Author Topic: The Slövo Mobile: 2007 XC70 2.5T  (Read 2727 times)

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Your typical Asian driver
  • Ride: W164 BT, 02 C5Z06 Wasp
The Slövo Mobile: 2007 XC70 2.5T
« on: January 23, 2017, 11:57:51 pm »
After deciding that it was time to part ways with the Legacy, I went on an extensive vehicle search and considered a few options. Basically, I needed a dedicated DD that I could use for work occasionally. A few requirements: AWD, moderate power, car-like handling dynamics, great ride quality and creature comfort, trunk space, easy maintenance, and some ground clearance for the rare soft roading occasions. I really wanted a P3 (08+) XC70 T6, but the P3 wagons are still quite expensive, basically within stone-throw range of some German options. So I looked into E70 X5 diesel and 957 Cayenne, but they are stretching my budget a little bit and maintenance isn't cheap. As most of us know, the game of "if I just spend a couple thousand more, I could get that" is a very dangerous game to play. Finally, a light bulb went off in my head... why don't I only spend a sensible amount on something reasonably nice and save the rest?

May I introduce Slövo: 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T. The car basically had every option checked except navigation and rear seat DVD.
Key points:
- 158900 km on the clock
- 208 HP and 236 lb*ft
- 5 speed automatic (Yeah... I know... I already miss the STI 6 speed)
- 4C suspension (semi-active suspension designed by Ohlins, made by Monroe)
- Brown and beige interior
- Bending HID headlights
- Factory upgraded stereo
- 3 sets of tires and 2 sets of rims

Driving back from Calgary, the initial impressions were very positive. The seats! As what you'd expect from a Volvo, the seats were stupid comfortable, the drive home did not feel tiring at all. In comfort mode, the suspension soaked up most of the bumps perfectly well, and the bigger bumps were dealt with in one stroke. In sport mode, the ride quality felt just slightly firmer, but dive, squat, and body roll were reduced. I initially thought I'd be hungry for a little more power, but I found it perfectly adequate. I had no problem taking off from a light or passing on highway. Cruising at "QE2 speed limit" was effortless and relaxing. Overall, I am very happy with the purchase, it's very enjoyable.

Future plan for the car is to use it and maintain it. Get a solid stage 0 in the near future: fluid changes (oil, ATF, and brake), spark plugs, coil packs, timing belt, water pump, accessory belt. When warmer weather rolls around, I'll take care of PCV service, bevel gear service, and Haldex pump service. The 4C struts still feel solid, but I hope they do not leak in the next couple years. If all holds up well, I'll get a downpipe and throw on a tune (+80HP and +80 torque).

Two blue turbo wagons!

Offline RedBimmer93

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Legacy Spec B, and Two Mopar gas guzzlers
Re: The Slövo Mobile: 2007 XC70 2.5T
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 12:46:31 am »
Looks like redwood meadows in those photos! :D

Congrats on the purchase! Looks like you have found the ultimate highway cruiser!

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 01:10:00 pm »
Looks like redwood meadows in those photos! :D

Congrats on the purchase! Looks like you have found the ultimate highway cruiser!

It is Redwood Meadows. It looks like a very lovely place to live. I wish there's a neighborhood like this near Edmonton.

This thing cruises quite well! Hitting the perfect heel-toe downshift in the Legacy was a really rewarding feeling, but after a long day at work, sometimes I just want to be able to relax a little bit. Driving the Slovo relaxes me.

Offline RedndWhite

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Classing up the Joint since 2018
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 02:30:18 pm »
For a stint I was driving a 02 XC70; they're really nice.

Volvo seats have always been exceptionally nice, the '86 245 seats, even after 360k km were still comfy to cruise long distances in, the '97 S70 seats were great to run to Fort Mac in from Calgary, and the '02 XC70 leather fully adjustable things, if I could get that driver seat as an office chair, I'd be a happy man.

They have a good power delivery, there's certainly turbo lag, but it's not nearly as prevalent as some vehicles. I still think Subaru has the best AWD, but I won't complain about the Volvo one, it will power through a lot and can get it sideways with some effort. My complaint though is the slapchop transmission wasn't quite as responsive as I'd like, but auto trans, so what do ya do.

But when it comes down to it, it's a really great cruiser. I think the trunk capacity is better than the Legacy, but could be wrong.... Regardless, you'll have space for days.

Congrats on the purchase!
Photos and Stuff

Al-Tessa;
Beat'm'up
Life is too short to be stock and drive boring cars.

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 02:40:33 pm »
Great purchase.

I didn't even think to consider one of these as a potential 3rd vehicle but now I might have too. My grandparents and uncle exclusively drive Volvo's so its only fitting that I continue that on.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline drewfuspx

• Vendor
  • Patchy Faced
  • "Is it supposed to sound like that?"
  • Ride: 2010 Legacy 3.6R Ltd w/ M
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 05:34:25 pm »
Every part of my soul wants a V-70R... had one at the dealership and it was love. Volvo's are awesome, that's a nice car man!
I broke it.  Just like how I'm going to break you

a piece of bread for dinner.  Want to come over? 

Offline the_saint

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2004 STi
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 07:35:32 pm »
Great car.

Had one as a rental a few years ago and it was FANTASTIC.  Definitely a great mountain/highway car.  The headlights were a bit disconcerting at first as they turned with the wheel, but a great feature.

Grew up driving an 84 245 :)  So much fun, so underpowered.  A great car on the highway for comfort.

Enjoy!

Offline frcefed

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018 M5 - 2015 R1
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 08:24:20 pm »
Congrats not he new ride!

Saw the new 70 and 90 line at the Montreal car show and all I can say is WOW!! They've done a great job on the interior and they look sexy as hell!

I'd definitely consider the new V60 Polestar after it gets the interior and exterior facelift.
The heavy four door saloon just beat the sports car.... That's the M5's job!

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 08:42:29 pm »
For a stint I was driving a 02 XC70; they're really nice.

Volvo seats have always been exceptionally nice, the '86 245 seats, even after 360k km were still comfy to cruise long distances in, the '97 S70 seats were great to run to Fort Mac in from Calgary, and the '02 XC70 leather fully adjustable things, if I could get that driver seat as an office chair, I'd be a happy man.

They have a good power delivery, there's certainly turbo lag, but it's not nearly as prevalent as some vehicles. I still think Subaru has the best AWD, but I won't complain about the Volvo one, it will power through a lot and can get it sideways with some effort. My complaint though is the slapchop transmission wasn't quite as responsive as I'd like, but auto trans, so what do ya do.

But when it comes down to it, it's a really great cruiser. I think the trunk capacity is better than the Legacy, but could be wrong.... Regardless, you'll have space for days.

Congrats on the purchase!

Thanks! Having had a 06 XC90 and now this XC70, I agree with everything above. The Haldex AWD is not as good the Subaru AWD when it comes to performance driving, especially coming from a DCCD with F+R LSD setup. But the AWD does what it should do, and can plow through everything I have thrown at it. The handling characteristic is very intuitive, too. I think 05 or 06 is the year that the Haldex got updated with a preload pump, making the response a lot quicker. My 06 XC90 gets sideways a lot easier than my friend's 04 XC90. I've driven the XC90 many times between Edmonton and FMM, the seats are just amazing. I think the trunk length is similar to my dad's Legacy wagon, but the XC70 is more square, giving it a little more volume. The 5 speed Aisin transmission shifts slow, it does like to lock up the torque converter when possible, so it makes same gear acceleration feel "connected".

Great purchase.

I didn't even think to consider one of these as a potential 3rd vehicle but now I might have too. My grandparents and uncle exclusively drive Volvo's so its only fitting that I continue that on.

I think the issue with Volvo is they don't try to sell you a car in a 15-minute test drive, there's really nothing that jumps out and screams "look at me, so fancy/sporty/buttons/screens/etc." They just aren't very attractive at a glance for people that are not familiar with them. Instead, they make cars that are enjoyable for long term ownership, so it takes a longer drive to feel these things. Long-term reliability seems pretty good on the T5 engines: with over 250k km on my XC90, I have only done maintenance items.

Every part of my soul wants a V-70R... had one at the dealership and it was love. Volvo's are awesome, that's a nice car man!

My friend had a 07 V70R 6 speed manual. With downpipe and tune, it was pure seks.

Great car.

Had one as a rental a few years ago and it was FANTASTIC.  Definitely a great mountain/highway car.  The headlights were a bit disconcerting at first as they turned with the wheel, but a great feature.

Grew up driving an 84 245 :)  So much fun, so underpowered.  A great car on the highway for comfort.

Enjoy!

First headlights reaction: "DAFUQ just happened? Wait... oh! Ohhhhhh!" *Started doing slaloms on an empty road.

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 09:38:27 am »
Pretty dope choice. I'm always glad to see one of these on the road.

Was it only the early XC90 that eats transmissions?

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2017, 11:36:32 am »
Pretty dope choice. I'm always glad to see one of these on the road.

Was it only the early XC90 that eats transmissions?
It was only the XC90 T6 that goes through transmissions. It was the older twin turbo straight 6 paired with the GM 4 speed transmission. The 5 speed Aisin and later the 6 speed are pretty good.

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 12:32:40 pm »
Note to self: 159000km, installed new OEM spark plugs, and Bosch high discharge coil packs. Next steps: timing belt, oil change, ATF change, brake pads, and alignment. The thought of keeping this car 100% stock did not last very long... I will likely get a downpipe and a tune for the car near the end of this summer.

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
Re: The Slövo Mobile: 2007 XC70 2.5T - THE END?
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2017, 09:20:17 pm »
Well... Depends on what happens in the next week or so, this one may be a wrap. On my way to Airdrie on Monday morning, Slovo was part of a 6-car pile up. I slowed down to avoid the debris field of a terrible accident that just happened moments prior, but the pick-up truck didn't slow down enough, and rear ended me. It was a pretty big impact, but I walked away with very minor muscle spasms in my upper back. Wanna know what caused all these? Here's a life pro tip: in a winter storm, do not abandon your white Pontiac G6 IN THE LEFT LANE at the very top of an overpass. Push the damn thing to the shoulder! Leave the hazard lights on!

The Volvo is gangster AF though... The rear bumper is cracked, one tail light is cracked, and rear wind shield shattered. Rear hatch still opens and locks, and it drives just fine. I even gave the pick up driver a ride home. The damage does not look terrible, but I'm afraid the repair estimate may very easily add up to 60% of the vehicle's value. I hope my insurance company decides to fix the car. It'll be pretty hard to find a late P2 car with the same options.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017, 09:40:00 pm »
I even gave the pick up driver a ride home.

Nice.  Sorry to hear though :(  I hope you recover quickly, even if the injuries are minor, and that the car is repairable. 
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2017, 09:52:26 pm »
Nice.  Sorry to hear though :(  I hope you recover quickly, even if the injuries are minor, and that the car is repairable.

Thank you. I will recover quickly. I'm just frustrated that all this happened... and how stupid the reason was.

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2017, 09:26:06 am »
RIP Slovo :( Hopefully the buyback is low and it can be returned to the road.

Hope you are okay in the next few days. Have you seen a doctor yet?

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2017, 10:14:46 am »
RIP Slovo :( Hopefully the buyback is low and it can be returned to the road.

Hope you are okay in the next few days. Have you seen a doctor yet?

If I buy it back from the insurance company and fix it myself, would that make it a rebuild title?

I did see a doctor. Doctor said just rest and the muscle strain should go away within a week.

Offline Perfect Dark

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Wagoon!
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2017, 10:58:27 am »
If I buy it back from the insurance company and fix it myself, would that make it a rebuild title?

I did see a doctor. Doctor said just rest and the muscle strain should go away within a week.

Another victim of the itshay show on Monday...sorry to hear that man.  My car is likely written off as well, may buy it back just to get some parts off of it.

Yes, if it's deemed a write off and you buy it back it becomes a rebuilt title once it passes the inspections I believe.

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2017, 12:31:20 pm »
Another victim of the itshay show on Monday...sorry to hear that man.  My car is likely written off as well, may buy it back just to get some parts off of it.

Yes, if it's deemed a write off and you buy it back it becomes a rebuilt title once it passes the inspections I believe.

Ahh... That sucks. Where was your accident? Were you injured at all? I was about 10 minutes north of Ponoka. I still cannot comprehend why was a car abandoned in the left lane...

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2017, 12:41:25 pm »
Some photos of the accident. Let me know if this breaks the community rules. The beige F150 was what hit me. He might have made a second impact with the guard rail, but I'm pretty impressed with how Slovo held up in this "what about the other guy" contest.

Offline Perfect Dark

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Wagoon!
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2017, 01:13:01 pm »
Ahh... That sucks. Where was your accident? Were you injured at all? I was about 10 minutes north of Ponoka. I still cannot comprehend why was a car abandoned in the left lane...

Just south of Airdrie, the road I was on is well known for being absolute shite when it's windy and snowing.  I've got a bit of back pain, getting assessed for some treatments but I'll live.

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2017, 07:33:46 pm »

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2017, 07:53:34 pm »
Yes
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2017, 07:56:41 pm »
Yes
Your reply is very matching to your profile photo.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2017, 08:13:45 pm »
Your reply is very matching to your profile photo.

Should get coop to chime in.
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube