Author Topic: The Goon and The Darkness  (Read 4984 times)

Offline blame

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • rides spanning 20 years of boosted goodness
  • Ride: Pretty much everything
The Goon and The Darkness
« on: October 16, 2017, 12:36:52 pm »
Well hello. Let me tell you a story.

Once upon a time I was a contributing member here, I had a 2006 WRX named Roo and she was my everything.

She died and I was sad and I sort of dropped off the face of the planet for a while, but secretly in the shadows I was always up to something..

Vehicles have come and gone since then, but this story is about two very special ones.

I present to you: The Goon and The Darkness.

Both vehicles were acquired quite cheap with some work needed on them, both are in rough shape cosmetically, and both are freaking awesome.

-The Goon-

The Goon was acquired shortly after Roo perished. She was bone stock and old and ugly and gross. After a while of daily driver duties, I got a different daily and had less use for a stock non-turbo Subaru, so she chilled in my back yard for a while.  Once I got some time I started poking around with her and she ended up with some forester suspension on lift blocks, truck tires, circle track low offset steelies, a badass roof rack etc.  She is my little itshay disturbed and I love her.

We go on many adventures together, and just see where life takes us.

Status - on the road, but needs some love. I have been tracking down some electrical gremlins that showed up after The Goon spent most of the summer sleeping in my back yard. Most have been fixed, but the rad fans still aren't coming on and I'm blowing rad fan fuses. I think some critter must have munched on some wiring somewhere. Shouldn't be too hard to locate.

-The Darkness-

The Darkness is actually my most recent vehicle purchase. I got her at the end of last winter, in desparate need of a few minor things (alternator, suspension, tires).

I happened to have some random struts and lowering springs in my garage, so I chucked those on there

I then proceeded to drive the crap out of her on the daily. Ripping tires off on frozen lakes etc.. all sorts of fun stuff.

Continued driving her through most of the summer on my old 17x9 Mach V 'Awesomes' that I had for Roo.

They "fit" but need new rubber

I also threw an absurdly cheap ebay exhaust on there. It sucks, it's off now lol

So now we fast forward to about a month ago. My old '06 has been patiently waiting for years in my back yard/personal pick & pull.

I decided it was about time to pull her around front and start some serious dismantling

The 'ol used car lot that is my driveway is starting to get pretty full..

So basically the plan is to take anything and everything I can off the '06 and swap it over to the '02. With added upgrades while I am at it, of course.

Right then, yank everything out:

(Yes, my garage is a disaster. My life is a disaster. Mind yo bidness.)

The 2.5 had many goodies to swap onto the 2.0, oil pickup/windage tray, oil pan, el header, TGV deletes, injectors, vf43, yadda yadda

While everything was apart I decided to do some sexy wrinkle black on a few parts

And a new clutch was badly needed

Many many other things were swappable from the body, I decided to go with the longer sedan control arms and lateral links. That way I could make use of the whiteline sway bars.

For the rear end I decided to just swap the whole subframe over

Other goodies: group n engine and trans mounts, whiteline pitch stop, kartboy shifter

The reassembled engine went back in without a hitch

And I cleaned up and refinished all the exhaust stuff from the '06 as well. The eBay garbage was not cutting it

With the car starting to come together and a few days of real cold weather stopping by to let me know who's boss, I spent some time on interior stuff

Pretty much all of it was donated by Roo, except for the head unit. Trying a new direction with that

One of the last things to get done before it's driving time again is the 4-pot/2-pot brakes, complete with new pads rotors and lines

As of yesterday evening this is how The Darkness sits, not a whole lot left to do.  Going to give everything a once over, throw some wheels on, finish up some wiring, then start the clutch break in and ecu tuning process.

I've been doing a bunch of reading on the romraider forums and I'm going to try my hand at tuning this myself. The old 2.5 was expertly tuned by Sunny at Airboy Tuning.

Plenty will be happening with this car if I have my way, and spring should bring some cosmetic upgrades so she doesn't look like a beaten puppy. I have all winter to lock down the tune before I have to beat on her for autocross and track days, and I'm really looking forward to it.
AWDsome.

Offline blame

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: The Goon and The Darkness
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 12:42:51 pm »
Awesome, thanks jellynuts for the pic resize tip. Much appreciated!

Roo the '06 WRX still has an old thread here

http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=24078.0

Although all the pics were from photobucket so it's a graveyard unless you have the photobucket fix chrome/Firefox plugin
AWDsome.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 02:16:31 pm »
lol, more importantly though, welcome back.  What happened to your WRX?

Feel free to quote the following, copy/paste and I'll delete it afterwards.  FYI, add an L before the .jpg (doesn't need to be caps), so for eg.

https://imgur.com/nGVQNjo.jpg  <-- Huge

https://imgur.com/nGVQNjol.jpg  <-- Reasonable
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline blame

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 02:30:13 pm »
Thanks budski, original post updated. I haven't been around since before photobucket uckfayed everyone over so I'm not used to Imgur yet lol

The '06 got smashed up and written off by insurance, and I spent a while debating what I actually wanted to do with her
AWDsome.

Offline blame

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 07:32:37 pm »
You guys.

It's alive.

Still many things to finish up and tune, but I got her to putt down to the mailbox and back

This clutch is super grabby. I like.
AWDsome.

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 07:41:09 pm »
Nice build!

Offline SubieRoo

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Is slow. And beaten up..
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 07:42:11 pm »
That's awesome. Love coming onto builds like this.

The silicone tubing, did you just spray paint it?

Offline blame

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 08:12:49 pm »
Which silicone tubing?

*Edit* oh you mean the turbo inlet? It's a cast inlet, it got wrinkle black like the manifold and valve covers
AWDsome.

Offline mojikita

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 09:26:56 pm »
(Yes, my garage is a disaster. My life is a disaster. Mind yo bidness.)

Love this. That garage and that driveway are perfect for Subaru "off-road" adventure.

Did you consider swapping the 2.5L into it?

Offline blame

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 09:55:55 pm »
Love this. That garage and that driveway are perfect for Subaru "off-road" adventure.

Did you consider swapping the 2.5L into it?

I did consider it, but I whichever engine I didn't put in, I will eventually build. And I figured I would rather build the 2.5 than the 2.0.

So eventually, she will be a little monster :D
AWDsome.

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2008 spec.B
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 10:39:29 pm »
wagon life!!!

Great work, looking forward to see where you take this.

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 10:43:25 am »
This thing rules.

Offline blame

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 11:34:18 am »
Thanks kids! She has been a lot of work in a short period of time, but I am really happy with how she is coming together so far.

Plenty more to come, but I think all the big stuff is done
AWDsome.

Offline RedBimmer93

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Legacy Spec B, and Two Mopar gas guzzlers
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 02:14:54 pm »
I totally approve this pair of projects  ;D

(Better check the strut towers on the wrx wagon though)

Im super digging the OBS. Where did you manage to find the steelies?

Offline blame

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2017, 05:46:17 pm »
Yeah I will check them, I am sure they are rusted to itshay judging by how bad the quarters are.

The steelies I got from www.speedwaymotors.com (I think)

They were actually pretty cheap, like $60 a rim or something. They are Basset Racing D-Hole circle track wheels. The most annoying thing is that they are lug-centric and need 45° nuts instead of 60° like normal

In other news:

Yay new fuel pump!

Boo snow :(

I am wiped from helping a buddy move all day so I don't think I'll install it right now

AWDsome.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2017, 09:16:58 pm »
Have you done the fuel pump before?  Best advice is, when you're putting the lock washer to hold the filter to the pump, use a socket wrench socket to press the washer in. 

It's a terrible picture, but the second picture in the link:

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/817802-post5.html?s=7e0f28ef33ae9ca1149ff1df81aca163
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline blame

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2017, 09:55:05 pm »
I haven't done the pump on this car before, but I have done innumerable pumps on other cars. I'm sure this one will be similar enough that I shouldn't run into anything I am unprepared for.

And I actually got bored while watching tv and as a result the sock washer has already been firmly installed ha ha

Good lookin out, tips like that are what make communities like this helpful for everyone involved
AWDsome.

Offline blame

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2017, 08:33:30 pm »
H'okay, so..

I've been poking around the last little while, getting a couple things done on the car here and there. Work and weather have kept me at bay mostly, but I am almost done everything physical.

I have been spending my down time at work poking around the romaider forums, and I found a nice map that shares the base car and almost all of the same supporting mods, only difference is a slightly bigger turbo.  I also noticed a very familiar username attached to the post

http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=12668

This particular ROM is the handwork of our very own RTP

So, hey there RockThePylon, buddy, guy..  how are you liking this ROM? I think I might steal it as a good starting point seeing as it already accounts for things like the WRX blue injectors, grimmspeed 3-port, 255lph etc.

I'll of course have to do my own scaling and tweaking, and compensate for the different turbo, but I'm lucky to have found such a close starting point.
AWDsome.

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2017, 09:06:48 pm »
So, hey there RockThePylon, buddy, guy..  how are you liking this ROM? I think I might steal it as a good starting point seeing as it already accounts for things like the WRX blue injectors, grimmspeed 3-port, 255lph etc.

It's a pretty powerful ROM. I'm using it for Antilag, launch control, and Flat foot shifting. If you don't want those features, then the stock ROM is a little easier to tune with, and it's better understood what maps do what.

It also has speed density, flex-fuel capabilities, ECU controlled meth injection, and multiple map switching.

I'm enjoying it.
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline blame

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2017, 09:27:35 pm »
Yeah man, that sounds wicked. The antilag and launch control would be helpful at autocross (the antilag is selectable, I assume? Not on all the time?)

Speed density, meth, flex fuel etc aren't something I'm concerned with at the moment. But map switching without reflashing would be really convenient.

For now I just want something with decent fueling to match my injectors so I can get some miles on the new clutch. This ROM is still maf based, right?
AWDsome.

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2017, 09:50:20 pm »
Yup. The map shared on ROMraider has the MAF scaled for an AEM hot air intake though.
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline blame

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2017, 09:54:17 pm »
Should be alright, I'm running a ks-tech hot air intake on mine. Will have to be properly scaled still but I doubt they are too far off

Thanks for sharing the map, I'm looking forward to playing with it
AWDsome.

Offline blame

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2017, 02:27:27 am »
Well, got a few things done on The Darkness today. Installed the fuel pump, rewired some gauges, a few other things. I took some pictures, but cruel fate has made them unavailable..

I was just about to flash a new ROM onto the ecu and I was digging around under the dash to connect the green thingers. My poor phone slipped out of my hoodie pocket and landed face down on my gravel driveway.

Of course that wasn't enough, so I promptly stepped on it.

* I sincerely apologize for the decline in picture quality from this point forward *

I am currently using some Alcatel 'phone-like device' that takes potato pictures through its potato lens when you poke its potato screen.  I suspect the insides are also potato related.

Anyways, I had to work all evening. And what do you know, while I am there it snows ten hundred feet of snow. Northern BC is a real special place.

But it's not all bad, because I headed home and tucked SuperJeep in for the night

And then started digging out an old friend

Nobody else was on the road, all of the snow had fallen in the previous 4 hours or so, I had the hole town to myself for some delicious subaruing

The Goon is pleased.
AWDsome.

Offline thedude

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2002 Toyota Tundra
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2017, 08:51:30 am »
The Goon is pleased.

Sucks to hear about the phone man, at least you got to enjoy some old fashioned Subaruing
2008 Aprilia Shiver 750 - Sold 10/02/2017
2013 SWP Subaru WRX Hatchback - Sold 01/04/2022

thedude's 2013 WRX Build Thread

Offline blame

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2017, 03:05:23 pm »
I don't think it is ever going to stop

AWDsome.