Author Topic: Foz207  (Read 1928 times)

Offline SubieRoo

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Is slow. And beaten up..
Foz207
« on: January 28, 2017, 07:56:30 pm »
Has anybody ever swapped a jdm engine into a foz?

Thinking of starting up a project..researching the information now. Engine would be an Ej207 and the body would be an 04 or 05 Forester.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
Re: Foz207
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 09:00:41 pm »
I'm sure people have, but the biggest consideration (with at least a FXT) is that it has the EJ257. Why remove the 2.5L STi motor if you don't have to? As for swapping it into a non-turbo, you can. And I haven't seen too many blown up FXTs.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline SubieRoo

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 09:43:36 pm »
I've gotten into an impreza with a swapped 207. I do like the idea of having more room in the vehicle and love the look of the foz.. so the potential plan is:

1. Buy the foz
2. Do necessary body work. Have it sprayed. Remove old engine and wiring harness.
3. Sell off extra parts
4. Swap over engine, drive train, ecu and harness from my impreza
5. Part out the body

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 09:49:02 pm »
That'd work.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline nosale

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: SG XTi
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 10:30:56 am »
Is your impreza JDM? If not, then the swap should be fairly straight forward because all the harness work should already be done. Some things to consider would be

1) If the foz is auto, swapping a manual transmissio into it is a bit more complicated, so it may be easier to looks for a manual foz. I know this because I have an auto forester and have looked into putting a 6spd into it.

2) are you planning on getting an XT? The 04+ can command a bit of a premium. If you get the XS, it will have most of the comforts of the XT (leather interior, giant moon roof, heated seats etc...) and will be significantly cheaper. I don't know for sure, but I think you may have to find a turbo crossmember, and the rest should be easy.

3) I'm with LDS. I'd consider swapping an ej257 into the car instead. Sell your ej207 swapped impreza and use that money towards the foz. This will probably depend on which ej207 you have. Is it a version 7+ (does it have AVCS?). If it's a v5/6 I don't think it's worth it.

4) you can check out my build thread. I just rebuilt an ej257 and dropped it into my forester. It may help... Although it is pretty engine heavy at the moment.

Hope there is some helpful info in there :)

Offline SubieRoo

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 12:32:47 pm »
LHD Impreza swapped in with a JDM EJ207. Likely looking at swapping over the motor, full drivetrain etc to a LHD manual Foz.

In response to you..

1. I will get a manual Foz just to eliminate some of that headache.

2. Whatever get's me a decent price. I'll be moving over the front STi seats to the Foz and having the back reupholstered to match the front - it lets me keep the fold down function etc. - will the turbo crossmember from the Impreza that has the 207 currently work in there?

3. The biggest benefit to swapping over the EJ207 is that I have a great daily that works right now. I'll get the body and everything else ready on the Foz, and when it's time swap it in. It is the Version 7 with fully forged internals.

4. Thank you - I will check out your build thread! Are you in Edmonton? I'd love to get a ride a long some time if you're game.

Offline nosale

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 01:58:08 pm »
LHD Impreza swapped in with a JDM EJ207. Likely looking at swapping over the motor, full drivetrain etc to a LHD manual Foz.

In response to you..

1. I will get a manual Foz just to eliminate some of that headache.

2. Whatever get's me a decent price. I'll be moving over the front STi seats to the Foz and having the back reupholstered to match the front - it lets me keep the fold down function etc. - will the turbo crossmember from the Impreza that has the 207 currently work in there?

3. The biggest benefit to swapping over the EJ207 is that I have a great daily that works right now. I'll get the body and everything else ready on the Foz, and when it's time swap it in. It is the Version 7 with fully forged internals.

4. Thank you - I will check out your build thread! Are you in Edmonton? I'd love to get a ride a long some time if you're game.
Sounds like you have most of the information that you'll need then. It'll definitely be easier since you already have an extended harness in your impreza.

I'm not 100% on the crossmember. I think the GD frame is the same across all platforms, but don't quote me on that one. My foz is an XT, so I didn't have to worry about it.

Yeah, the v7 ej207 is definitely a nice engine, and worth keeping. I'm just a fan of the extra displacement. It's better to spool up bigger turbos. I have a 20g in mine, so any extra exhaust gas is helpful :)

I'd be interested in watching your build thread if you make one. I'm going to be going through some interior stuff, brake/control arm upgrades etc and it would be neat to work on it with somebody else to compare notes.

I am in Calgary, but if you're ever down here shoot me a message and I'll do the same when I venture up North.

Offline nosale

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 05:04:53 pm »
Just an FYI, in case you missed the post, Rachel down here in Calgary is doing a pretty extensive FXT build with a 6spd sti transmission in it. Apparently the FXT crossmember and STi crossmemebers are different... so you will likely have to pull the crossmember out of your impreza to make things work. Check out her latest post:

http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=52842.msg655839#msg655839

Offline SpdDmn

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: MY08 SG9 FXT
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 10:44:23 am »
Just an FYI, in case you missed the post, Rachel down here in Calgary is doing a pretty extensive FXT build with a 6spd sti transmission in it. Apparently the FXT crossmember and STi crossmemebers are different... so you will likely have to pull the crossmember out of your impreza to make things work. Check out her latest post:

http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=52842.msg655839#msg655839

;D

I fixed my link to the original info on sf.org, which hopefully you're also on - so much good info!
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f89/6-speed-swap-cross-member-notes-pics-73266/

Definitely seems easiest to swap e.ver.y.thing from your donor, with regards to the 6MT swap - but if it's 5MT to 5MT, it might not be necessary. Although even if it's not necessary, it might still be an upgrade over stock FXT.

Is your Impreza v7 itself (bugeye), or just the EJ207 is? If you're swapping GC stuff into a GD chassis, things won't be as plug&play as GD STI to FXT. The SG FXTs borrowed a lot from the GD lego bucket!
Rachel M.
2008 WRB Forester XT Sports Ltd  [Build
2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
2007 OBP Forester XT [Journal] [RIP]  |  2002 Aspen White WRX  [ST2 167] [RIP]
2006 Kawasaki EX250 [Sold]  |  2007 Honda CBR600 RR [Sold]  |  2015 KTM RC390

Offline WAGOWN

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: Ver. 7 STi Sport Wagon
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 11:05:09 am »
IIRC his Impreza is a Blobeye with a 207 swap, so I'd assume it's 'Ver 7' (Bugeye) or later.
02 WRX, 97 OBS, 03 WRX, 98 OBS, 97 JDM Leg, 97 s/tb, 03 OBS, JDM V7 STi Wagon

Offline SubieRoo

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 11:22:58 am »
Killer! Thank you for linking me to that thread. Looks like this is going to be a bit longer of a process than I had originally wanted, but with all good things.. it's expected :) The original Forester I was going to pick up was already picked up - though it wasn't running.

It is a blobeye with a EJ207 V7 swap from a JDM bugeye.

With the swap.. step one will be picking up the forester and completing body work. This in itself may be a few months away. In the mean time I'm going to be tending to the EJ207 in the blob as is - new clutch, and refining the tune as well.

This is my inspiration..

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 10:52:08 am »

Offline SubieRoo

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 02:01:47 pm »
^--- My wife called it ugly.

I told her they were designed to be ugly..

This is going to happen though. My clutch is in dire need of replacement in the Rex which will give me a good idea of a bit of the process at least.. as will tearing out the motor and all related aspects from the Fox too.

Offline nosale

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 02:20:07 pm »

This is going to happen though. My clutch is in dire need of replacement in the Rex which will give me a good idea of a bit of the process at least.. as will tearing out the motor and all related aspects from the Fox too.
Haha! They will never understand us and our very questionable taste in vehicles.

Although... the wife does like my foz loads more than my GF8.

Offline SpdDmn

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: MY08 SG9 FXT
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2017, 03:25:35 pm »

Pretty much that just means you should pull the trigger on a 6mt right away ;) Who wants to drop the tranny twice?!

Haha! They will never understand us and our very questionable taste in vehicles.

Although... the wife does like my foz loads more than my GF8.

I really loved our GF8, it might arguably be a "prettier" car... I have a soft spot for all wagons, I guess!
Rachel M.
2008 WRB Forester XT Sports Ltd  [Build
2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
2007 OBP Forester XT [Journal] [RIP]  |  2002 Aspen White WRX  [ST2 167] [RIP]
2006 Kawasaki EX250 [Sold]  |  2007 Honda CBR600 RR [Sold]  |  2015 KTM RC390

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2017, 04:45:07 pm »

My gf actually digs them. If I can find a lower mileage manual XT in the spring, I'll be getting one. Otherwise, it'll likely be a 2011+ WRX hatch. It's tough to swallow when an 07 XT is more money than a 11+ WRX hatch that has less mileage.

Offline SubieRoo

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2017, 05:21:29 pm »
^--- very true. And I already have the 6Mt from a V7 Sti. Just need a clutch for the damn thing.

Offline SubieRoo

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2017, 09:18:35 pm »
Well. This may very well be becoming a reality in the next few weeks..