Author Topic: Vibrations  (Read 2169 times)

Offline Oly09

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 16 Crosstrek Sport-tech
Vibrations
« on: November 02, 2017, 11:36:05 pm »
So, two weeks ago I installed my lift kit on my Crosstrek and since, when i turn and/or speed 0-30 i feel a vibrations in the rear passenger side! i asked the question to a couples guys but yet no one have found an answer ahah! I was thinking about my axle but i lifted subframe ass-well so my axle should be at the same angle as before. And I feel the vibrations, but barely, over 110km/h. It can't be my wheels that are unbalance because when i turn it's worst. Anyone has an idea of what i could be? ??? I've done my alignment. Some guys have the same problem but they haven't lifted the subframe..

Offline NuTypeR

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Bug Eye Mafia #230, Aint nuthin but a G thang
Re: Vibrations
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 11:55:48 am »
is it bad when turning on one side and then fine on the other? If so, sounds like a wheel bearing possibly

Offline Fry

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Swiggity Swooty
  • Ride: Oscar meyer weiner
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 01:03:21 pm »
I doubt its seized brake pads but that would probably be the best case scenario.

Not very knowledgeable on lifts, so i cant say what could cause it from the lift.

If its kind of a clicking vibrating it could be a CV, but id have to guess a wheel bearing has just started going. They'll deny warranty from your lift on that though.
It's an 08.
It was a lemon before it even achieved rebuilt status.

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 01:49:36 pm »
First things first: Did you double-check your lug nut torque? All the lift kit fasteners? Was anything untorqued and fell out? Pinched bushings/spacers?

Over 110 could simply be harmonics. My Miata used to vibrate like crazy within a certain range of road speed, which I could push upward or downward by changing wheels but never eliminate.

Not sure why that would be worse if you turn - try rotating the tires and see if it goes away?

Offline Oly09

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 07:45:51 pm »
is it bad when turning on one side and then fine on the other? If so, sounds like a wheel bearing possibly
when I turn right and i can feel it more. But it happens right after I installed my lift, like the first drive.

I doubt its seized brake pads but that would probably be the best case scenario.

Not very knowledgeable on lifts, so i cant say what could cause it from the lift.

If its kind of a clicking vibrating it could be a CV, but id have to guess a wheel bearing has just started going. They'll deny warranty from your lift on that though.
It's more like something that shakes

First things first: Did you double-check your lug nut torque? All the lift kit fasteners? Was anything untorqued and fell out? Pinched bushings/spacers?

Over 110 could simply be harmonics. My Miata used to vibrate like crazy within a certain range of road speed, which I could push upward or downward by changing wheels but never eliminate.

Not sure why that would be worse if you turn - try rotating the tires and see if it goes away?
Lug nuts are good! We triple check everything and it's all good!

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 04:35:46 am »
I know it's only one direction you're noticing it, but did you disconnect the drive shaft? Has its angle changed?

Offline Oly09

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 10:46:31 am »
I know it's only one direction you're noticing it, but did you disconnect the drive shaft? Has its angle changed?
No! Only things I touched were the suspensions and the subframe

Offline Unholysavage

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2008 DGM WRX STI
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 12:04:42 pm »
Did you get a wheel alignment afterward?
Edit: missed that you did that.

Did you align it yourself, or was it done at a shop?
Did you change wheels at the same time, for winter? If you did, make sure the hub bore is correct. A good buddy bought a set of spare alloy wheels/winters from Volvo when he bought his wagon, and the hub bore was different by a tiny amount. Volvo had made a slight change to the hubs a model year after his, and nobody at the dealership caught it. Very similar vibration issue.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Offline Oly09

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 01:10:27 am »
Did you get a wheel alignment afterward?
Edit: missed that you did that.

Did you align it yourself, or was it done at a shop?
Did you change wheels at the same time, for winter? If you did, make sure the hub bore is correct. A good buddy bought a set of spare alloy wheels/winters from Volvo when he bought his wagon, and the hub bore was different by a tiny amount. Volvo had made a slight change to the hubs a model year after his, and nobody at the dealership caught it. Very similar vibration issue.
Alignment is done, and it was in a shop. By Balance Auto but i have to go back my car still pulling on right so they have to re-do it. And no i kept my Method Wheels.

Offline NuTypeR

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Bug Eye Mafia #230, Aint nuthin but a G thang
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 04:03:27 pm »
hmm you got it done at balance? I would say get your alignment checked by another shop if you have the time. i heard their alignment machine wasnt calibrated properly so it may be off. I had mine done by them last year, and the front camber was -1.40 vs -1.85 when i redid it this year at another shop

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
  • Ride: 2020 Tacoma TRD | i used to have a cool wrx
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 10:33:02 am »
Did you try rotating wheels yet? Not sure the specs on yours, but however it is might be worth a shot to try swapping them?? See if it persists?

Offline Oly09

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2017, 07:22:04 pm »
hmm you got it done at balance? I would say get your alignment checked by another shop if you have the time. i heard their alignment machine wasnt calibrated properly so it may be off. I had mine done by them last year, and the front camber was -1.40 vs -1.85 when i redid it this year at another shop
Ah Ok! I have to go back, they will re-do my alignment for free, if it doesn't change i'm gonna ask my money back and go somewhere else!

Did you try rotating wheels yet? Not sure the specs on yours, but however it is might be worth a shot to try swapping them?? See if it persists?

No i haven't yet! i'm waiting for my alignment again.. if nothing change after i will rotate them

Offline Player One

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Jack of some trades, master of none
  • Ride: 13 WRX Hatch
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 08:51:21 am »
Any luck diagnosing this last night?

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
  • Ride: 2020 Tacoma TRD | i used to have a cool wrx
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 09:03:40 am »
We think it may just be the tires slipping very slightly / leaning on the inside tread of the rear tire when cornering and accelerating. Perhaps adding the lift kit brought the weight slightly higher thus causing just a slight bit more weight transfer when corner - and also the timing of the cold weather and the tires may be slightly harder now.

Oly said it wasn't happening as bad "since we were there" - But perhaps our added weight sitting in the back helped keep the tires that slight bit more firmly planted??

James can probably speak a bit more technical about it than I ;D

DaDuke99

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 04:20:07 pm »

This makes me wonder about mine now too. They did mine a couple months ago, and when I swapped my tires this winter I noticed some weird wear on one side....

Offline Oly09

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2017, 08:24:57 pm »
I finally got a refund from Balance Auto, so now i'm looking for a good shop for my alignment! Suggestion ?!

Offline milkpumba

• Patchy Faced
  • Hakuna matata
  • Ride: 2017 ISM WRX
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 03:18:21 am »
I finally got a refund from Balance Auto, so now i'm looking for a good shop for my alignment! Suggestion ?!

A buddy of mine who used to be a Subaru tech and currently works for Eastside Kia did my alignment a couple weeks ago. Give them a call! Ask for Corey McKeigan, tell him Carlos sent you! He'll treat ya good! :)
I occasionally stream games on Twitch