Author Topic: Oil change interval  (Read 1347 times)

Offline kingbird72

• Stubbly Faced
Oil change interval
« on: October 28, 2017, 10:14:58 pm »
Since I got my new STI back in 2013, I've been doing oil change on my own, following the factory recommended intervals at 6000Kms or 6 months which ever comes first, using German Castrol 0w30 and factory blue filter, recently I changed over to Castrol 0w40(German). I put less than 2000Kms every 6 months but I still change the oil and filter once every 6 months, the car has 23000Kms on it after 4 and a half year ownership, which I started to feel it's such a waste of money, what are your thoughts on this?? should I continue doing the oil change once every 6 months, or should I extend the intervals??

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
Re: Oil change interval
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 11:02:56 pm »
My thoughts are, send your oil for analysis at Blackstone, and they will tell you EXACTLY what you want to know for your motor and oil. 

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/engine-types.php#GasEngine
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline kingbird72

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 11:33:17 pm »
I've been thinking about doing the basic UOA for awhile, just ordered a kit from Blackstone. A basic cost $28USD which it's not too bad.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 11:46:46 pm »
Nice.  You should also go for the additional $10 TBN report, as it will tell you if you can extend your oil usage

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/do-i-need-a-tbn.php

Anyway, others here have been using Blackstone and are very happy with them.  I can't find the link  >:(

Offline Jay89

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 WRX airboy tuned, 2017 Lexus IS350
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 07:41:53 am »
Is it your daily or do you put it away in the winter? How much do you drive it now?

I drive mine about 4000 a year now, maybe less. It doesn't get driven in the winter and sits most of the time, so my oil changes are once a year. I use Amsoil and Mazda rx8 filters. They are very slightly bigger, and are made by Tokyo roki instead of fram from what I remember the Subaru blue ones are now.

In short, if you're using high quality oil, I'd just go with the km or once a year whichever comes first.

341awhp ~330awtq
Project Car

Offline kingbird72

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 10:51:03 am »
I only use Castrol 0W40 in the STI. It is my daily driver and I also drive it in the winter. I am 16Kms from work each way and I work 4 days/week and the occasional south common shopping run, other then that she sits in the garage. I've only put on 1200Kms since the last oil change I did back in April 2017.

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
  • Ride: Toyota Echo RS
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 11:37:20 am »
I’m doing 8000km during the summer and 5000km during the winter on my 17’ WRX. Manufacturer Spec is 10000km.

When you do drive the vehicle does it get completely up to temperature every time? If the oil gets completely warm and burns off all the condensation etc it can each time, and if you are really low mileage I’d be doing it every one year. If it’s not getting long trips and up to temp stick to the shorter interval imo.
I don't name things I know I'm going to sell eventually. Hence why I'd never name any kids I had.

If you can't go fast with 90HP, 900HP won't help you. - Bob Hall

Offline RawRock

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: '11 WRX Limited Hatch (for sale)//'91 Hilux Surf(for sale)//'96 STi 555 (sold)//'14 Impreza (Sold)
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 06:42:53 pm »
..... fram from what I remember the Subaru blue ones are now....

I wasn't aware of this and tried to search where Subaru sources filters from - not much luck. Can you remember where you learned that?
Neat.

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 06:48:15 pm »
I wasn't aware of this and tried to search where Subaru sources filters from - not much luck. Can you remember where you learned that?

http://www.fram.com/media/20698/recall_notice_02052013_for_distribution.pdf

Just one source.

I'm not sure if there really is a resource where you can see who makes what for who.
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline kingbird72

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 10:17:42 am »
Well, what do you know....thank you so much for sharing the information... I looked at my blue filter stock and all of them are the recalled ones!!!!! I called Rally Subaru and they have no idea, so I called up FRAM. FRAM was extremely helpful by advising me to not use any of the filters I have left ( 4 of them ), and to send it back to FRAM free of charge, and they are going to send me 4 updated blue filters.

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 02:37:12 pm »
I called Rally Subaru and they have no idea

Wow.
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline Jay89

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 WRX airboy tuned, 2017 Lexus IS350
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 09:05:49 pm »
I called Rally Subaru and they have no idea,

Haha, that's why I don't trust dealers. I go in knowing what I want.

341awhp ~330awtq
Project Car

Offline kingbird72

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 09:23:52 pm »
Apprently the recall of the blue filters happened back in May of 2013, I'm impressed as FRAM is still willing to honor the recall, even the guy on the phone was like....oh my God it's been 5 years, I thought we've got them all!!!!

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 10:05:08 pm »

Offline thedude

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2002 Toyota Tundra
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2017, 09:54:32 am »
http://www.fram.com/media/20698/recall_notice_02052013_for_distribution.pdf

"Fram Group identified a manufacturing process control issue resulting in a small number of motor oil filters manufactured on certain dates that were produced in a manner which does not allow the filter to fully contact with the engine block. In those instances, the gasket will either immediately fail or fail within 300 miles of operation. A gasket failure results in rapid loss of motor oil. Since the oil filter in your vehicle is in close proximity to the hot parts of the vehicle exhaust system, when motor oil contacts the exhaust system, the motor oil can cause smoking and possibly an engine compartment fire. Rapid oil loss may also cause engine damage."

Makes me wonder.....

I drove home and the next time I went to drive I noticed this.

At this point I had AMA tow my vehicle straight back to the dealership where they told me that a rock must have punctured the oil filter…hmmm…

After doing some reading online in relation to these FRAM filters, it seems others have also experienced this "pinhole" leak as well as the gasket failure resulting in significant loss of oil. In the photo I took above, it only shows about 1/4 of the total oil lost. I realize oil creeps and appears to be more than it is, but I would consider this fairly significant.

I also have 5 of the blue OEM filters at home, I'll be reference checking these tonight to see if they are part of the recalled bunch.
2008 Aprilia Shiver 750 - Sold 10/02/2017
2013 SWP Subaru WRX Hatchback - Sold 01/04/2022

thedude's 2013 WRX Build Thread