Author Topic: Alberta Campgrounds  (Read 1630 times)

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Honda CR-V
Alberta Campgrounds
« on: June 28, 2016, 01:04:01 pm »
So for the past 10 or so years I have always gone camping at Slave Lake for a couple of reasons; I grew up camping there, it was familiar, great fishing and not too far away. But in the recent years they have become a lot more strict to the point where you can't even sip a beer on the beach without being harassed. Also, it is a very family oriented campground so for the respect of all the families with young children I would rather not go with a bunch of friends.

What I am looking for is a campground that has a younger crowd so we don't have to worry as much about drinking beers on the beach and maybe being a little louder than normal.

Also, would be great if there was still good fishing and within a couple hours of Edmonton.

Most people would recommend just going to some crown land but the problem with that is there is no one else there so you'll be stuck with just the few people you go with and won't meet/hang out or party with any others.

Offline wrxsti15

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: STI'15 - Airboy Tuned
Re: Alberta Campgrounds
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 01:13:40 pm »
Not really a campground, but I went 2 years ago to Entwistle - Pembina River.. It was lots of fun...

Floats and lots of beer... going down the river for about 2h if I remember correctly ... only on the end water wash out bug spray... so I got bitten like 1000 times (mosquito's)...
next time if I go... Bug spray is going with me as well, not leaving it in a car...  :D

Offline Hound

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 DGM BMW wannabe.
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 10:41:57 pm »
Brewers at aspen beach.  Lake view is the family portion but Brewers is the party section.

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1998 Version 5 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R V-Limited
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 11:31:34 pm »
Have any of you been out to any of the national campground sites on long weekends? I have a few sites booked for the upcoming labour day weekend, and there are liquor bans in place for the entire weekend. This isn't a huge deal for me, and my group isn't rowdy by any means, but I am curious if any of you know how strict these bans are. I wouldnt mind having a few brews around the fire if possible.

If the ban is anything like the "quiet hours", or "no drinking past 11pm", like it is in Jasper, then i'm sure things are pretty relaxed. I know Banff is way more strict with this policy versus Jasper though, and I couldn't even have a fire past 11 pm there - hence why I don't usually camp there anymore.

Offline AdrenalineXI

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ryan
  • Ride: 98 OBS
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 09:18:32 am »
Have any of you been out to any of the national campground sites on long weekends? I have a few sites booked for the upcoming labour day weekend, and there are liquor bans in place for the entire weekend. This isn't a huge deal for me, and my group isn't rowdy by any means, but I am curious if any of you know how strict these bans are. I wouldnt mind having a few brews around the fire if possible.

If the ban is anything like the "quiet hours", or "no drinking past 11pm", like it is in Jasper, then i'm sure things are pretty relaxed. I know Banff is way more strict with this policy versus Jasper though, and I couldn't even have a fire past 11 pm there - hence why I don't usually camp there anymore.
If I had to guess it's in place to give them more power to shut down the rowdy campsites. Keep it discrete, pour your beers in mugs and don't be loud.

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1998 Version 5 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R V-Limited
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 09:21:30 am »
Yeaah, that's the plan. Just curious if anyone has experienced these full on bans outright.

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 02:48:26 pm »
Also looking for family friendly (as in minimal drinking and rowdyness) to take my 2yo out camping somewhere..

THinking the provincial campgrounds like Elk Island would be good.
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 09:06:34 pm »
Head west out towards/past Rocky Mountain House and Nordegg. Lot's of good options out that way! Several provincial park campgrounds that offer family friendly service and fun. Crimson Lake and Fish Lake campgrounds are great and there are lots of smaller campgrounds to choose from too.

We've had our 8 month old camping a couple times now, he actually seems to love it, being outside, getting dirty and enjoying the fresh air.
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline AdrenalineXI

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ryan
  • Ride: 98 OBS
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 08:25:54 am »
Also looking for family friendly (as in minimal drinking and rowdyness) to take my 2yo out camping somewhere..

THinking the provincial campgrounds like Elk Island would be good.
I just recently went to Vermillion with our kids. It has a spray park, but fairly open sites. You'll need a national park pass for elk island this year, but next year it's free.

Offline WAGOWN

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: Ver. 7 STi Sport Wagon
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 10:25:51 am »
What THE EDJ said. Wife and I just spent a week at Fish Lake and it was awesome! There are also tons more out that way. Unfortunately our old facourite, Ram Falls, sucks now. Condervation officers run it now. No upkeep, no firewood.

My suggestion is get the backroad mapnook they have a little breakdown on every campground.
02 WRX, 97 OBS, 03 WRX, 98 OBS, 97 JDM Leg, 97 s/tb, 03 OBS, JDM V7 STi Wagon