Author Topic: Minor issue after 4AT Tranny swap on a 1998 BH5 legacy  (Read 1080 times)

Offline gc8guy

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: legacy
Minor issue after 4AT Tranny swap on a 1998 BH5 legacy
« on: May 07, 2017, 01:58:29 pm »
Car: 1998 Subaru Legacy 4AT BH5 GTV Twin turbo with a tranny problem that I had for over 50k that VERY slowly got worse (50k)

Problem I had: when I would go from park to drive I couldn't go forward until I would build pressure (rev the engine to 3-4000 rpm) and eventually it got worse by popping out of gear when I was coming to a standstill (red light/ stop sign only occasionally and randomly and turning left /right at certain speeds). This was diagnosed as having a failing "forward clutch" in an automatic transmission.

Donar car: 2000 Legacy BH5 E-tune with automatic tranny.

I drove the donar car about 200km before taking out the tranny to be put into my daily driver (the 1998 Legacy GTV) and I didn't notice any problems with it.

I checked both diffs and they both seem to be the same (both either 4.11 or 4.44)

Problem I'm having after the swap:

While decelerating( if I just let go off gas ) it feels like something is slowing it down and it feels like the problem is in the back of the car (almost like both rear calipers are half seized in the back of the car). As the car comes closer to a standstill (50km/h-0) I start to hear slight binding noise (similar to unevenly worn tires or a failing wheel bearing that is coming form the back of the car) Also, when the car gears down you can sometimes hear the click in the tranny and feel it in the car. Feels like I'm towing a overloaded trailer in a dodge diesel truck....

Things we have done during the swap:
5L of subaru ATF fluid.
Rear diff fluid Motul PA90
Front diff fluid level is good.

I don't have ANY problems while accelerating

I didn't have these issues with the old failing tranny

Does anyone know if the BH5 legacies have a separate ECU for the transmission or if it's part of the main ECU ?

If it's separate from the main ECU does any one know where it's located on the car?

It's possible that the GTV automatic tranny ECU is different than the E-tune tranny ecu.

There is a learning mode for the tranny on some modern cars, does anyone know if this is necessary for older subarus ?

Offline gc8guy

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: legacy
Re: Minor issue after 4AT Tranny swap on a 1998 BH5 legacy
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 01:32:25 pm »
Update: looking for a E tune automatic tranny ECU (TCU)

Didn't cross my mind to keep it when I was breaking the friggin car :(

Edit:

TCU is culprit 100%, I just tried a TCU from a non etune (GTB BH5 limited) and the dragging is completely gone.