Author Topic: Yakims vs Thule roof racks? Yak CoreBar vs JetStream?  (Read 1887 times)

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
Yakims vs Thule roof racks? Yak CoreBar vs JetStream?
« on: June 26, 2017, 10:50:48 am »
Hey all,

I’m looking for a new roof rack setup as the old one from my Subaru doesn’t fit my Infiniti. I’m looking at Yakima and Thule, I’m open to other brands if they make a quality product. I am partial to Yakima as that’s what I had before and what most of my attachments are, but I’m not married to them by any means.

I’d be looking at Yakima’s new Timberline tower, which looks pretty slick. My car has side rails but no cross bars. Thule would be the AeroBlade Edge, which also looks pretty slick as the tower and bar appear to be integrated.

The Yakima would be cheaper at $420 ($250 for towers and $170 for core bars), as I should be able to reuse the SKS lock cores I already have. https://www.yakima.com/ca/timberline-towers-4-pack
The Thule AeroBlade is $560, so decent amount more. But at the end of the day, I plan on keeping this vehicle a while so a bit extra initially is no biggie. https://www.thule.com/en-us/ca/roof-rack/car-racks/thule-aeroblade-edge-7502-_-7502a

Anyone here using, or have experience with these? If I go the Yakima rack, I’m also wondering if anyone has experience between their core bars, or the Jetstream bars. The noise generated from my old round bars was kind of annoying. Both of these designs seem to be an improvement, but I can’t find much for comparisons online.

Thanks!

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
Re: Yakims vs Thule roof racks? Yak CoreBar vs JetStream?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 10:12:50 pm »
I've got the more "generic" Thule cross bars on my Explorer, mostly because I wanted them as wide as possible and they are also a little cheaper. I think it's ARB60 and Rapid Crossroad feet. I got mine from www.partsengine.ca. Fair bit cheaper than retail and shipping was free. Also Canadian so no duties, etc.
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 09:14:37 am »
That site seems odd to use. Looks like it just pulls up other sites? Unless I'm using it wrong lol.

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 09:37:11 am »
That site seems odd to use. Looks like it just pulls up other sites? Unless I'm using it wrong lol.

Should have been .ca, fixed the link, try it again :)
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 12:55:13 pm »
Should have been .ca, fixed the link, try it again :)

Ah, that makes more sense now lol. Looks like they don't have any of the options that would work with my car though, thanks for the site though!

edit: Looks like they have the Thule one, but it's the same price as in town  :(