Author Topic: Fall Camping Tips & Tricks  (Read 1273 times)

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Honda CR-V
Fall Camping Tips & Tricks
« on: September 06, 2017, 09:30:36 am »
I am going to be doing some fall camping for the first time this year and am just looking for some tips and tricks on staying warm etc. I will be going the last weekend of September so it won't be extremely cold but I imagine it will drop to around 8-10 degrees at night if not slightly colder.

For instance, I don't own a low temp sleeping bag but would a few thick blankets/quilts do the trick?

What might be some other things I may overlook as I have never been fall camping before. I don't imagine it being much different besides a little colder at night.

Offline trevoroni

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: Justy | Outback 3.0R | Crosstrek | STI
Re: Fall Camping Tips & Tricks
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 09:53:40 am »
Where are you going camping? We've already had a few mornings below 5* up here.

I'm assuming you are camping in a tent if you are worried about the cold? What kind of tent do you have? Usually leaving a vent or two open in the tent is better than closing it up tight since your breathing will cause condensation and it'll end up damp inside.

Do you have a Thermarest or are you using an air mattress? What is underneath you when you are sleeping is as important as the sleeping bag or blankets you have on top.

I've read that bringing a bottle of warm water or a rock from around the fire into your sleeping bag before bed is good to take the chill off. I've never tried it but have used some of those disposable hand warmers as extra warmth before.

Eating some carbs before bed is supposed to help your body generate heat.

A fresh set of clothes before bed helps too, and bring the clothes for the next day inside the tent so you can warm them up in the morning before putting them on.

A toque is supposed to help as you lose a lot of heat from your head.

I don't think you'll have a problem at the end of September though. Just have a couple extra beers before bed and you won't even notice the chill!

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Honda CR-V
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 10:07:52 am »
Just over to Pigeon Lake, we only have one night so I wanted to keep it close to save driving time.

Definitely in a tent, only way to camp in my opinion haha. We will be putting those thermarest pads down as insulation with an air mattress on top.

I don't think it'll be much of an issue either, it can still be pretty warm at the end of September. I would just rather be prepared than end up freezing.

Eventually I want to start winter camping so I am slowly going to accustom myself to staying in colder/harsher conditions.

Offline trevoroni

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: Justy | Outback 3.0R | Crosstrek | STI
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 10:31:57 am »
I agree that tent camping is the only way to go!

I found that I slept colder when we used to use an air mattress vs. just a thermarest since the cold air would travel through the air mattress. A combination of the two might help though.

If you want to start winter camping I'd suggest slowly upgrading your gear as well as getting used to the colder conditions. A good sleeping bag and 4 season tent really makes all the difference. It's expensive if you were to get it all at once but if you get a piece at time and wait for sales it's not too bad.

Offline thedude

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2002 Toyota Tundra
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 10:50:25 am »
I've been told that making sure you pee before bed is important. Reason being is that if your bladder is full, your body will isolate heat to keep the liquid warm pulling heat away from the rest of you. A quick Google search displays a very two sided argument however, I've personally found it to work.
2008 Aprilia Shiver 750 - Sold 10/02/2017
2013 SWP Subaru WRX Hatchback - Sold 01/04/2022

thedude's 2013 WRX Build Thread

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
  • Ride: 2002 toyota tacoma 4dr (RTT crowdsourced with NFTs)
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 11:22:52 am »
I've been told that making sure you pee before bed is important. Reason being is that if your bladder is full, your body will isolate heat to keep the liquid warm pulling heat away from the rest of you. A quick Google search displays a very two sided argument however, I've personally found it to work.

plus getting up in the middle of the night when its cold suuucks.

uhhh, if you have warm bedding, its better to sleep with LESS clothes, counter-intuitively. Its cold at first, but heats up the space faster and hotter. I go nekkid except a toque. Pack your clothes in the bottom of the bag so theyre warm the next day. A good mat makes a huge difference as you loose tons of heat thru the ground.

In the winter I dig a tent pad out based on my ground sheet, piling snow evenly on the immediate edge to make a bit of a lip. I then pack it down evenly, and add spruce or cedar boughs from surrounding trees to cover the ground about 6" thick (try to keep any big sticks out). I then set my tent on top of that.  Winter camping sucks, but its totally doable. The -25C or less hybrid or full down bag is key. I use a Thermarest Neo Air and its toasty warm. You just have to be prepared to be uncomfortable.

I used to do this every ~2ish weeks when I lived in vancouver, as I would camp on blackcomb just off a ski run because I couldnt afford a hotel.
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff
Subaru(sold) Ford (sold) Toyota

Offline the_saint

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2004 STi
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 04:47:20 pm »
Is there a fire ban where you will be camping?

If not, then enjoy making a fire!

If there is a ban and if you are car camping and have access to a propane fire pit DO IT!

As mentioned above a properly rated sleeping bag and pad are key to staying warm!  A proper pad / Thermarest will be much warmer than an air mattress.  An air mattress will be more comfortable, but quite a bit colder.

DaDuke99

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 12:09:16 am »
I type this while tenting in BC, in a half decent sleeping bag and a medium-heavy blanket. The nights arent bad.. It's getting out of bed that sucks. I found that I get too hot wearing clothes in bed, and have even unzipped my sleeping bag just to help regulate heat.
Bring a propane stove thing if there's a fire ban.. Keep everything away from the walls of your tent if you can help it to help keep things dry. Bring some thermal clothing just in case the temp does drop.

DaDuke99

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 12:15:02 am »
Also, x2 what Ekais said about putting clothes in your sleeping bag with you. I wait until my first alarm goes off in the morning to pull my clothes in with me, but that's because I hate myself apparently, and it helps me wake up.
If you're picky about what you sleep on, get that sorted. You really don't want to find yourself trying to adjust things in the middle of the night. I'm currently on a queen sized foamy, doubled up. Suits me fine, but that's definitely a personal preference.

Offline wrx-zrx

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2007 STI
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 09:12:56 am »

A toque is supposed to help as you lose a lot of heat from your head.

Best advice ever. This one little thing can make or break sleeping comfort for a whole trip.

Offline milkpumba

• Patchy Faced
  • Hakuna matata
  • Ride: 2017 ISM WRX
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2017, 03:08:14 am »
I occasionally stream games on Twitch