Author Topic: tperkins' Evo 3, 6, 7 (and 5 RIP) (and Starion RIP)  (Read 33253 times)

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1999 Pajero, 1999 Evo VI, 1995 Evo III
Re: tperkins' Evo 6
« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2018, 04:08:57 pm »
The 3 is raw.  Lighter than more agile.  The 6 probably feels like a 747.  And by that contrast, my STI probably feels like the Hindenburg.  So GR's are like the International Space Station.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2018, 04:10:31 pm »
The 3 is raw.  Lighter than more agile.  The 6 probably feels like a 747.  And by that contrast, my STI probably feels like the Hindenburg.  So GR's are like the International Space Station.

Offline VTAKLOL

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2002 Ver. 7 STi Sport Wagon
« Reply #77 on: September 20, 2018, 04:21:22 pm »
Fitment looks perfect to me, not everything has to be zomghellaflushbr0 and this isn’t some stancenation Honda.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #78 on: October 08, 2018, 07:37:57 pm »

I was able to get out for one more drive before the snow flies. Really need to sort out some clear protectant on the flares and skirts and install my mud flaps.

Garage life until spring.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #79 on: October 08, 2018, 08:29:15 pm »
Huh, I always thought you didn't have flaps by choice.  I think your car looks clean without them, but if you want them for the purpose of it, then I won't dissuade you. 
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2018, 08:42:20 pm »
Huh, I always thought you didn't have flaps by choice.  I think your car looks clean without them, but if you want them for the purpose of it, then I won't dissuade you.

Yeah, I didn't want them, I think it looks better without.. but the rocks these things fling are ridiculous. I had a friend that didn't want to drive behind my anymore!

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2019, 01:42:14 pm »
Opened the garage door the other day and showed it the sun, seemed cruel.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: tperkins' Evo 6 (and 5)
« Reply #82 on: February 07, 2019, 11:19:00 am »
Maybe I will just leave these here for now. #evolivesmatter

Here is the new evo 6 engine for the 5!

Long story short, young guy picked up this car 4+ years ago. Within a month engine killed itself (not sure why, in the past I have seen waste-gates fail, cars overboost to 28 lbs or whatever no wastegate control gets you, and engines throw a rod out the side of the block). PO decides to buy a fully built motor from the US and install himself.. finds he has no time, brings it to a shop in Edmonton, they have it for over a year and it moves with the same mechanic to 3 different shops. Each one tries their luck at it, after a 5, 7, 8 ECU, followed by a haltech, followed by a link g4 (tuner issues with speed density), they finally get it running. Above wastegate pressure the car gets phantom knock, no one really knows why but his exhaust is super restrictive and he is having crank case pressure issues. Car makes approx 360 whp @ 14 psi. He brings it home, acknowledges issues, brings it to shop in Calgary who works with well known evo tuner. The shop is tasked with giving it a bill of health, addressing issues which might come up. They determine, with a boroscope, that at some point the pistons have made contact with the valves.

Obviously, over this time it has been 4 years, PO is tired of the car, decides to part it out, I messaged him to buy the rolling chassis, granted I bring some of my spare wheels. He sells a bunch of stuff, wheels, turbo and intercooler kit as a whole, ECU, etc. Someone wants to buy the head (as it has cams, ported, etc), when he pulls the head from the car, he finds that there is no valve damage at all, no contact.. so the other shop must have seen the valve clearances and assumed it was contact marks. I actually looked at the engine myself with the head off and also didn't see any evidence of valve-piston contact. At this point, he posts pictures on FB group and an engine builder chimes in that the pistons were orientated backwards this whole time. So the clearances for the exhaust and intake on the pistons were backwards.

In rolls me, I am just going to put it back to stock with this evo 6 engine I picked up, an evo 5 trans I had as a spare, and a spare t case which I have gone through and upgraded the LSD fasteners. I have an evo 7 ECU to go in, and I have a factory 6 wiring harness (spare) sitting here that I can use if the old one has been too molested.

Probably this will raise some questions, I would rather not get into which different shops (3 well known shops in the Edmonton / Calgary scene) dealt with this car as that is not my business, and there are two sides to every story.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2019, 10:45:10 am »

Grabbed a couple pictures yesterday, this car is pretty clean.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2019, 12:24:53 pm »
Luls EVO's are dum

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2008 spec.B
« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2019, 06:22:30 pm »
That's quite the story Travis.

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2019, 10:30:22 pm »
Luls EVO's are dum

Since you already let cat out of bag in other thread, let me blow up your spot some more

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2019, 04:08:52 pm »
Courtesy of Dan:

Don't believe
by canuckrz, on Flickr

But yeah, those EVO VI's look way better in LHD

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2019, 06:05:42 pm »
Courtesy of Dan:

Don't believe
by canuckrz, on Flickr

They look the same lol. But, follow your dreams, I can't find exact numbers but my best guess for black LHD would be less than 100 of them. Book says that the VI has doubled export numbers over the V (777 V's, 1869 VI's exported). Now, not all exports would be LHD variants. Of the 777 V's exported, approximately 340 of them were LHD. So, less than half. Further, the book doesn't specify if the 1869 number includes TME edition evos, but at such a substantial number I think it is safe to assume that it does. More to the point, not all the LHDs would be black. Further, any LHD RS cars which were exported would for sure be white. GSR and RS2 were available in black. So yeah, there are likely well under 100 black GSR or RS2 LHD's (I was talking to a guy with a LHD black RS2 and I think the number he gave me for was his was like 1 of 4). I found a few LHD evo 6's for sale in old ads still around the internet and they ranged from 40,000-65,000$ (car price, before importing), couldn't find any sold prices for black LHDs. And, most of the ones I found were before the cars were demanding the prices they are today and a few of them were LHD conversions.

Also, I realized that we agree that a GC Subaru is the best looking Subaru.

And, now we know that you enjoy a black evo 4-5-6 above a GC Subaru.

Therefore, you enjoy a black evo 4-5-6 more than any Subaru. *gasp*

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2019, 11:04:14 am »
Not a very big update, but I have most of the things I will need for ebo 5, subtract the clutch.

Painted the heck out of some rusto parts,

POR15:

Just used some spray paint on the fins, when I blasted it at the car wash a bunch of paint flaked off exposing copper, which turned green and uggo.

Polished the heck out of this:

Part of pile

Shiny resurfaced flywheel

The place I am renting has pretty poor garage lighting, changed out two of the bulbs for the LEDs

Before

After

Before

After

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Not contributing to WSC since 2008
  • Ride: 2015 VW tree-killer, 1990 Mazda hairdresser
« Reply #90 on: February 21, 2019, 05:47:02 pm »
At first I thought you were installing uckfaying gigantic LED headlights.
Quote from: mudferret
Ambystom01 shows the funny picture whom is thine boss.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #91 on: February 21, 2019, 11:56:37 pm »
At first I thought you were installing uckfaying gigantic LED headlights.

Could you imagine that thing in a headlight housing lol

Offline RedndWhite

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Classing up the Joint since 2018
« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2019, 01:18:40 pm »
Could you imagine that thing in a headlight housing lol

They could fit in the fog light housing. And you could see for miles.
Photos and Stuff

Al-Tessa;
Beat'm'up
Life is too short to be stock and drive boring cars.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2019, 10:57:04 pm »
Reverse LED lights   

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2019, 10:54:34 am »
They could fit in the fog light housing. And you could see for miles.

They claim to be 3240 lumens per bulb, but it is a lot of flood haha. So you would see very well for about 15 feet haha. Could fit in the fog holes in the bumper haha, but the fog lights themselves are pretty short!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=543056589153502&id=172306466228518

Used in the evo 4/5, 22b, was an upgrade for ver 5/6 wrx / sti, and has been used on tons of land rovers!

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #95 on: February 26, 2019, 08:55:47 pm »
I do wish that the Hawkeye front end could use those lights instead of their puny little fogs. 

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2008 spec.B
« Reply #96 on: February 27, 2019, 10:26:34 pm »
I do wish that the Hawkeye front end could use those lights instead of their puny little fogs.

eehhh

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #97 on: February 28, 2019, 02:45:08 pm »

DaDuke99

« Reply #98 on: February 28, 2019, 04:09:39 pm »
I think I saw some morimotos for sale somewhere too...  >:D

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #99 on: March 20, 2019, 01:03:25 pm »
Still putting off the clutch purchase, doing cheap / easier things and ordering smaller things.

Painted the grills and all the inserts with some POR15, also the north south bar has been painted.