Author Topic: tperkins' Evo 3, 6, 7 (and 5 RIP) (and Starion RIP)  (Read 33109 times)

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
Re: tperkins' Evo 6 (and 5)
« Reply #125 on: June 25, 2019, 08:15:14 pm »
Just don't tell them its someone elses car.

Also make sure you know how to pop the hood open beforehand. And don't leave your Tim's cup inside to jam the hood shut.
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1999 Pajero, 1999 Evo VI, 1995 Evo III
« Reply #126 on: June 25, 2019, 10:51:44 pm »
Also make sure you know how to pop the hood open beforehand. And don't leave your Tim's cup inside to jam the hood shut.

I feel like things are happening that I don't understand?

Today was the day for changing over the harness

*puke"

(get it?)

Out with the old, in with the new!

Old one out

If you look close you can see a bunch of added wires, subtracted wires, and even broken wires.

This is where the maf plug is supposed to have lived:
The 3 is raw.  Lighter than more agile.  The 6 probably feels like a 747.  And by that contrast, my STI probably feels like the Hindenburg.  So GR's are like the International Space Station.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #127 on: June 28, 2019, 10:12:25 am »
Meet your new roommate, hopefully you will be moving in soon!

The 3 is raw.  Lighter than more agile.  The 6 probably feels like a 747.  And by that contrast, my STI probably feels like the Hindenburg.  So GR's are like the International Space Station.

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
« Reply #128 on: June 28, 2019, 10:16:10 am »
Coming along nicely. Transplanting this weekend?
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #129 on: June 28, 2019, 10:26:19 am »
Coming along nicely. Transplanting this weekend?

I wish, plans with the in laws that I agreed to months ago haha. Can't get out of it.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #130 on: July 03, 2019, 10:41:13 pm »
BC was fun, but I felt like I should have been working on my car the whole time.

When I got back to work I got to working, but did a itshay job taking pictures.

Check out my intercooler sprayer pump (which has since been replaced)

Replaced all the seals on trans and t-case

Replaced power steering belows (new not pictured)

Replaced front sway bar bushings

New parts!

At this point, I took forever organizing the one car garage in order to move the 6 wayyyyy back, then get the 5 partially in, at least to the flat bit. Some parts (wheels and bumpers etc) had to come into the house. Then I used a come-along to get the 5 mostly into the garage and on the flat.

And the engine and trans found their home! I originally planned on dropping the car onto the engine, but decided to go in through the top instead. By that point I had my turbo and manifold and everything already on, so I didn't know if it was going to fit back in like that! Took some finagling.

Beautiful

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
« Reply #131 on: July 04, 2019, 09:15:53 am »
Beautiful is right!
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #132 on: July 05, 2019, 12:07:45 pm »
Had my skateboard tech come over and swap my shifter bushings

Then I bolted the transfer case in, and found I didn't have the bolts for the north-south bar, so went to my local evo breaker and found all the bolts I needed

Ran into a little wiring issue when plugging everything in, the evo 6 harness has a connector near the fuse block that has 8 wires going into it (10 spots, 2 blanks), where the factory 5 side has this 6
 wire connector (8 spots 2 blanks).

Using the old 5 harness, the new 6 harness, and my meter I just made sure that all the same wires went to the same place in the ECU connectors to the 8 spot plug and re-pinned it to match what it had before. Not sure what those two extra wires do, but if I encounter issues I will track it down later.

Everything else plugged in, then I tried to find a place to mount the weird battery isolator that came with the car (which I found has no circuit breaker [on order])

Made a bracket for mounting that a little better, will picture later when it is painted.

Put the rad and fans back in, found that the lower rad hose I have doesn't seem right.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #133 on: July 05, 2019, 12:24:54 pm »
Good progress, more set backs :/
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #134 on: July 05, 2019, 12:34:50 pm »
Good progress, more set backs :/

That fixing the wiring only took a few hours to have *maybe* sorted it out  ::)

I feel like I got a lot done, also figured out the mounting brackets for the evo 6 oil cooler on an evo 5.

Evo 6 oil cooler is twice as thick as the 5. And the 5 has one fluid reservoir that supplies the windshield and the inter cooler tank, which is thicker. The 6 has the intercooler tank in the engine bay and the washer fluid tank in the trunk. So it just wasn't going to fit!

Felt like a very productive day!

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2008 spec.B
« Reply #135 on: July 05, 2019, 01:49:40 pm »
so went to my local evo breaker and found all the bolts I needed

breaker? someone who crashes them and has shells lying around?

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #136 on: July 05, 2019, 03:02:47 pm »

breaker? someone who crashes them and has shells lying around?

Yeah, I think he has parted 4 evos so far. Two 4's, a 5 (where I bought the trans and t case I am using for this car for spares a while ago), and a 6 (which he and I split the costs of, I took the engine and harness and intercooler, rad, etc).

Think evo version of spanky

First one he parted he bought to use a bunch of the bits in his personal car. The second one was his personal car he crashed at knox mountain when his oil cooler failed and coated his tire with oil. The 5 had a blown engine so he scooped it up and parted the rest. The 6 was sitting on kijiji for months and it was running and driving, but the P/O neglected the itshay out of it. Like, it looked like it was in an industrial tumbler with some bricks, every panel was dented and scratched.. his girlfriend kicked the windshield out from the inside and wrecked the dash, the interior was disgusting... etc.

So he has literally buckets of fasteners, when he parts a car he starts a new bucket and all the fasteners he removes goes into the bucket.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #137 on: July 06, 2019, 02:22:49 pm »
Mounted the weirdo battery isolator, I really don't know what their plan was before, I think it was just sitting in the bay.

Also mounted the intercooler and piping, found a new lower rad hose, etc.

6 oil cooler mounted up, just had to extend one bracket, flip some other ones, make a little tab.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #138 on: July 12, 2019, 11:21:40 am »
Went to turn the key!

Nothing happened. I am having some compatibility issues between the evo 5 wiring harness and the evo 6 engine harness. So, big old hickup there, I have been looking over everything for a couple days now and can't seem to figure out the issue. Project may have to be put on hold for a while if I can't figure out something soon.

So far triple checked the connectors, triple checked all the fuses, tried to bypass the battery relocate entirely, tried to boost it with the Pajero just to rule out that battery, that battery is turning the car over when I jumper the starter, connected to evoscan and ecu flash and ran the ayc pump, the abs system, checked for codes, checked each connector one by one against the 5 harness to make sure the same wires are going to the same places... Have found a couple cases where there is a wire omited here, wire there.. have honestly been considering buying a 5 engine harness haha. Tried a different ECU. Anyways, not what I had hoped would happen. Cruising through the confusing assay wiring diagrams now.

If there are any wizards in Edmonton that want to come look at it that would be awesome haha

It is very frustrating to likely have one or two wires flipped keeping the car from starting.

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2008 spec.B
« Reply #139 on: July 12, 2019, 02:21:45 pm »
Fuel, air, spark. You have it cranking, that's good.

It is very frustrating to likely have one or two wires flipped keeping the car from starting.

That sucks. Welcome to the fraternity.

One year the FSAE car would not start. It would crank and try to fire but it just didn't run. I was not on the team that year (graduated already) and it was wired in a rush/hurry and wasn't running properly.
They couldn't get it. I came over one summer's eve with a dejected team sitting in the team room. I went over to the car, looked at it, checked the cam position sensor wires, they were flipped. De-pinned it. Re-pinned it. Tried it. Fired up immediately. I was in shock myself so I smashed the kill switch, opened the bay door and lit it up again.

So it could just be two wires. You won't know until you find it.

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #140 on: July 13, 2019, 11:43:42 am »
Fuel, air, spark. You have it cranking, that's good.

That sucks. Welcome to the fraternity.

One year the FSAE car would not start. It would crank and try to fire but it just didn't run. I was not on the team that year (graduated already) and it was wired in a rush/hurry and wasn't running properly.
They couldn't get it. I came over one summer's eve with a dejected team sitting in the team room. I went over to the car, looked at it, checked the cam position sensor wires, they were flipped. De-pinned it. Re-pinned it. Tried it. Fired up immediately. I was in shock myself so I smashed the kill switch, opened the bay door and lit it up again.

So it could just be two wires. You won't know until you find it.

Sorry! It isn't turning over haha. When I turn the key I get power for the dash, power for the ECU, can control the heater, the music, I can plug it in to evoscan and activate the ABS and the AYC pump, but it only turns over if I jumper the starter.

I was expecting most things to just plug in, and they did, so I didn't have to re-pin any of the cam sensors or crank sensors, I didn't have to actually wire much.. the pin I did have to wire I think is correct and it controls the engine fan high/low and the MPI system, which I can hear clicking on.

In my head cam and crank sensors, the car would turn over just not fire, I can't get it to turn over. So, I basically need someone to come over and hit the key to "on" while we trace the power.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #141 on: July 15, 2019, 10:41:40 pm »
WELLLL WELLL WELL. 5 days behind schedule the car is running!

I was looking over the connectors and found two wires that were swapped in the 6 harness... while painstakingly going through the two harnesses one wire at a time...  Messaged to my buddy who has this awesome time attack evo 6 build (see here: https://www.instagram.com/brainpowermotorsports/?hl=en ) seriously.. check it out he is in Calgary.

Of course the pins were different sizes, and I only had some new pins for the small ones kicking around.

I was able to actually salvage the bigger one my opening it up and using my molex crimpers

And remember how I couldn't trigger the fuel pump... and not sure if I mentioned the UNKNOWN evo 5 ECU I had... TL;DR friend drives evo to other friend's house, they remove running engine and ECU, put into my other friends car (first friend is getting built engine, sold stock engine). They remove ECU, put it on the bench, put the engine into the car, put the ECU into that car. Wouldn't fire. They try a different evo 5 ECU and it fires right up.

Anyways, turns out black / yellow is for the starter signal, black / blue is for fuel pump. Swapped the pins! And the fuel pump still wouldn't prime. So at this point we are pretty sure it is the ECU.

Message guy who knows guys, find an evo 6 ECU down the street, that guy is nice enough to lend it to me and the car fires right up.

Evofam <3 <3 <3

Anyways, here are a couple vidyas: don't mind my fingers in frame
https://flic.kr/p/2gzJpHr
(dragging starter)

https://flic.kr/p/2gzJYN5

It is very hard to describe the happiness and relief when it started.

Now I have TWO running evos! Only one more to go.

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #142 on: July 16, 2019, 08:53:23 am »
If you get a chance, you should pop open the ECU. I bet it's just one or two components (Nissan likes to blow up FETs, my old Civic blew up a power-rail capacitor) that can be replaced cheaply.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #143 on: July 16, 2019, 11:39:34 am »
If you get a chance, you should pop open the ECU. I bet it's just one or two components (Nissan likes to blow up FETs, my old Civic blew up a power-rail capacitor) that can be replaced cheaply.

I knew it was questionable when I got it, so before even installing it I opened up the ECU and like combed over every tiny pin and relay and connection and I couldn't see anything obvious about the ECU.

Right now I have a known good evo 7 ECU, but in attempts to save me from having to look at any more wiring I am trying to trade the guy that lent me the evo 6 ECU and just be done with it!

A few of those chips look kinda funny at the bottom in this picture, but it is just something in the picture itself. If you look at them IRL they look normal, not burned or corroded.

I should also mention that those pins were flipped from Mitsubishi between the 5 and 6.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #144 on: July 17, 2019, 12:13:58 pm »
Videos only have 2 views, why?!

SHARE MY EXCITEMENT

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
« Reply #145 on: July 17, 2019, 02:50:43 pm »
videos?

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #146 on: July 17, 2019, 03:02:19 pm »
Who opens flickr to watch videos? If it's not embedded, it doesn't exist, according to my 15 second attention span.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #147 on: July 17, 2019, 03:56:09 pm »
videos?

Who opens flickr to watch videos? If it's not embedded, it doesn't exist, according to my 15 second attention span.

I tried to do that and failed.

Best I can do.

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
  • Ride: Generic SUV
« Reply #148 on: July 17, 2019, 04:05:59 pm »
I tried to do that and failed.

Best I can do.

Is illmotion's sunday school where you learn about how Stance Jesus scraped for your sins?
Roxanne - 2015 WRX Ginger - 1990 Civic Si
Avatar courtesy of Wong Photography

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #149 on: July 17, 2019, 07:44:20 pm »
Post it on youtube
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.