Author Topic: Differences between 97 St/b and 98 or later St/b? Parts not fitting  (Read 1232 times)

Offline ForesterJF

• Baby Faced
  • Ride: 97 Forester
So i recently bought a JDM 97 Forester St/b, love the car but want to start adding some things. Bought an Apexi Cold air intake off ebay from what seems like a trusted seller. when i went to go put it on, the gasket and filter didnt fit my MAF sensor. The diameter of my maf sensor ass-well as the intake tubing is just under 3", while the filter diameter was 3 3/8" and obviously wont fit. My question do you guys think that i was sent the wrong part or are there differences mechanical wise between 97 foresters and 98 or later foresters, because when you look up parts for these foresters  the parts only ever come up under 98-02 but i was told that 97 still fit in there. Very new to the subaru world and not sure about any of this stuff right off the bat so i thought i would ask. Thanks in advance :)

Offline Sask08STi

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: AW 98 Forester ST/b
Re: Differences between 97 St/b and 98 or later St/b? Parts not fitting
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 09:04:31 am »
They changed to an EJ205 motor on late model 1998 ST/b's your 1997 and early model 1998 have an EJ20G motor so you need parts from early STi's to swap parts with. No late model 1998 or later forester ST/b or STi parts will work with your motor.

Offline VTAKLOL

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2002 Ver. 7 STi Sport Wagon
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 02:49:22 pm »
^and even then, there are some differences between the EJ20G in the Foresters and the 20G in the GC8's.
It's a parts bin engine, and I can confirm that finding parts for it can definitely be a pain.

Offline ForesterJF

• Baby Faced
  • Ride: 97 Forester
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 01:03:48 am »
Ok well that helps a ton yet annoys the itshay out of me lol. Thanks for the info, i’ll start my research now i suppose

Offline Psycho Mike

• Stubbly Faced
    • My 2018 Ride to Conquer Cancer Participant Page
  • Ride: '98 JDM Fozzy SF5
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 05:33:19 pm »
Best advice: check the engine code on the info plate in the engine bay (assuming it is the stock engine, otherwise all bets are off) and go by that.

As for the swap, I think the ones with the EJ205 were marketed as 1999 rather than 1998...My Fozzy is a late '98 (November according to the import docs, but 1998 MY none the less), but has the EJ20G under the hood.
Just another Subie pilot :)

Offline 98SF5

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: None
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 09:00:19 pm »
Hey sorry for the late reply but let me know what part you need, I can check the part numbers for your car or ill just send you the diagram with the part numbers.