Author Topic: Raspberry Pi  (Read 3102 times)

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
Raspberry Pi
« on: January 20, 2017, 09:17:21 am »
Hadn't really seen a thread on here yet, but I figured I'd start one.

I'm very curious who here has a Pi (0/1/2/3), and what you're doing with them?

After being unable to find an NES Classic, I decided to pick up a PI3 from Canakit via Amazon.

I've set it up to dual-boot via berryboot with Kodi and Retropie. I've also managed to setup Retropie to use moonlight to stream steam games, and virtual USB so I can use a steering wheel as well.

After seeing this kit in stock again, I opted to pick up a second one. Not sure what I'll do with it yet, but I love just screwing around on it.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline kold911

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2014 forester XT, 1/2 of a 2003 wrx
Re: Raspberry Pi
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 09:49:39 am »
I have a 3, and use it for kodi.

I'm hoping to build another one as a retropie, as I think the kids would have a blast with the old stuff. But I haven't figured out controllers.
Jeff

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 09:52:17 am »
I've successfully used 2x PS3 bluetooth controllers (wirelessly and wired) with no issue, and 2x Xbox One controllers (wired) with no issue.
Played 4-player Mario Kart 64 this way.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 10:07:40 am »
Christine's cousin uses his to watch netflix.  It was pretty slick, but way over my head.
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline kold911

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2014 forester XT, 1/2 of a 2003 wrx
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 10:08:34 am »
Wow. Really. I didn't think it would be able to handle 4 player.. (shows how much I know about these things)..

I keep dreaming of making an arcade style (table one) but I'm lacking ambition to start..
Jeff

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 10:16:18 am »
I'd love to make a full size cabinet with a Pi, but I just don't have the wood working skills. I feel like if I could get the cabinet together, I could make the rest of it work.

I did find out it has a hard limit of 4 controllers. I left a keyboard plugged in (for the dual boot screen) and it bumped one of the wireless controllers off.

Offline SpdDmn

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: MY08 SG9 FXT
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 11:29:29 am »
I have a second gen one I think. I used to use it to stream, RaspBMC IIRC, but it was mega ultra slow. I imagine it was my TekSavvy 5Mbps internet, but there were write ups that if the power supply was inadequate, it would run slow. Never bothered to sort it out.

This year at my office we didn't get our printed wall calendars, and I really briefly considered using the Pi for that... lol... uckfay you office, you won't give me a $5 calendar, I'll burn $100's on this digital calendar! Then I smartened up, because I'd have to request the maintenance guy mount a monitor on my wall, and that wouldn't go over well. Same with that cool mirror that says you're looking hot today. Too difficult to mount.

I really like the idea of an NES! I saw a writeup to mount the Pi inside a newer controller, but I only want the original one I used in 1991 at my friend's house :P  There are too many buttons on newer ones.
Rachel M.
2008 WRB Forester XT Sports Ltd  [Build
2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
2007 OBP Forester XT [Journal] [RIP]  |  2002 Aspen White WRX  [ST2 167] [RIP]
2006 Kawasaki EX250 [Sold]  |  2007 Honda CBR600 RR [Sold]  |  2015 KTM RC390

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP

Offline OrcasNotOilers

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2006 Saab 9-2x 2.5i 5MT, 2008 Jeep Patriot North 5MT (For Sale), 2013 Acura MDX
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 12:35:48 pm »
I've built three, the first a B, the second a B+, and the third a Pi 3. The latter two were RetroPie builds for my brother-in-law and my youth group, respectively. The first one used to be for running Plex but with Chromecast and Smart TVs it hasn't had much use yet. I typically get a friend to 3D print a case for me.

The other thing I've trialed was using it as a music player. I have dreams of dedicating Pi's to different sound systems around the house, but now Chromecast Audio will end up being more cost-effective, and easier.

Offline SpdDmn

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: MY08 SG9 FXT
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 12:39:17 pm »
More so these controllers, because I'm even OLDER than purple buttons!
But yeah, my life would be pretty complete with that, plus maybe some light up sneakers.
Rachel M.
2008 WRB Forester XT Sports Ltd  [Build
2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
2007 OBP Forester XT [Journal] [RIP]  |  2002 Aspen White WRX  [ST2 167] [RIP]
2006 Kawasaki EX250 [Sold]  |  2007 Honda CBR600 RR [Sold]  |  2015 KTM RC390

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 12:42:32 pm »
More so these controllers, because I'm even OLDER than purple buttons!
But yeah, my life would be pretty complete with that, plus maybe some light up sneakers.

That would work, but I have emulators that needs fancier controllers than that. Like N64 and the PS1.

Offline nosale

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: SG XTi
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 01:51:48 pm »
I've got one that I can carry around with some custom tools that I made so I can compromise my friend's networks. Funny when they try to load a page and all they can get is the "wake up neo" screen.

I've flashed a few for Kodi for some friends and they love it.

Another one I have on my network for monitoring and controlling traffic on a per-device basis (by mac address). This way I can turn internet on and off to specific devices based on rules (like usage, site visits, etc...). Mostly for parental controls.

Last fun project I did was make an ARCAL for one of my friends. He wanted to be able to turn on lights up on his property near Sundre when he was flying by. The lights are triggered by a series of 5 radio clicks on a specific frequency. It's pre-programed to leave the lights on for 10 minutes, then they shut off. Probably the coolest project I did with an RPi.

Really, the possibilities are endless.

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 03:26:11 pm »
What are these things even for? Never heard of them.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2017, 05:49:48 pm »
Anything you want. They're mini linux machines.

Offline RedndWhite

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Classing up the Joint since 2018
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2017, 07:05:53 am »
https://www.amazon.ca/SNES30-Wireless-Bluetooth-Controller-Classic/dp/B00VAQG5GQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1484937018&sr=8-5&keywords=bluetooth+nes+controller

I have the NES version of the 8Bitdo controllers, and they're really good quality. Highly recommend.

It was discussed to turn one of these into a mail or media server around the house. Just something to stream music off of (like the Chromecast), but haven't picked one up yet. People have also put RP3s into keyboards to have a linux box with them wherever they go, and can run the pi off of the keyboard or use the keyboard as a regular device on any other computer. 
Photos and Stuff

Al-Tessa;
Beat'm'up
Life is too short to be stock and drive boring cars.

Offline Player One

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Jack of some trades, master of none
  • Ride: 13 WRX Hatch
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2017, 09:26:06 am »
I've never used one before but they frequently have articles on lifehacker http://lifehacker.com/tag/raspberry-pi. Some pretty cool ideas

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2017, 10:08:21 am »
Anything you want. They're mini linux machines.

Ah. Much of a benefit over having a decent media tower hooked up to my tv?

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2017, 10:55:03 am »
I mean... Maybe? I guess it depends if you're playing media direct, or streaming. I have all my content stored on a local NAS that's running Plex, and kodi can stream from that, but that has the NAS processor do the heavy lifting.

Kodi can direct stream, so you're essentially watching torrents, without having to store them.

Offline SiliconX

• Stubbly Faced
  • Flat4
  • Ride: 2013 SWP STI Sedan
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2017, 11:07:43 am »
Yeah I got the CanaKit one to run RetroPie. I have it set up for the most part but MAME is such a pain in the assay needing reference ROMs. I did get the reference set for RetroLib but its taking a long time to sort through 4720 ROMs ::)

The plan is to set up a 2 or 4 player pedestal machine that I can move around the house so when the guys come over we can drink and play it in the living room or move it out to the TV in the garage if we're working on someone's car. If you want to build a cabinet but don't have the tools/skill to make it yourself, there is a company in Ontario and one in Edmonton that will sell you the precut pieces to assemble the set up yourself. You can buy everything from a full-size cabinet to just a 2p control set up. I think they even do free shipping, at least Retro-Active Arcade (Edmonton) does, though I think their stuff has a lead time as its made to order. GRD (Ontario) seems to keep the kits in stock.

http://gameroomdesigns.ca/

http://retroactivearcade.ca/

I think though eventually I will switch to a JAMMA Pandora's Box for a more authentic arcade cabinet experience.

Offline Korokodile

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2009 WRX Hatchback WRB
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2017, 03:28:48 pm »
Has anyone tried using a Pi for OBD2 diagnostics? I had my accessport stolen and got an idea to emulate one for monitoring boost etc.. Might be good on a resume too.

Offline JohnnyCanuck

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2005 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2017, 06:29:29 pm »
I've had stream ond for over a year and it has worked flawless.  http://www.streamteammedia.com/ond-tv-box/
Turbo Schmurbo. - Ghandi

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Light a man a fire,  you keep him warm for a night.  Light a man on fire,  you keep him warm the rest of his life.
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2017, 04:14:23 pm »
I'm soooooo late to the party,  but I'm going to try playing with my first Pi tonight.

I already have a couple projects planned for them. First I think I'll try the retropi and play some Contra.  I know literally nothing about programming,  but figure this is as good a way to learn as any. 

When comfortable with it,  I'd love to build a carputer.  The BMW system is limited and generally just painful to use with the iphone.  My endgame is to have a system in place where I have more availability for audio and video on the BMW IBUS system. 

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2008 spec.B
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2017, 04:30:38 pm »
First I think I'll try the retropi and play some Contra.

Lemme get this straight. You want to learn programming, which sucks, to play a very difficult NES game that frustrates you to no end?!

I highly approve. uckfay, I'm going to go dig out my NDSLite and play some Contra4.

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2017, 06:15:57 pm »
Lemme get this straight. You want to learn programming, which sucks, to play a very difficult NES game that frustrates you to no end?!

I highly approve. uckfay, I'm going to go dig out my NDSLite and play some Contra4.

Up, down, up, down, left, right, left, right, B, A.

Offline snakeman

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: The Matrix
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2017, 07:19:41 pm »
Up, down, up, down, left, right, left, right, B, A.

WRONG

up, up, down, down