Author Topic: Bad Turbo Bearing?  (Read 1090 times)

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
Bad Turbo Bearing?
« on: July 21, 2017, 12:21:00 am »
Lately, within the past week or so, I've noticed a ticking sound coming from somewhere behind the dash.  I've been able to further isolate it to the turbo heat shield area.

It's a random ticking sound as if something is hitting the fan blade.  It's not a regular tick, happens when the car's at idle but is more pronounced the more I hit the happy pedal.

Is this a sign of a pending failure to the turbo bearing? 

I'm in Edmonton SW or South Campus LRT station if anyone wants to stop by for a listen.
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline Zac

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I liek stuff
  • Ride: 05 LGT Wagon, 08 Jeep WK CRD
Re: Bad Turbo Bearing?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 11:53:30 am »
Sometimes the relays behind and under the cluster tick. It's a common problem on some colder mornings. Unless you're 100% sure it's coming near the turbo.

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 09:45:46 pm »
Wastegate solenoid? They click about 15 times/sec when active.
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 10:00:14 am »
Well, that was stupid..  it turns out it was the engine cover.  I removed the engine cover yesterday morning.  No weird sounds.

Put the engine cover back on for my drive to work today.. weird sounds, and only coming from around the turbo/heat shield area.  Maybe some weird sound resonating behind there.. 

They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?