Author Topic: Not subaru related but mechanical  (Read 1698 times)

Offline Flex

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 12 DGM STi
Not subaru related but mechanical
« on: November 08, 2016, 06:17:46 am »
A question for the more mechanically knowledgeable than me. On my jeep tj on the front diff (dana 30) I noticed when doing a spring swap this past week that there is a breather line off the pumpkin on the diff. The fitting that goes into the diff had popped out. Doing some reading the fitting was pressed fit in and looks like I am going to have to tap the hole to put a new fitting in.

So my question is do I need to pull the diff cover to tap the hole. (to catch all the shavings)  I have read put grease on the tap and it will catch all the shavings. But will the shavings in the diff cause issues. I will pull the diff cover if that's the proper way to do it but just looking to save some time if I can.

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
Re: Not subaru related but mechanical
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 08:42:37 am »
Personally, I would pull the cover to catch the shavings because that's the sort of person I am.

However, if you presume the shavings will eventually settle in the bottom of the diff and hopefully won't be agitated during normal use then maybe they won't find their way into the mechanism, ruining your life forever and making you sterile.

It could depend on the size of the swarf as you cut. Smaller stuff might not be an issue. Larger stuff will sterilize you.

*Nods knowingly*

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 08:54:30 am »
I would pull it and do it properly because I would be kicking myself in the butt if I found out that the shavings caused a failure.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline Flex

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 09:24:29 am »
It would be tapping for a 1/8 NPT thread, no drilling required as the hole is already the correct size.

I am leaning towards pulling the cover but just seeing if I don't have to turn a 15 minute job into a couple hour one.

Offline Flex

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 09:25:34 am »
I would pull it and do it properly because I would be kicking myself in the butt if I found out that the shavings caused a failure.

on the positive side if the shavings did crater my diff then it would be the right excuse to upgrade from a dana 30 to a dana 44...... ;)

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 01:24:33 pm »
Personally, I'd just grease her up and tap it. The amount of metal chips and shavings that regularly come out of a healthy diff at it's first service is scary. I doubt the extra metal crumb or two will do anything.

But, if you're close to the fluid change interval, then I guess it's good timing. And depending how long that breather line has been off... have you checked the fluid condition anyways? It might be milkshake.
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline Flex

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 01:30:35 pm »
Personally, I'd just grease her up and tap it. The amount of metal chips and shavings that regularly come out of a healthy diff at it's first service is scary. I doubt the extra metal crumb or two will do anything.

But, if you're close to the fluid change interval, then I guess it's good timing. And depending how long that breather line has been off... have you checked the fluid condition anyways? It might be milkshake.

Spoke with a friend that runs a driveline shop and he said grease on the tap works well for collecting the shavings, and what little bit goes thru will be caught by the magnet in the diff. So I'm going to do it this weekend. I changed both diffs last fall and haven't offroaded it since so hopefully the fluid is still good. I will pull the plug and check it to make sure. I cant remember if when I changed it last year the vent tube was connected, I'm sure it was or I would have noticed it then and done something about it.

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
  • Ride: 2002 toyota tacoma 4dr (RTT crowdsourced with NFTs)
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 09:22:06 pm »

This

Do it with the case intact, drive around a bit, then change the oil. I'm assuming you have a magnetic drain.

Diffs Bleed shavings anyways.
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff
Subaru(sold) Ford (sold) Toyota