Author Topic: Grinding/rubbing/scraping sound when slowly turning right on a slight incline  (Read 1418 times)

Offline milkpumba

• Patchy Faced
  • Hakuna matata
  • Ride: 2017 ISM WRX
Have any of you guys experienced this grinding/rubbing/scraping sound when slowly turning on a slight incline from level ground? It's happened twice to my 17 WRX (everything is stock) It's been snowing a lot here in Calgary so at first I thought it was just the wheels rubbing from the snow packed in the wheel well. Can this sound be caused by the ABS/ Traction control system engaging? Thoughts?
I occasionally stream games on Twitch

Offline lawnmower

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 96wrx
I've had rocks and ice stuck between the rotor and backing plate and it makes a grinding noise. wash the area really well or pull your wheels off and get the rocks out.

Offline Tbone

• Patchy Faced
  • Subaru Slinger
  • Ride: 2017 Legacy 3.6R
The traction control does make some interesting noises like that however if you're really concerned about the issue I'd recommend bringing it in for service. Likely if there's snow/ice it'll activate right away if you're slipping on an incline. If you flick through your Multi-function display to go to the AWD chart it'll show if there was any slippage and give you an event time over a 30 second interval.

Offline snakeman

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: The Matrix
Is it just when you're starting out or is it a continuous scraping noise? Mine makes a little grind if my wheels are turned and I'm starting out on a slippery surface, it's definitely traction control related.

Offline milkpumba

• Patchy Faced
  • Hakuna matata
Is it just when you're starting out or is it a continuous scraping noise? Mine makes a little grind if my wheels are turned and I'm starting out on a slippery surface, it's definitely traction control related.

Same as yours, only happens to me when my wheels are turned and I lose traction. Doesn't sound nice I tell ya, first time I heard it I thought my fender got wrecked or something

Offline MRS.Bignerd

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • I'm not negative, I'm realistic!
  • Ride: 2016 CWP STi
Yes I have noticed this in my 16 STi.  Usually pulling into my driveway from the street. I assumed I was rubbing a trim piece or the bumper on the driveway even though I am angled when pulling in. I always check the bottom of my bumper and the trim under the doors but nothing is ever scratched. Only other thing I thought it might be is one of the RA mudflaps dragging on the ground? However they also appear to be unscathed.

Offline milkpumba

• Patchy Faced
  • Hakuna matata
Yes I have noticed this in my 16 STi.  Usually pulling into my driveway from the street. I assumed I was rubbing a trim piece or the bumper on the driveway even though I am angled when pulling in. I always check the bottom of my bumper and the trim under the doors but nothing is ever scratched. Only other thing I thought it might be is one of the RA mudflaps dragging on the ground? However they also appear to be unscathed.

Definitely the ABS/ Traction control engaging, don't sweat it. Most likely what's happening in your case is that the car is three wheeling when you're driving up unto your driveway. The ABS/ Traction control then engages to slow down the wheel up in the air. I've just learned to live with the sound ;D.

Offline rallyman_03

• Vendor
  • Stubbly Faced
  • Professional Lotus Alignment Sitter
  • Ride: 2017 STI, 2007 Subaru WRX (Written Off)
I've had this happen as well and in most cases, it's during severe situations (like one wheel being off the ground) sounds horrible but I've learned to accept it.