Author Topic: Project CORAL! - Off to a new start.....  (Read 20157 times)

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2008 spec.B
Re: Project CORAL! - Oh yea, I still have this thing....
« Reply #275 on: June 04, 2019, 08:03:09 am »
That roof spoiler actually looks pretty cool but you'd need more bosozoku style zaniness to go with it.

tasteful tips, doubles,
4' polished, slash cut

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018 WRX
« Reply #276 on: June 04, 2019, 03:10:06 pm »
That roof spoiler actually looks pretty cool but you'd need more bosozoku style zaniness to go with it.

tasteful tips, doubles,
4' polished, slash cut

Way ahead of you....

Kidding! I'd go something more simple.....

I think I'd go like what Gabe described, old Trust DD style tips. Nice and simple and clean

Made a bit of an investment the other day that should make work going forward much easier. I bought a used but in really good condition Lincoln Mig-Pak welder that should allow me to dial the settings I need to do proper welding of the sheet metal without worrying about burning through. My old Mastercraft welder was good for thicker stuff, but had limited options in terms of settings, so this should make a big difference and help speed things up. Going to finish fabbing up the seat brackets for the passenger seat tonight once I get the welder all set up.

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2008 spec.B
« Reply #277 on: June 04, 2019, 03:20:20 pm »

I think I'd go like what Gabe described, old Trust DD style tips. Nice and simple and clean

holy itshay that's exactly what I pictured. Dude, can you read my thoughts if I'm within a 5 km radius?

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
Re: Project CORAL! - A turn of events....and steering wheel.
« Reply #278 on: April 16, 2020, 12:02:59 am »
It's been awhile since I posted anything about this project...mainly because I haven't had anything to post though. For awhile, it was looking like I was going to have to sell Coral. My wife and I have been talking about packing up and moving back to Ontario at somepoint this year, mainly to be closer to our families, and as such, one of the casualties was going to be loosing Coral. It was going to be too expensive to bring it back or ship it, and even when we got back to Ontario, we'd have to find a place to keep it parked to work on it.

But, in an interesting turn of events, it looks like we can bring it along with us when/if we move. We did some looking into shipping options for our stuff and renting a truck and a full trailer is only going to be about $200 more than getting a moving pod, so looks like Coral is going to be coming along.

Which means, I can keep working on her and get it rolling/on the road sooner than later.

I have been doing some work on it behind the scenes for awhile. I cleaned up all of the suspension components, installed the drivers side suspension, and started picking away at the 4AGE again, this was all in the idea I was going to be selling everything, so I could get top dollar for everything. I finally got around to removing the broken oil pump bolt from the block. Ended up welding a ton of material to the broken bolt and used a set of vice grips to spin the bolt out.

Also cleaned up a bunch of hardware and brackets. One thing I really wanted to do was clean the valve covers up to make them look nicer. I hot tanked them and sandblasted them at work. Then I sprayed them black, masked the letters off, then sprayed them gunmetal.

Turned out pretty good.

In doing this, I have about 2 hours worth of work on the front end again to get the suspension back together and put the front end back on the ground. I also sold some stuff along the way, including my Personal steering wheel. BUT, in selling it, I managed to make a bit of an upgrade. I found a really rare 1994 built Momo 5Zigen N1R steering wheel for essentially the same price as what I sold my Personal wheel for. The interesting thing about the wheel is that it's a D-shaped wheel, which I haven't ever seen before and am looking for more info on it.

The interior looks really good now, the steering wheel fits perfectly and actually gives me more room thanks to the flat bottom.

I'm really looking forward to getting this thing back on the road sometime soon, and I'm really glad we found a way to keep it in the family.

Keep an eye out here for more updates shortly....

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #279 on: April 16, 2020, 08:35:47 am »
That interior looks great. Would hate to watch you go back, but I get it.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline JJx

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: sti swapped/fxt
« Reply #280 on: April 16, 2020, 12:41:15 pm »
That's a pretty valve cover.

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
Re: Project CORAL! - Off to a new start.....
« Reply #281 on: May 08, 2020, 03:54:36 pm »
Bye Coral......

As some of you who have me on social media may have seen, I decided to sell Coral earlier this week. I was flip flopping on the idea for awhile, but I decided it was for the best. I don't have the time or the money to be investing in her going forward, and the cost involved to bring it back to Ontario when the time comes was going to be too much. So I put a feeler ad out on Dori Kaze (old school Toyota group), and had a guy contact me wanting to buy her, with all of the parts. He had been trying to buy a wagon for 2+ years and kept having deals fall through or people backing out on him, so he was super excited to see Coral be available. We worked out an agreement and price and a deposit was sent.

He ended up picking it up on Wednesday morning and by Thursday afternoon was already out driving her..lol. He's got some big plans for it in the next year, so shes not dead, but just getting the life I couldn't have given her. I'll keep the thread unlocked with updates on the car as he gives me them. So far he's swapped out the wheels on the front for a set of 13" Hyashi Command wheels, which is pretty damn cool. He's planning on using it as a cruiser for the rest of the year, then do a full once over on the car in the fall.

Sad to see her go, but along with good byes come hellos....*see my next vehicle post....*

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
Re: Project CORAL! - Off to a new start.....
« Reply #282 on: May 08, 2020, 03:59:28 pm »
Ah, that's a shame, but you did save that car.