Author Topic: tperkins' Evo 3, 6, 7 (and 5 RIP) (and Starion RIP)  (Read 33259 times)

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Not contributing to WSC since 2008
  • Ride: 2015 VW tree-killer, 1990 Mazda hairdresser
Re: tperkins' Evo 6 (and 5 RIP) (and 3)
« Reply #250 on: November 21, 2019, 08:27:38 pm »
$45,000 for an Evo 3?!
Quote from: mudferret
Ambystom01 shows the funny picture whom is thine boss.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1999 Pajero, 1999 Evo VI, 1995 Evo III
« Reply #251 on: November 21, 2019, 11:48:12 pm »
$45,000 for an Evo 3?!

*just looked, was more like 42k customs cleared* Yeah, low km high grade auction car

Last one I watched go through auction had 260,000 km and sold for 15k customs cleared.
The 3 is raw.  Lighter than more agile.  The 6 probably feels like a 747.  And by that contrast, my STI probably feels like the Hindenburg.  So GR's are like the International Space Station.

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Not contributing to WSC since 2008
  • Ride: 2015 VW tree-killer, 1990 Mazda hairdresser
« Reply #252 on: November 22, 2019, 09:02:16 am »
That seems nuts to me. I would get it if it was an Evo 5, 6 or 7, especially a 6 TME, given the significance of those cars to Mitsubishi's race history.
Quote from: mudferret
Ambystom01 shows the funny picture whom is thine boss.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #253 on: November 22, 2019, 09:31:50 am »
That seems nuts to me. I would get it if it was an Evo 5, 6 or 7, especially a 6 TME, given the significance of those cars to Mitsubishi's race history.

Real red TME's are selling for 45-80k right now. I think a couple have reached the 100,000 mark. White ones sell for the least as they're the highest production numbers, but they are still like 25-40k for a good one. When they were first legal you could find a TME for like 15-20k, excluding the red ones. I know one guy in Calgary with a blue TME that somehow snagged it from Japan for 10k, I think before they were legal, but that is unusual and very lucky. My 6 at the same time was more than that, but I think his car had 150,000km to my 106,000km. Even evo 4's at auction right now are fetching 12-16k... three years ago the same cars were 6-8k.

I am torn between kicking myself and not, because while I was importing my exporter had an original white, resprayed red TME that he bought for his stock, at the time it was like 18k. White engine bay and stuff.

Also, 5/6/7 prices are on the upswing pretty drastically. A similar condition silver 6 GSR just went through auction and sold for 19k customs cleared prices, with a worse auction grade than mine. I would say if you wanted a decent 5/6 right now you'd have to budget 16-20k at auction, and very similar for the 7's.

The 3 has pretty rich rally history as well. It was the first car Tommi Makinen won the driver's title in on his 4 consecutive year run which is the reason Mitsubishi commemorated the Evo 6 TME. Plus it has the Initial D tax from Team Emperor. Further, it was quite low production numbers, you read varying things but the most often you read 5000 units. PLUS, it is the pinnacle of its chassis, and it will be turning 25 years old next year... so Americans will undoubtedly blow up those prices. 
The 3 is raw.  Lighter than more agile.  The 6 probably feels like a 747.  And by that contrast, my STI probably feels like the Hindenburg.  So GR's are like the International Space Station.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #254 on: November 22, 2019, 04:46:01 pm »

Ordered some flares.. as there is no coming back from that in the rear arches. Ideally, I could just put the car back to stock, but whatever.  Super tidy stock ones are selling from 24-45k right now.

Ooh, the front of that car looks great.  The back looks like a Mazda 6, not that that's necessarily a bad thing. 
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #255 on: November 22, 2019, 05:10:45 pm »
Ooh, the front of that car looks great.  The back looks like a Mazda 6, not that that's necessarily a bad thing.

Yeah, mine will have stock wing and tails. To be honest after googling, I don't see the Mazda 6 connection haha.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #256 on: November 22, 2019, 09:08:50 pm »

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #257 on: November 22, 2019, 09:33:58 pm »
 :-X still don’t lol

I guess euro style tails?

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
« Reply #258 on: November 22, 2019, 09:37:42 pm »
Hard pass on the altezza tail lights on anything but an altezza.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #259 on: November 23, 2019, 02:25:29 pm »
Hard pass on the altezza tail lights on anything but an altezza.

Preach

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #260 on: November 26, 2019, 03:22:09 pm »

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #261 on: December 05, 2019, 04:44:46 pm »
Fake assay "Rocket Bunny" kit showed up, the quality is even worse than I had imagined. I might ditch that whole idea and get something proper. IDK.

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #262 on: December 05, 2019, 05:16:54 pm »
From what I've seen on the YouTube's even the real rocket bunny kits fit like assay.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #263 on: December 05, 2019, 09:16:33 pm »
Fake assay "Rocket Bunny" kit showed up, the quality is even worse than I had imagined. I might ditch that whole idea and get a Golf R

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #264 on: December 05, 2019, 09:22:42 pm »
Golf R's do have nice tail lights. Get two birds stoned at once.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #265 on: December 06, 2019, 08:38:24 am »

If we're in it for the tail-lights, just get a GTI.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #266 on: December 06, 2019, 08:57:30 am »
From what I've seen on the YouTube's even the real rocket bunny kits fit like assay.

Lol well this one is par for the course. I like how that car above looks, but I don't love it. What with my job, I don't have much time for working on cars; so I feel like if I am going to pay a bunch of money to get junk fitted, I might as well use those labour hours to spend on nicer fitting, nicer looking stuff.

Golf R

Hey! Since the comparison was made here, I can compare the cars here. There are some things a Golf R would do better than this car, but there is not a single thing a Golf R would do better than this car for my purposes. The Golf R was the most soulless car I have ever been in or driven. I am not looking for this car to be a comfortable, peppy, grocery getting commuter lol.

Mine still has stock tail lights, I am not looking for new tail lights lol.

If we're in it for the tail-lights, just get a GTI.

I have agreed with every argument you've made for the GTI over Golf R lol.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #268 on: February 05, 2020, 03:40:28 pm »
Brought e3vo into the shop this weekend for an oil change.
https://flic.kr/p/2ipCXLB  <--- so sorry to make you have to click to see video.

A couple more pictures of the passenger seat, I haven't really seen another like this.

Also gave it a bath before going back into winter storage.

Also,

Oil change was due in May 2016, at 137xxx km. Currently the car just cracked 134xxx km.

So I think it probably came over in later 2015, early 2016 and sat parked. True relic of 90's/ early 00's tuning in Japan as most of the mods seem done around the same time period. Kinda neat.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #269 on: February 06, 2020, 10:10:52 am »
Pulled 6 into shop to wash it, but, then it was so clean already I just put maximum air in the tires which I should have done before parking.

Such a great looking car.

https://flic.kr/p/2ipzikv <-- another clickable link, so sorry.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #270 on: February 06, 2020, 11:07:53 pm »
Higher quality vid here: https://youtu.be/dQw4w9WgXcQ?t=1

Offline 4warned

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 06 EVO IX MR SE, 17 Raptor, 07 FJ, 18 Jeep TH, 13 Jeep Rubi
« Reply #271 on: February 07, 2020, 06:48:20 am »
Sorry for the slight derail but was wondering, what are your thoughts on the 05-06 EVO CT9W wagons? Part of me wants to convert one to LHD. apparently 5 and 6 speeds were available?
know of anyone who has bought one yet?  I keep watching the auctions and i'm ready to do something stupid.
WFR Rally Team

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #272 on: February 07, 2020, 09:58:30 am »
Sorry for the slight derail but was wondering, what are your thoughts on the 05-06 EVO CT9W wagons? Part of me wants to convert one to LHD. apparently 5 and 6 speeds were available?
know of anyone who has bought one yet?  I keep watching the auctions and i'm ready to do something stupid.

My opinion would really depend on your budget. If you have 25ish k to spend, grab a manual. I don't think the GT-A (auto) wagon's got Mivec, and came with a smaller turbo for low end torque. Prices are only increasing on the wagons, so if you can get a manual for what you'd be comfortable paying I would say go for it. Obviously to me the LHD swap isn't worth the effort lol. I don't think they are legal for import yet, but very soon. I don't know anyone who has bought one, but two people that are looking.

There are like 3-4 people here in Alberta that have swapped the pretty robust evo 5/6 manual trans and t case into the evo 7 GTA and had good success. An evo 7 GTA is a 6500-8500$ (customs cleared) car at auction for one you'd want, where an evo 7 GSR are now 16-25 ish (customs cleared) obviously more for low low kms and minty ones. Of course, the hood, rear wing, seats, front bumper are different on the GTA, they are heavier, blah blah but you see the point. I have been very tempted to get an evo 7 GTA for winter driving and swap in my spare trans if/when the time comes. But if you want to pay up, not worth the effort. The ECU is more complicated for the auto cars and blah blah.

Now, with the Evo 9 wagons, prices are quickly increasing, even for the auto trans ones I have been watching prices go up. Important to remember there were only like 2950ish of the evo 9 wagon's made. The auto trans ones look like they can be had from 8-14k, and the manual trans are like 16-28k it seems like currently. I am not sure if they ever came with a 5 speed, but I know they did come with the 6 speed and the 5 speed auto. Options from Mitsubishi included the 6 speed manual or the 5 speed auto, but maybe they put a 5 speed in for some people, or have been swapped later in life.

Like 15% of the ~2950 produced (Mitsubishi claims 2500, but some nerds took to searching the vins) came with the 6 speed and MIVEC, so there is a big step to the 6 speed manual version.

I found this after realizing I should probably double check some of this info, pretty cool. Not much info on the evo 9 wagon though.
https://www.lancerregister.com/downloads/MLR%20Evo%20Buyers%20Guide%20v1_00.pdf

Alternatively, Rob Dunphy's car is for sale (or was?) and you should just get that:

http://www.speedhunters.com/2017/08/business-front-family-back/2017-mitsubishi-lancer-evolution-ix-wagon-tomei-speedhunters-by-paddy-mcgrath-11/

tl;dr, depends what you want. If you want to maintain original car, pay up for the 6 speed. If you want to change a bunch of things anyways, GTA would be a more economical starting point, but honestly, act fast. Prices are climbing. I think it is a rare ish car, wagons always have a cult following, and prices are going up. I think they're rad haha.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #273 on: February 07, 2020, 05:36:00 pm »
New bits, if I had one thing I would like to improve on the car, a little earlier spool would be a big improvement to the drive ability of the car.

Apex-i... ahh, whatever. Japan exhausts are never that big, this one is like 2 5/8", but it will be a big improvement over the factory exhaust, that looks like press bent 2" pipe. But, apexi, to match the cat back. For DSM, lots of exhaust options, for Evo 1-3, Japan only options. I have a MAP front pipe on the 6, but they don't make anything for the 1-3... not many American companies do.

Originally I ordered an autobahn88 turbo elbow. Waited a couple weeks, didn't hear anything. Emailed them. Didn't hear anything for another week, emailed them again. Another week, 4th email to find that it was out of stock / production. So, bit the bullet and got a JMFab turbo elbow. I emailed JMF and asked if they had any promotions going on, if they would use someone other than UPS to ship, and they basically said not at this time.

Found that Map was having a 10% customer appreciation sale or something. That code wouldn't work for the front pipe so I emailed them to see if there were any other promotions, so they gave me another 10% off thing, and ship with Fedex. In total, saved like 40$ or something sending some emails.

Yesterday, received an email from UPS about a shipment. Oh no. Disaster. MAP must have drop shipped directly from JMF, and just ate the extra UPS cost. Showed up today and customs / duties / brokerage was only 30$, so that isn't so bad.

But dang, check out that bit of pipe.

Was also bored, trolling RHDJapan, ended up ordering some more stuff.

Cusco underbody brace. I am amazed the car didn't have that already. It seems like it has every bit of bracing you can buy, but no underbody brace. Also, where available, the PO seemed to really like Cusco bits. So, I thought I would continue that trend.

When i was ordering that, I also found this Cusco brake stay, thought ah, uckfay it may as well. I will be putting Brembos on the car, so maybe this is a good preemptive move.

And, skateboard bearing bushings arent a thing for the 1-3, these were cheap and combined shipping, cool bit of kit. And it has some short throw, that I am hoping is adjustable because it is too short lol.

You can see the pathetic stock pipe here.

Last time I was home I also literally gave the underneath a sponge bath, very happy with how clean it is under here.

Also, I was wondering what that ready rod was for, and realized the car probably had a rear diffusor at some time. Evidence: ready rod, spongey foam tape, hacked off tow hook. E3vo currently has a pretty good parts pile going.

Offline Dr Beans

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018 Canyon & 2001 STI
« Reply #274 on: February 09, 2020, 01:52:51 pm »
Damn that car is clean underneath. It's cool to see you keeping it period correct with the mods that are going on.