Author Topic: 06 STI Blower motor problems  (Read 1408 times)

Offline Cheekyassturd

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 06 SGM STi
06 STI Blower motor problems
« on: October 10, 2017, 11:08:37 pm »
After a long drive from Medicine Hat to Penticton everything seemed to be doing fine.  The next day there was a weird rattle behind the dash.  Ate lunch, went to drive again and the rattle was gone but the fan was no longer blowing air.  I took out the cabin air filter and got as much crap out of it as I could and every time I put the filter back in and put the glove box back on, the fan would stop blowing again until I undid the clips on the cabin air filter slot.  I left the cabin air filter out to see if it was the issue, and day by day the fan kept getting weaker, until now where it will hardly move at all.

In the video the air is on full blast.  I'm assuming the motor is dead from the sounds.  It looks like I can get the motor from a 01-07 X-trail instead of buying a whole new assembly from Subaru according to this thread:

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2605870

Thoughts?

Offline Jay89

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 WRX airboy tuned, 2017 Lexus IS350
Re: 06 STI Blower motor problems
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 12:18:10 am »
I think it'll be easier to just replace it. What's probably happened is that the brushes on the motor has worn out or got really dirty. Most likely worn. And by spinning it, you're able to get a small part of the motor to actually get power. It has just enough to spin it and every time it gets to that point again, it'll regain some momentum.

This is just an educated guess based on the spinning in your video.

341awhp ~330awtq
Project Car

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 09:35:54 am »
Do different speed settings still result in a weak blower?

Still, I'd jumper battery power straight to the motor first to make sure it isn't the resistor dying.
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline Cheekyassturd

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 09:55:45 pm »
I think it'll be easier to just replace it. What's probably happened is that the brushes on the motor has worn out or got really dirty. Most likely worn. And by spinning it, you're able to get a small part of the motor to actually get power. It has just enough to spin it and every time it gets to that point again, it'll regain some momentum.

This is just an educated guess based on the spinning in your video.

Are you saying to replace the motor or whole assembly?  It will start to work with a tap from the bottom as well.

Do different speed settings still result in a weak blower?

Still, I'd jumper battery power straight to the motor first to make sure it isn't the resistor dying.

If you turn the fan down it just shuts off.  It doesn't have speed settings as in 1,2,3,4.  Its kinda like a dimmer switch in that regard.

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 10:15:56 pm »
If you turn the fan down it just shuts off.  It doesn't have speed settings as in 1,2,3,4.  Its kinda like a dimmer switch in that regard.

Same difference.

I'd jump it. If she doesn't chooch, it's the motor. It it goes full tilt, the problem is somewhere else.

Your video is classic "dying motor" behaviour, though.

Offline Jay89

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 WRX airboy tuned, 2017 Lexus IS350
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 10:55:12 pm »
I don't think it comes as just a motor, so you'll have to replace the whole assembly

341awhp ~330awtq
Project Car

Offline Cheekyassturd

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 08:23:48 pm »
Quote from: usernameTaken;44154407
I wanted to post a new thread for this, but I don't have enough posts. Hopefully this will show up on google for others who have the same problem.

The blower motor on my 2007 Impreza 2.5i started getting really noisy recently (gremlins in the glovebox :unamused:). I pulled down the blower assembly and removed the fan/motor. The bottom bearing was shot. Okay, easy enough I thought, just buy a new motor. Much to my dismay, I discovered that you're supposed to replace the entire assembly and not just the motor. That thing isn't cheap, and I didn't like the idea of finding a junkyard one.

Out of desperation, I just searched google images and scoured the pages for one that looked similar.

As it turns out, the blower motor from the 2001-2007 Nissan X-Trail (not even sold in the US, maybe Canada) is the same. The part number is    
27225-8H31C
. There's a bunch of other numbers that reference the same part, but I had the most luck with that one.

Anyways, $60 shipped from ebay and it dropped right in.

Here's the old one:

And the new one:

Hopefully this saves somebody else some money and hassle. :derp:

In this thread: https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2605870

Should that do the trick?

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 11:32:02 pm »
I'd yank mine first and make sure it looks the same.

I've been punked before by the internet telling me something will work and it so totally doesn't.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 09:00:58 am »
Yeah, but then you get hitched with Willis' wife.
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline Cheekyassturd

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 12:24:12 am »
Turns out the motor was dead.  In case anyone has this problem in the future, the replacement motor fits in the housing and works.  It is held in by once screw and is very tough to pull out.  Solve one problem and create another however.  I managed to break most of the clips holding the blower motor assembly to the white hood while wrestling with it to put it back in  still am having troubles trying to get them to line up.  Tomorrow problems.

Edit: Wow, turns out if you look at the service manual before working on it you will save a ton of time and break way less things.  I missed 2 bolts on a bracket beside the door that make life waaaay easier.  Now it's working as it was before, just has a couple of zip ties helping hold it together now.