Author Topic: Broken Bolts  (Read 1478 times)

Offline Spaghetti

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 1994 GF8 wrx
Broken Bolts
« on: March 09, 2017, 03:36:41 pm »
So my valve cover gaskets were leaking oil and it had recently gotten worse, so I decided to stop putting it off and replace them. All was going well, and I was putting the new gaskets in and the covers back on. Anyway, I had ran out of time and had left my car in the shop (It is in my school) and was planning on going back after school to tighten the bolts and finish up.

I go back to the shop after class and discover that someone decide to finish my project and "helping me out" they snapped off the center bolt on each side, leaving half of it inside the head.

How can i get these out? It is a very tight space and i do not have an angle drill i can use. Any ideas?

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1999 Pajero, 1999 Evo VI, 1995 Evo III
Re: Broken Bolts
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 08:21:35 pm »
Probably won't have enough space but I had luck with a welder in the aluminum head of my 4G63 when I broke off an exhaust manifold stud.

Weld up a bead onto the broken stud, do it a little bit at a time, like 2-3 seconds of welding in a slow circle, tap it with a hammer or something (again, very tight space) and let it cool. Do the same thing over and over until you have a bead large enough to weld a washer on. Weld the washer in the same fashion, and make sure to completely fill the hole of the washer with weld. Now, weld a nut onto that washer and you should be able to get it out.

Old mechanic taught me this trick and he told me to just jeep trying, doesn't matter if you have to do it 10 times, just keep trying and eventually it will come out.

I had to do it 6 times, and I got better at welding the washers on / found better combinations of washer / nuts to use each time.

3 stages of removal

Pretty new fasteners
The 3 is raw.  Lighter than more agile.  The 6 probably feels like a 747.  And by that contrast, my STI probably feels like the Hindenburg.  So GR's are like the International Space Station.

Offline lophilip

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 04:58:07 pm »
a bolt or screw extractor.

undo the engine mounts (plus pitch mount) and jack up the engine to try to get some clearance. Worst case scenario is the remove the engine.

Offline Spaghetti

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 1994 GF8 wrx
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 11:16:21 am »
So I've tried about everything possible, and I don't have the tools or skills to weld properly. However, I had someone recommended getting jb weld, attaching an Allen key and twisting out the broken bolt since it is not bottomed out or tightened fully. Is this worth a shot? Thoughts on it in general?

Offline Mendozer

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 12:29:22 pm »
it is not bottomed out or tightened fully.
How did "your helper" break them than?  seems like either of those options would have had to happen no?  Either way, I don't have a solution for you.  I've used that bolt extractor before (with space) and it works awesome, but without the room...it can be tricky!

Good luck.

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 07:49:28 pm »
If they are loose inside, sometimes you can just spin them out with something like a dental pick.
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline lophilip

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 12:13:20 am »
So I've tried about everything possible, and I don't have the tools or skills to weld properly. However, I had someone recommended getting jb weld, attaching an Allen key and twisting out the broken bolt since it is not bottomed out or tightened fully. Is this worth a shot? Thoughts on it in general?

You're still in high school? I'm pretty sure your shop teacher will lend you a bolt extractor.