Author Topic: Issue with HID lights  (Read 1691 times)

Offline aaronck

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 05 Leggy Wagon
Issue with HID lights
« on: March 06, 2017, 03:32:49 pm »
My 2007 Fozzy eats a set of lights a year or so- I ordered from Absolute HID (d2S bulbs)  Is it the bulbs or an issue with the wiring?
I leave the lights in the on position all the time, so I'm not running less wattage daytime running lights- is this normal?   Am I better off buying a brand name (Philips?)
any suggestion is welcome, tired of switching the lights out on a yearly basis!

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
Re: Issue with HID lights
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 03:33:53 pm »
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline thedude

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2002 Toyota Tundra
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 03:37:51 pm »
Maybe give the Morimoto bulbs a shot?

+1 for Morimoto. I've been running mine for a year and a half without any issues *knock on wood*
2008 Aprilia Shiver 750 - Sold 10/02/2017
2013 SWP Subaru WRX Hatchback - Sold 01/04/2022

thedude's 2013 WRX Build Thread

Offline aaronck

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 04:02:34 pm »
Thanks, I was checking on another forum, are these the factory lights or have them been upgraded?  I['m not worried about brightness, just tired of changing them out every year.

Offline thedude

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 04:06:42 pm »
Thanks, I was checking on another forum, are these the factory lights or have them been upgraded?  I['m not worried about brightness, just tired of changing them out every year.

They are not factory, and you can choose what level of "brightness" you prefer, but I find them to be a very solid product.

Offline Jay89

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 WRX airboy tuned, 2017 Lexus IS350
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 05:45:09 pm »
I have very good experiences with osram bulbs. I used them in both my cars with no issues what so ever. Recently swapped the ones in the wrx for morimotos just because I felt like it. Haven't had a chance to actually drive the car with them yet so I can't say about how they look but construction wise, they look very solid. Similar to the osrams.

Some of the cheaper Flosser don't have the 4 grounding straps...or what I think are grounding straps....idk for sure...either way they look cheap lol. I've heard nothing but good things about morimotos

341awhp ~330awtq
Project Car

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Not contributing to WSC since 2008
  • Ride: 2015 VW tree-killer, 1990 Mazda hairdresser
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 07:29:22 pm »
Osram CBI. Best bulbs you can buy.
Quote from: mudferret
Ambystom01 shows the funny picture whom is thine boss.

Offline thedude

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 08:21:18 pm »
I leave the lights in the on position all the time, so I'm not running less wattage daytime running lights- is this normal?

Just re-read this opening statement, depending how much you drive and turn on/off your car could play some role in why you are burning through them so quickly. I'm not 100% sure about this so somebody please chime in.

Offline aaronck

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 09:39:01 am »
I don't drive that much, maybe 25k per year at most-I'm going to grab some Morimoto lights and see if they last longer- thanks for the replies!

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 03:28:01 pm »
When I had HIDs in my WRX I blew out a bulb prematurely (< 1 month) by leaving headlights on when I turned the car off.

There's a lot of other variables to be sure, but at the time I decided it was likely due to the fact that if you turn the headlights on, it bypasses the DRLs.

Since the DRLs only light when the handbrake is down, starting the car with the handbrake engaged and the headlights on makes the headlights flicker to life a few times as the starter pulls power during the start attempt. HID bulbs/igniters in particular seem to hate that rapid duty cycle.

It's probably not incredibly great for regular bulbs to do that either, but no longer doing that made the other bulb and its replacement last until I pulled the HID setup. Admittedly, the PO of my car had disabled the DRLs to start with, which is probably related to this phenomenon.

I'd try turning the headlights off when you're turning the car on and see if it makes a difference.

Offline RedBimmer93

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Legacy Spec B, and Two Mopar gas guzzlers
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 07:42:07 pm »
When I had HIDs in my WRX I blew out a bulb prematurely (< 1 month) by leaving headlights on when I turned the car off.

There's a lot of other variables to be sure, but at the time I decided it was likely due to the fact that if you turn the headlights on, it bypasses the DRLs.

Since the DRLs only light when the handbrake is down, starting the car with the handbrake engaged and the headlights on makes the headlights flicker to life a few times as the starter pulls power during the start attempt. HID bulbs/igniters in particular seem to hate that rapid duty cycle.

It's probably not incredibly great for regular bulbs to do that either, but no longer doing that made the other bulb and its replacement last until I pulled the HID setup. Admittedly, the PO of my car had disabled the DRLs to start with, which is probably related to this phenomenon.

I'd try turning the headlights off when you're turning the car on and see if it makes a difference.

^^ This. something about voltage spikes, or some itshay that the bulbs and/or ballasts dont like ::)