, 02:27:01 PM »
itshay that means I'm Neo, the chosen one.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2017, 02:50:00 PM »
itshay that means I'm Neo, the chosen one.

It also means that the roles where you're not given much dialogue are better. 

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2017, 03:03:54 PM »

Offline Rathburn

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
  • Ride: Red Rockets
« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2017, 06:22:35 PM »
I think this fits in a thread about being PC:

Is illmotion's sunday school where you learn about how Stance Jesus scraped for your sins?
Roxanne - 2015 WRX Ginger - 1990 Civic Si
Avatar courtesy of Wong Photography

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #87 on: November 22, 2017, 05:26:20 PM »
Bare with the 15 second ad.  This is worth a listen.

For context: TA at WLU hosts a debate in class.  She (in her own mind) presents herself as neutral being that she is the moderator, but also brings up ideas that challenges trans pronouns.  One or more student(s) complain and she is reprimanded.  She records the meeting she had with the school admin. 

https://globalnews.ca/video/3867811/extended-excerpts-from-secretly-recorded-meeting-between-wilfrid-laurier-university-grad-student-and-faculty

Here's an article for more context:

https://globalnews.ca/news/3868080/laurier-accused-of-censorship-after-ta-reprimanded-for-playing-gender-pronoun-debate-clip/

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #88 on: November 22, 2017, 06:28:10 PM »
A itshay show for the university. Glad she recorded it and the professors got universally mocked for their ullbayitshay comments.

Offline Canuckrz

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2018, 11:29:43 AM »
A very good documentary you could call it on the events that played out with evergreen collage with Prof Bret Weinstein.