Author Topic: cut on tire sidewall  (Read 1339 times)

Offline vincent275

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 03 Lexus LS430, 17 Porsche Boxster S
cut on tire sidewall
« on: January 21, 2018, 12:51:10 pm »
Hey guys, I am looking for some advice about tires. Last year I bought a new set of summers, but two months later I found a cut on the sidewall of one of the tires, as if something sharp went flying across the sidewall. The cut wasn't deep, maybe 1 mm and there was no steel wires exposed, the rubber also wasn't ripped off.
Since then I patched it up with some rubber cement, drove for the rest of the summer and nothing happened, but it was just driving around the city with short trips and never went above 100.
So this summer I am planning some road trips and would definitely get to typical highway speeds for a long time and some additional "fun" driving so I am a little concerned if the tire could hold up. Is it ok if I just use them or should I play safe and get new ones. They only have about 3000 km on them so if I do end up having to buy new maybe I could just buy one tire and not worry about the tread difference?

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2008 spec.B
Re: cut on tire sidewall
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 03:17:07 pm »
3000km? Replace it. Measure the others and compare to new, then pull the trigger.

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
  • Ride: 2020 Tacoma TRD | i used to have a cool wrx
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 03:42:49 pm »
I think since only 3,000km's you'd be able to get away with only replacing the 1 tire, but I'd agree like diamondedge mentioned to quickly measure the differences to double check!! From experience it's better safe than sorry when it comes to tires, and even if you gotta spend a bit of money - that peace of mind and safety is well worth it!! (Scroll down a little bit from here to see mine break)

Offline vincent275

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 03:58:11 pm »
I think since only 3,000km's you'd be able to get away with only replacing the 1 tire, but I'd agree like diamondedge mentioned to quickly measure the differences to double check!! From experience it's better safe than sorry when it comes to tires, and even if you gotta spend a bit of money - that peace of mind and safety is well worth it!! (Scroll down a little bit from here to see mine break)
Yeah at first I wasn't that concerned, then I watched your video recently and became a little worried

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 06:09:47 pm »
1mm gouge above the bead where it's nearly 3/4" thick... You'll be fine. I've AutoX'd worse.

Offline VTAKLOL

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2002 Ver. 7 STi Sport Wagon
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 07:19:27 pm »
I wouldn’t be worried about it.

Offline greener

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2013 DGM WRX
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 10:25:51 pm »
I blew a tire on the work truck doing +100km/h on the highway.... not fun. If you can get away with just replacing one tire the peace of mind will be worth the couple hundred bucks easily.

Offline RedBimmer93

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Legacy Spec B, and Two Mopar gas guzzlers
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 09:03:10 am »
Looks like curb damage...

The correct thing to do by the book is to replace the tire... however, if they are Pilot Super Sports, it would be hard to find a single replacement since these have been discontinued and replaced by the Pilot Sport 4s.

However, if you were on a tight budget, since the belts are not showing (if what you're saying is true) then I wouldn't be too concerned about using this tire. Of course, check your tire pressures before you leave on said road trip this summer, and make sure this tire goes on the rear so it is under less load when cornering and braking if you want a little extra peace of mind.

Offline vincent275

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 09:10:20 am »
Most of the suggestions I got is to not worry about it so I am planning to leave it on. Will be switching this one to the rear

Offline vincent275

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 09:12:55 am »
Looks like curb damage...

The correct thing to do by the book is to replace the tire... however, if they are Pilot Super Sports, it would be hard to find a single replacement since these have been discontinued and replaced by the Pilot Sport 4s.

However, if you were on a tight budget, since the belts are not showing (if what you're saying is true) then I wouldn't be too concerned about using this tire. Of course, check your tire pressures before you leave on said road trip this summer, and make sure this tire goes on the rear so it is under less load when cornering and braking if you want a little extra peace of mind.

Those are the 4s. I did hit a curb when doing a parallel parking,  thought the sidewall would be a little stronger for curb damage, lol

Offline RedBimmer93

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Legacy Spec B, and Two Mopar gas guzzlers
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 09:50:02 am »
Those are the 4s. I did hit a curb when doing a parallel parking,  thought the sidewall would be a little stronger for curb damage, lol

Nice! The 4s is a very good tire, from what I am hearing.

However, michelin sidewalls are very soft... I rolled my PSS over pretty badly from partaking in one autox and one track day in them. :-\

I suppose this is what contributes to giving these tires a comfortable ride ::)