Author Topic: DIY Windshield Repair - anyone try it?  (Read 3502 times)

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
DIY Windshield Repair - anyone try it?
« on: October 23, 2017, 06:18:29 pm »
I've got some chips and what not in my cheap Windshield.. looking at trying one of those DIY windshield repair kits - do they work as advertised? 

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/permatex-bullseye-windshield-repair-0380027p.html#srp

Just hoping to stave off having to replace the windshield for maybe another year...
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline Jay89

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 WRX airboy tuned, 2017 Lexus IS350
Re: DIY Windshield Repair - anyone try it?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 07:25:55 pm »
Yes. They do. It takes a bit of time but it works really nice. If you let it sit for an hour or so it'll fill out more. I've used it twice on my Lexus.

341awhp ~330awtq
Project Car

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 09:35:42 pm »
Yeah, I've used that exact kit before. I screwed up and let a little bit of it leak out, but it sealed the hole well enough. You can kind of see the outline of where it leaked out if you look really closely.

Definitely take your time and make sure it's cleaned and sealed down super duper well before you start.

Offline 99 rs

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 11:24:55 pm »
I'm late to the reply but definitely give it a go! It ends up being highly satisfying watching the chips fill in and it can be done in your garage. I bought the step above the Canadian Tire kits but same principle :)

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 01:22:21 pm »
Was thinking about this just last night, after I heard a rock ping of my car. My Infiniti has a clean windshield, and I'd like to keep it that way so wanted to look into  a kit.

What kit is that 99 rs? That's what I had in mind.

Offline Stehle

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 13 Abarth, 07 FX4
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 12:09:35 pm »
I'm late to the reply but definitely give it a go! It ends up being highly satisfying watching the chips fill in and it can be done in your garage. I bought the step above the Canadian Tire kits but same principle :)
What kit is that and where did you get it?

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline WAGOWN

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: Ver. 7 STi Sport Wagon
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 12:33:07 pm »
Google names on things.

I like the cut of your jib.
02 WRX, 97 OBS, 03 WRX, 98 OBS, 97 JDM Leg, 97 s/tb, 03 OBS, JDM V7 STi Wagon

Offline 99 rs

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 07:47:20 pm »
RockThePylon, you get 10 internet points :)

I was torn between the Glasweld kit and the cheaper DeltaKits. I decided on the Glasweld because of the UV lamp "surround" curing under pressure perk. I regret nothing and the real reason for me wanting a chip repair kit is for my summer car; the windshield is not cheap. Best part is I made about $500 to date (revenue not profit) just by doing coworker's chips in the parkade.

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1998 Version 5 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R V-Limited
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 10:32:18 pm »
I've used them a handful of times, and they do the job perfectly as long as you're patient. Don't rush it, and follow the instructions!

As for the Glasweld kit, wow... Kind of want one now...

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 04:18:22 pm »
Google names on things.

http://shop.glasweld.com/product-category/windshield-repair-2/windshield-repair-kits/

Lol yeah I deserved that.

They're not cheap, maybe even a bit more than I expected. But buy the right product the first time and you'll save money in the long run. Probably worth the cost of about ten chip repairs give or take, depending where you go.

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 06:58:48 pm »
Some windshield shops throw in a few free chip repairs with a windshield replacement too. I know Cal-Alta gave me that deal when I replaced my last windshield, but I never took them up on it.

Not enormously useful right now, of course, but nice to keep in mind when you do buy a new windshield.

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 02:19:22 pm »
Some windshield shops throw in a few free chip repairs with a windshield replacement too. I know Cal-Alta gave me that deal when I replaced my last windshield, but I never took them up on it.

Not enormously useful right now, of course, but nice to keep in mind when you do buy a new windshield.

Good tip, as I'll be replacing my s2k windshield this spring.Got a crack that I've had repaired, but it's annoying and kind of in my sight line.

Offline GC84ever

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: '01 Impreza 2.5rs
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2018, 11:03:07 am »
if you search ChrisFix on youtube, he has a step by step on how to use the windshield repair kits.

Offline pingman222

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: slow
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2018, 12:26:54 pm »
Does anyone know if these kits will work in the current edmonton weather?  It looks like we should have some OK sun for the UV curing part, but wondering if the cold or anything would affect it.

Offline Jay89

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 WRX airboy tuned, 2017 Lexus IS350
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2018, 01:33:35 pm »
Does anyone know if these kits will work in the current edmonton weather?  It looks like we should have some OK sun for the UV curing part, but wondering if the cold or anything would affect it.

Are you planning on doing the repair inside or outside? It's recommended that during the repair that the windshield is warm enough to sufficiently allow the fluid to fully flow into all the crevices. However, if you're careful, you can do that with a hair dryer. Too much heat can cause it to crack further. Too little and it might not fill everything.

It'll cure fine probably. But I'd let it sit for much longer than what it says on the instructions simply due to the cold during the curing process. After you have the top bit sealed off, the rest doesn't matter too much. It'll cure more over time.

341awhp ~330awtq
Project Car

Offline pingman222

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: slow
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2018, 02:51:55 pm »
Are you planning on doing the repair inside or outside? It's recommended that during the repair that the windshield is warm enough to sufficiently allow the fluid to fully flow into all the crevices. However, if you're careful, you can do that with a hair dryer. Too much heat can cause it to crack further. Too little and it might not fill everything.

It'll cure fine probably. But I'd let it sit for much longer than what it says on the instructions simply due to the cold during the curing process. After you have the top bit sealed off, the rest doesn't matter too much. It'll cure more over time.

i would have done it inside my attached garage, probably could have heated it up a little and then moved it outside into the sunlight.

However, i found a windshield guy's contact number who was recommended off of 780tuners, and he's mobile, said he could fill it for $15 if i came to his house which is only 5 minutes away so i'm just going to go with that route :)