Author Topic: Antenna Connectors  (Read 1132 times)

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
Antenna Connectors
« on: December 03, 2016, 04:53:26 pm »
Since taking my car into Subaru for the Takata inflator replacement, my radio has stopped working.. They wouldn't fix it since they argued that my Jazzy modification caused that.. but it was working until I took it in.  Whatever..

I pulled the head unit out, and checked out the antenna.  It's soldered to the head unit,  from the head unit is one single wire with no break in it from the back of the radio (it's soldered onto the board), down the left side of the central console, across the floorpan, then up the A-pillar into the roof.  What a stupid design, everything has a connector into the HU but the antenna.  Anyways..

I'd like to break it and put in a connector.. will any connector work?  I'm thinking banana plugs or something like this:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/metra-antenna-cable-adapter/347324.p?id=1122653249084&skuId=347324

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/metra-radio-to-antenna-adapter-cable-for-subaru-legacy-or-outback/7306328.p?id=1118842512418&skuId=7306328

Would that work?

Also looking at potential bluetooth android head units.. how would I wire up the radio antenna to it?

Thanks..

They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
Re: Antenna Connectors
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 10:53:48 am »
I think the reason for a single wire, is it's shielded to not get any interference between the antenna and the end wire (from the car and such).

Most cars have a single connector at the end of the antenna that is universal to plug into any stock/aftermarket antenna.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
Re: Antenna Connectors
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 01:52:50 pm »
Oh, I see what you mean.  I'll put a spare DEANS plug on it and wrap it with foil to see if it'll work.. haha.

Will see if that works.  What a pain though.
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?