Author Topic: tperkins' Evo 3, 6, 7 (and 5 RIP) (and Starion RIP)  (Read 33255 times)

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1999 Pajero, 1999 Evo VI, 1995 Evo III
Re: tperkins' Evo 6 (and 5)
« Reply #100 on: June 13, 2019, 12:09:05 pm »
Gang gang.

Washed it yesterday, I have a really hard time wanting to put this car under the knife and have downtime from driving, since it is just so great. People laugh at my accumulating spare engines, transmissions, transfer cases but the days are coming when they get very hard to find and I legitimately want to keep this car forever.

Also, I realized that we agree that a GC Subaru is the best looking Subaru.

And, now we know that you enjoy a black evo 4-5-6 above a GC Subaru.

Therefore, you enjoy a black evo 4-5-6 more than any Subaru. *gasp*

Can't believe this didn't get any response, I for one was shocked.
The 3 is raw.  Lighter than more agile.  The 6 probably feels like a 747.  And by that contrast, my STI probably feels like the Hindenburg.  So GR's are like the International Space Station.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #101 on: June 13, 2019, 03:24:43 pm »
I didn't want to get flagged for hate speech.
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #102 on: June 13, 2019, 09:02:09 pm »
I didn't want to get flagged for hate speech.

They send you a warning.
The 3 is raw.  Lighter than more agile.  The 6 probably feels like a 747.  And by that contrast, my STI probably feels like the Hindenburg.  So GR's are like the International Space Station.

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2008 spec.B
« Reply #103 on: June 14, 2019, 12:02:49 am »
They send you a warning.

LOL oh man this never gets old

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #104 on: June 19, 2019, 10:59:36 am »
Bonus updated GN pics

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #105 on: June 19, 2019, 11:23:19 am »
If your car was the same colour as the Buick, it'd be perfect.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #106 on: June 19, 2019, 11:25:13 am »
Finally getting around to things on the 5, parts pile is secured, I don't think I need anything else for assembly.

As the engine bay had an engine explode in it, then it had the dipstick of the new engine pop out a couple times, it was filthy and not a fit home for the new engine.
I didn't get any pictures of the before as i was just embarrassed at how gross it was

Partways through cleaning

Hood before, see grossness

Some nice tin snips clearance that I found, with the 4g64 this car had, it also had a rotated turbo and honda civic half rad, as well as some beefcake intercooler. I am not sure for which of those this clearance was done for. The cuts also were left unpainted lol.

This side looks like it was done with a an actual cutting wheel but the other side was full on tin snips.

After, clean bay, fixed hood insulation. I borrowed a pressure washer from my friend, pressure washed everything, then used superclean and this little electric dishwasher brush you can see in the tin snips thing. Honestly looks like fresh paint IRL afterwards.

Fixed nice tin snips

Reposted picture, but I similarly didn't have pictures of the before of the engine because I was also embarrassed how dirty it was. Reminder that this engine was pulled from a running evo 6, compression tested well across the board, healthy running engine.

I didn't get many pictures of the process, but here is after cleaning, sanding and painting block, etc

Cleaned and painted spark plug cover

I had the old exhaust manifold covers from the 6 that were in a lot better shape, I cleaned them and painted them

I also cleaned the trans and t case with a tooth brush, and just wasn't happy with the finish of the cases anymore, so I painted those as well (great masking job).I went to Canadian Auto Paint Supply and they actually had paint for exactly this purpose.

Time for timing kit, water pump, etc.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #107 on: June 20, 2019, 10:51:27 am »
Hooray, timed things, new water pumping things. Those keen observers will notice that the oil pump sprocket isn't lined up in this, but this was after timing was set, engine was turned over a heap of times to verify timing.

I also had noticed the timing cover warped, the plan was to put it back in place with some cardboard spacer behind it and between the cam gears and the cover,

The plan failed

New timing belt, balance shaft belt, all pulleys, hydraulic tensioner, water pump, valve cover gasket set, accessory belt (car had AC removed, would be a real pain to put it back)

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
« Reply #108 on: June 20, 2019, 11:01:43 am »
Is there any reason you didn't remove the balance shafts? I am just thinking back to my DSM days (4G63) and it was pretty common to remove them.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #109 on: June 20, 2019, 11:54:55 am »
Is there any reason you didn't remove the balance shafts? I am just thinking back to my DSM days (4G63) and it was pretty common to remove them.

I am part of the club that trusts Mitsubishi engineers over keyboard warriors. I really don't see the value in removing it is all, just didn't put much thought into it to be honest haha.

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #110 on: June 20, 2019, 12:00:12 pm »
Ya it was just a question. I was just under the impression that when you remove it there is less moving parts for something to fail and freeing like 1-2hp on drag for a tradeoff of more noise.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #111 on: June 20, 2019, 07:16:26 pm »
Ya it was just a question. I was just under the impression that when you remove it there is less moving parts for something to fail and freeing like 1-2hp on drag for a tradeoff of more noise.

Sorry, I didn't mean you were keyboard warrior or to sound like a dink haha. I mean people in the DSM / evo community on both sides of that debate.

I think the trade off is the possibility of the balance shaft belt snapping and taking out the timing belt. But, when I get the car running I am just going to upload the evo 7 ralliart tune, dial the boost to 18lbs and call it a day. In my head, mitsubishi engineers likely put it in there for some good reason, every part they have to include and machine costs them money, so be it trading some parasitic loss that the butt dyno wouldn't even be calibrated for in exchange for vibration / engine longevity I just decided to leave it! I really didn't think of it too much haha

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #112 on: June 21, 2019, 08:22:00 am »
Excellent points and I agree.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #113 on: June 21, 2019, 10:52:56 am »
Evo fam had a brand new evo 8 upper timing cover sitting on his project engine, so I bought that. These things warping must have been an issue, the old one is just a flat bit of plastic on the back, newer one has actual structure back there.

Broke this silly stud, I was lacking a bunch of tools so I brought it to local machine shop, was quoted 96-198$ to remove it, so I went to my evo friend's house and borrowed some tools. Ended up having to drill it all the way out, after easy outs gave up just waffled it inwards with a pick and hammer.

Of course was offended at the dirtyness off all the hotside components so cleaned up the castings and painted them with the same flameproof I used on the 6, seemed to work pretty well on the 6. Cleaned up the casting marks inside this manifold and opened it up a little as well.

Between coats sanded this biz

Brand new studs (other than that top left one, on the way out that one broke two of these aluminum stud extractors I was using... it came out 3/4 of a turn and then just stopped dead. Upon removal I was probably putting 60-70 ft-lbs into it trying to remove before it would bust the aluminum stud extractor, so it is plenty strong. Learning my lesson from last time I just decided to leave it as the fastener is still in good enough shape, all though that isn't ideal. When I torqued it down it worked out just fine.)

Most of the biz re-assembled

When I bought the evo 7 ECU, the seller asked what I needed it for, told him about the project and the engine and blah blah. Anyways, when he shipped the 7 ECU he also included a much nicer crank pulley (see engine), an intake manifold spacer (not gonna use), like a 1000 km old o2 sensor, a brand new ball joint, a used but good fuel pressure regulator, and a brand new wastegate actuator.

Unfortunately, this wastegate actuator seems to be from an evo 9 turbo.. so the arm is too long. Gonna make it work somehow today and bolt the engine back together so it is ready to drop in. Next step is to remove the hacked evo 5 harness (thanks tuning shops) and put in the almost unmolested 6 wiring loom (with sweet HKS SPEED DEFENCER). Once that is done then just have to remove engine from stand, bolt up trans and new clutch kit, then bolt in engine. Plug in the things, blah blah blah.

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
« Reply #114 on: June 21, 2019, 10:57:13 am »
No clear timing cover for your greddy timing belt and hks adjustable timing gears?

For that actuator rod you might be able to throw a die on it and cut the threads a bit further back as it looks like you're not too far off.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #115 on: June 21, 2019, 11:09:29 am »
No clear timing cover for your greddy timing belt and hks adjustable timing gears?

For that actuator rod you might be able to throw a die on it and cut the threads a bit further back as it looks like you're not too far off.

For setting the pre-load, you should do half spins until it can just slide on, then 3 full spins (count 6 faces). So, even though it is just about to slide on I am 3 full turns from that point too long as well.

The way this arm is set up there isn't much material to thread unfortunately. That was my first hopes as well. I think if I drill a new lower hole in the bracket it will work though!

Haha, clear cover to show off my gates belt and stock cam gears! Almost as cool as when people just drive around with no cover at all!

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #116 on: June 21, 2019, 03:39:44 pm »
It's going to be a racecar, not a showcar, right?  Really nice work all around though.  Keep up with the updates!

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #117 on: June 21, 2019, 05:17:09 pm »
It's going to be a racecar, not a showcar, right?  Really nice work all around though.  Keep up with the updates!

"Not every show car is a race car but every race car is a show car"

I just really have a hard time with doing things not as well as I can, but who knows where this car will go at this point haha. I just want it to look nice.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #118 on: June 21, 2019, 11:50:31 pm »

Hole seemed to have worked!

Decided to paint the spark plug cover

Cleaned up the harness

JDM AF

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #119 on: June 25, 2019, 10:08:44 am »
Turns out I had a couple of pictures of before engine

And I was busy this weekend so didn't get anything done, last night when the rain stopped I went and cleaned up the headlights.They had this weird, maybe clear coat, maybe 3m spray on them that was flaking off.

Before reminder

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #120 on: June 25, 2019, 11:29:39 am »
headlights... had this weird, maybe clear coat, maybe 3m spray on them that was flaking off.

A grinder can easily clean and polish that off. 

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
« Reply #121 on: June 25, 2019, 11:36:44 am »
I'm proud of you, my son.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #122 on: June 25, 2019, 02:37:02 pm »

I actually took a can tire kit with the palm sander and put a 1/2" drive on my drill, cut a slit into the palm sander, then shoved it in. I had to hand sand the 400-600-800 but the 1000 and 3000 I was able to do with drill.

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2008 spec.B
« Reply #123 on: June 25, 2019, 04:40:02 pm »

I went and cleaned up the headlights.They had this weird, maybe clear coat, maybe 3m spray on them that was flaking off.

Or just get someone to do it for you for free.

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
« Reply #124 on: June 25, 2019, 04:41:49 pm »

Or just get someone to do it for you for free.
Just don't tell them its someone elses car.