Author Topic: 2017 Biking Thread  (Read 6563 times)

Offline Anskiere

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 10 sti, 90 300ZX
Re: 2017 Biking Thread
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2017, 11:19:16 am »
LMAO, someone in Calgary has their super monsters for sale on pinkbike right now. I remember the days of 50lb+ freeride bikes, my SC Bullit was a relatively svelt 48lber way back then haha.

I have many plans for biking this summer, as wedding+childrens are in my future and this will likely be my last summer as a free man.
first plan is to drink a lot more beer.
second plan is to get my trail bike out a lot more. not because I think it's more fun than DH, because it's not even in the same universe. more because it will be easier to get out for an hour when kids hit than a full day to get to the big hills. so I might as well try to learn to like it. somehow.
third plan is to get another season pass to Kicking Horse/Fernie for DH.
fourth plan is to get to Whistler/Silverstar/Sun Peaks this fall.
fifth plan is to ditch my Fox 40s for something that doesn't beat the ever-lovin shite out of my multi-injured wrist. would love to have an Emerald, but expensive bling. one of the mechanics at Calgary Cycle has broken himself many times as well, and went from a 40 to a new Boxxer WC last summer. he said it was a game-changer for wrist pain.

Mikhail?

Offline Unholysavage

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2008 DGM WRX STI
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2017, 11:46:10 am »
nope, Quintin.
Mikhail loves his Fox 40s. he's been trying to sell me a set of new 40 Floats for the last year, as the new ones have a little more "give". 
would be a non-issue had I not broken the same wrist twice. the damping on the 40 is excellent.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Offline SubieRoo

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Is slow. And beaten up..
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2017, 02:09:15 pm »
Anybody recognize this trail? Curious if you've ridden it

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2017, 04:37:43 pm »
This time last year we were riding on dirt. This year… not so much. There is still a lot of snow on the majority of our trail systems, but I did find one little zone today that was good to go. Feels so good!

Untitled by Evan Jones, on Flickr
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Unholysavage

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2008 DGM WRX STI
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2017, 07:45:19 pm »
I spent the afternoon at High Line brewing, chilling with he owners. But my biking season is coming haha. Made my mind up, ditching the Fox 40 and putting a MRD kit in my Dorado. The MRD kit addresses every issue I had with the fork, for a fraction of the price of anything else. Plan is to sell/trade my 40 and pick up a 180mm travel Fox 36 for my Darkside. My fiancee has already voiced her concern for building yet another bike hahaha
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1998 Version 5 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R V-Limited
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2017, 08:50:53 pm »
Replying just to sub to this.

With plans to travel/be in Europe for over half of the summer, I don't think I'll be out much. If I can get one day in somewhere though (probably Whistler or Pano), i'll definitely take advantage of it.

Offline Longlivetheride

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: Nissan Juke Nismo, Nissan Frontier,Fix - Cronus Rally MSport R2
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2017, 03:25:58 pm »
I spent the afternoon at High Line brewing, chilling with he owners. But my biking season is coming haha. Made my mind up, ditching the Fox 40 and putting a MRD kit in my Dorado. The MRD kit addresses every issue I had with the fork, for a fraction of the price of anything else. Plan is to sell/trade my 40 and pick up a 180mm travel Fox 36 for my Darkside. My fiancee has already voiced her concern for building yet another bike hahaha

Nice choices

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
  • Ride: 2002 toyota tacoma 4dr (RTT crowdsourced with NFTs)
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2017, 03:37:48 pm »
does anyone in calgary have a shock pump I can borrow to set up my girlfriend's bike? Mines locked in my truck which is in a storage lot about 40 minutes out of town.
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff
Subaru(sold) Ford (sold) Toyota

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2017, 09:11:09 am »
Where in Calgary are you?

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2017, 09:16:27 am »
The middle east.

I live roughly 8th ave and 52nd st.
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff

Offline Mason

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2 feet and a heart beat
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2017, 11:30:30 am »
Hey guys, not sure if ill get in trouble for this, but we are looking to raise a few dollars to help get the insurance cost for the year covered. Every dollar goes straight into the jumps and you can win some awesome prizes! any questions just ask private message me or send me a request on facebook: Mason Rice
https://www.gofundme.com/pines-dirt-jump-funraise

here is a video to showcase the jumps https://www.pinkbike.com/video/460992/

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2017, 09:51:42 pm »
Anyone doing any racing this season? The BC/Canadian Enduro Series kicks off in Penticton on Sunday, April 30. It's going to be really great event with some fun and challenging stages. The trails are running awesome out here! I'm not going to be racing, but I'll be there helping out in some capacity.

If you can't make it out for the race but find yourself in the area anytime during the season let me know and I'd be happy to show you around if I'm available.
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline cmyles

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 90 Miata
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2017, 08:52:11 am »
A few weekends ago I ended up buying a 2010 Giant Faith 0 that needed a bit of work, but for the price I couldn't say no.

Then I ended up buyinga 2010 Scott Spark 30, carbon frame, 24lbs, can't believe it  ^-^Also for a ridiculous price, the bike has been ridden a handful of times. The guy brought it over from Australia with him and its sat ever since.

Then I sold my 2009 Six One..

Pretty excited to have my arsenal of bikes ready for cross country, and downhill. I've only ever had one bike to "try" and do both.

Pics!

2010 Giant Faith 0 (Bought)

2009 Norco Six 1 (Sold)

Don't have an actual picture; 2010 Scott Spark 30 (Bought)

Now I just need to try and sell the girlfriends bike to get her into an XS... Small is just a bit too big haha.

Current Vehicles
// 1990 Miata MX-5 || 09 WRX Hatch \\

Past Vehicles:
01 S/TB, 08 Spec.B, 05 Foz, 05 A4, 06 IS350, 05 LGT, 06 2.5i, 07 STi, 04 WRX, 95 GC8, 95 BG5, 94 EJ1

Offline WAGOWN

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: Ver. 7 STi Sport Wagon
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2017, 12:17:21 pm »
Maaaan... bikes are crazy now! I have a half-decent Ironhorse XC that I bought at Sport-Chek like 10 years ago. Sorta crappy disc brakes and sorta crappy Shimano Deore gear.  I have maintained it well though, upgraded a few parts, and my interest in biking has gone up and down in that decade. I have become pretty interested lately and it's got a nice light frame so I'm thinking about maybe trying to take it all apart, get a better saddle, front fork and handlebars and see if I can't get it all back together. Hell, maybe I'll upgrade the shifters/derailleurs and brakes too! Is it worth it?

There is a ton of paved trail here in Red Deer and I'm also considering getting a bike suited to getting around that kinda stuff while I rebuild the other bike. MEC seems to have a pretty great bike department - what are you guys' opinions on road bikes and MEC?
02 WRX, 97 OBS, 03 WRX, 98 OBS, 97 JDM Leg, 97 s/tb, 03 OBS, JDM V7 STi Wagon

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2017, 02:02:12 pm »
Mountain bike technology has changed so much in the last 10 years. You'll be way better off buying something a couple years old, gently used, than trying to fix up your old one. The amount of money you'd spend trying to bring an old bike to today's standards wouldn't be worth it.

MEC has a solid bike shop, especially the one in Calgary, right Longlivetheride?
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline WAGOWN

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2017, 02:07:28 pm »
^That's kinda what I expected to hear, haha. My brother spent a relatively small mount on a Ghost from MEC and it beats mine in so many ways.

Offline kold911

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2014 forester XT, 1/2 of a 2003 wrx
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2017, 03:05:04 pm »
Spend some money on a proper tune up, and just ride what you have. Figure out after this year, how much you rode, and how much you are planning on riding.

I've ridden in RD, and TBH, basically count on driving somewhere else if you want to progress anymore (probably after the first year). While the trails in RD are great for a quick run (1-2 hours), they aren't super challenging, and you'll end up doing hill repeats just to get some elevation. (the only reason I ride in RD, is my inlaws live in RD, and I can escape for a few hours for a quick ride).

Basically, spend a year and figure out if you're willing to commit to this "hobby".

(not trying to turn you off of it, just realize that you may end up driving far and often to do some challenging rides).

I'm pretty spoiled here in Calgary, not only do I live 2 mins from fish creek, but I'm 25 mins from West Bragg/Moose. I've got a ton of great options super close.
Jeff

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2017, 04:16:57 pm »
Spend some money on a proper tune up, and just ride what you have. Figure out after this year, how much you rode, and how much you are planning on riding.

I've ridden in RD, and TBH, basically count on driving somewhere else if you want to progress anymore (probably after the first year). While the trails in RD are great for a quick run (1-2 hours), they aren't super challenging, and you'll end up doing hill repeats just to get some elevation. (the only reason I ride in RD, is my inlaws live in RD, and I can escape for a few hours for a quick ride).

Basically, spend a year and figure out if you're willing to commit to this "hobby".

(not trying to turn you off of it, just realize that you may end up driving far and often to do some challenging rides).

I'm pretty spoiled here in Calgary, not only do I live 2 mins from fish creek, but I'm 25 mins from West Bragg/Moose. I've got a ton of great options super close.

yup, dont upgrade, get a new one. But as above, that bike you have will do you alright for pretty much anything you can throw at it, even stuff 3+ hours drive away. Heck, I rode a sportchek bike at mount washington for 2 years before I snapped the frame and had to buy a real bike. I did a 7 mountain bike/hike grind on a hardtail dirtjumper. The bikes just a tool. Like this dude says, ride it out for a year, see if youre riding lots of pavement, some dirt trails, some dh, some uphill, what are you actually gonna ride?
at that point youll know whether to get:
a road bike
a commuter bike
a road bike with knobbies
a cyclocross bike
an xc bike
an enduro bike
a dirt jumper
or a DH bike.

Offline WAGOWN

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2017, 05:41:55 pm »
I am definitely concerned with commute (possible long distance) tenfold over fast/jumps/downhill. I spent my youth skateboarding and now I have a career where I can't afford to hurt my hands so I am by no means wanting to learn a new extreme sport, ha ha.

That said, some easier non hardcore mountain trail riding is something I have been meaning to experience for a long time, and never actually got around to. Usually the added expense/hassle of a bike carrier turned me off it. That and none of my friends ride, so it's been easy to avoid.

I'm not looking to spend huge money, and I have no idea what kinda bike would suit everything I wanna do. If one would.. Also, if I don't ride lots, it really isn't worth buying a new bike at all. I feel like half the time I want a bike that is way different than what I'm riding, but unsure in what way. A tune up is already in the future (been a couple years now) and likely some tires that are a little more suited to majority pavement riding. The advice to ride my bike this year and think is great!

Offline Anskiere

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 10 sti, 90 300ZX
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2017, 06:16:56 pm »
To do actual fun trails, like ski touring, you need to have a minimum technical ability to enjoy it IMO. So you'll pretty much have to go enough times to get better

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2017, 06:44:26 pm »
I rode my sister's cyclocross bike (kona jake the snake) all around Hamilton Ontario when I was out there visiting and had a blast going up and down little bike trails that run through the parks there. It was like a whole new experience going from DH to this, and made the easy trails super fun. Plus it was SO FAST on the pavement hoooooly.

Offline Longlivetheride

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2017, 01:21:19 pm »
Mountain bike technology has changed so much in the last 10 years. You'll be way better off buying something a couple years old, gently used, than trying to fix up your old one. The amount of money you'd spend trying to bring an old bike to today's standards wouldn't be worth it.

MEC has a solid bike shop, especially the one in Calgary, right Longlivetheride?

Yup pretty exciting times at MEC

Had a good ride in C more on the fat bike. Not much snow but was still pretty fun

Offline Longlivetheride

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2017, 01:25:15 pm »
A few weekends ago I ended up buying a 2010 Giant Faith 0 that needed a bit of work, but for the price I couldn't say no.

Then I ended up buyinga 2010 Scott Spark 30, carbon frame, 24lbs, can't believe it  ^-^Also for a ridiculous price, the bike has been ridden a handful of times. The guy brought it over from Australia with him and its sat ever since.

Then I sold my 2009 Six One..

Pretty excited to have my arsenal of bikes ready for cross country, and downhill. I've only ever had one bike to "try" and do both.

Pics!

2010 Giant Faith 0 (Bought)

2009 Norco Six 1 (Sold)

Don't have an actual picture; 2010 Scott Spark 30 (Bought)

Now I just need to try and sell the girlfriends bike to get her into an XS... Small is just a bit too big haha.

Wow sold that faith many years ago. If you need an XS ladys bike let me know we are selling off my GF's freeride bike 

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2017, 04:03:24 pm »

Wow sold that faith many years ago. If you need an XS ladys bike let me know we are selling off my GF's freeride bike

Curious as to how much? My gf is going to learn how much she hates her super cycle once I take her on one real bike ride lol.

There's actually been a number of incredible deals on Kijiji so far this spring. I've been tempted by a few.

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2017, 09:34:58 pm »
Curious as to how much? My gf is going to learn how much she hates her super cycle once I take her on one real bike ride lol.

There's actually been a number of incredible deals on Kijiji so far this spring. I've been tempted by a few.

I had one, same bike except for cockpit components, but I sold it last spring for $1,300 to a buddy. I was asking around $1,500 to any joe blow.
THE EDJ on flickr