Author Topic: Justin Chan's 2016 CWP STI  (Read 5282 times)

Offline jrchan98

• Stubbly Faced
    • Build Thread
  • Ride: 2016 Subaru STI, 1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Justin Chan's 2016 CWP STI
« on: November 13, 2017, 11:04:19 pm »
What's up guys so I thought that I would jump on the bandwagon and start my own build thread, mainly this will be about my STi but I will likely also post up about my 1984 Camaro Z28 as well! So for anyone that isn't quite up to date on what's currently been done on my STi here it goes! P.S. I will be slowly updating this list as there has been a lot done to the car and I likely will have forgotten something :p

Performance Mods

Cobb SF Intake
Cobb Airbox
Cobb Short Throw Shifter
Cobb Front and Rear Shifter Bushings
Cobb Accessport V3
Cobb Exhaust
Cobb 725cc injectors
Cobb Fuel Pump
Cobb Fuel Pressure Regulator
KW V3 Coilovers
Tomei Expreme Equal Length Header
Tomei Catless Downpipe
IAG TGV Deletes
Cobb AOS
ATP Garrett GTX3576R
Tuned By Clark Turner

Interior Mods

Audison VOCE 6.5inch Front Component Speakers
Audison VOCE 6inch Co-axial Rear Door Speakers
Audison VOCE Tweeters
Audison VOCE 10inch Subwoofer
Audison Prima AP4.9bit, Running full active 2 way front
Audison Prima AP4D
Audison Prima AP1D
Pioneer AVIC 8100nex Headunit
Full Dynamat Sound Dampening
Base Model STi Rear Deck
Base Model STi Headunit bezel
GR STI Arm Rest

Cosmetic Mods

Varis Arising II Bumper with Carbon Lip
Varis Arising I Side Under Boards
Verus Engineering Non Aggressive Diffuser
Subispeed Paintmatched Vortex Generator
Perrin Wing Stiffeners
18X9.5 +38 WedsSport SA-20R in Limited Edition Red Light Chrome

DSC00190 by Justin Chan, on Flickr

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
  • Ride: 2020 Tacoma TRD | i used to have a cool wrx
Re: Justin Chan's 2016 CWP STI
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 07:00:14 am »
Nice! :D

Offline wrxsti15

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: STI'15 - Airboy Tuned
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 07:23:13 am »
Welcome to forum... nice ride...

I would only change one thing Cobb Stage 3 94 Octane OTS Tune  -> ProTune ... you have the best tuner located in Calgary... @Airboy

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2008 spec.B
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 08:20:03 am »
Nice, about time you made a build thread.

Wishlist:

bae
Killer B Oil Pickup / Windage Tray
Work CR Kai in 18x9.5

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
  • Ride: Toyota Echo RS
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 08:47:34 am »
Did you try launching yet?
I don't name things I know I'm going to sell eventually. Hence why I'd never name any kids I had.

If you can't go fast with 90HP, 900HP won't help you. - Bob Hall

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 11:20:44 am »
Nice, about time you made a build thread.

Wishlist:

bae
Killer B Oil Pickup / Windage Tray
Work CR Kai in 18x9.5

Levorg front bumper

uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline OEMwhore

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2011 SWP GR STi
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 04:50:23 pm »
Welcome to forum... nice ride...

I would only change one thing Cobb Stage 3 94 Octane OTS Tune  -> ProTune ... you have the best tuner located in Calgary... @Airboy
+1, it's well worth it
Especially considering you went with OTS 94, would be safer to go with their ACN91 until getting a custom tune

Offline StreetsTheWay

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2020 Tacoma TRD Offroad || 2007 WRX STi || 2002 WRX Wagon
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 05:52:15 pm »
Interior Mods

Audison VOCE 6.5inch Front Component Speakers
Audison VOCE 6inch Co-axial Rear Door Speakers
Audison VOCE Tweeters
Audison VOCE 10inch Subwoofer
Audison Prima AP4.9bit, Running full active 2 way front
Audison Prima AP4D
Audison Prima AP1D
Pioneer AVIC 8100nex Headunit
Full Dynamat Sound Dampening
Base Model STi Rear Deck
Base Model STi Headunit bezel
GR STI Arm Rest

Those are some serious audio upgrades.
I've been watching the AVIC-8200 like a hawk on amazon.ca (currently $1,100 CAD+ shipping) to upgrade the stock head unit in my '07 STI, but I don't want to spend more than $800 on it if at all possible.

Did you do all the work yourself or was it done in a shop?
How did Dynamatting the whole car go? Does having it / not having it make or break the quality of all your upgrades?

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 06:38:52 pm »
Small PSA, don't buy dynamat brand sound dampener. It is grossly overpriced purely because of the brand name and marketing. B-quiet is close to a third of the price and is based out of Lethbridge.

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 06:41:32 pm »
Small PSA, don't buy dynamat brand sound dampener. It is grossly overpriced purely because of the brand name and marketing. B-quiet is close to a third of the price and is based out of Lethbridge.

Someone come help me do my car.  I'll feed pizza + beer in my heated garage sometime next year :D  Thx buds.

Offline StreetsTheWay

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 06:48:49 pm »
I am curious just how detrimental having or not having sound dampening is.
Is it truly THAT noticeable and worth the time and money?

As some one who has installed (or had someone install) their sound deadening, I was hoping jrchan98 or someone could shed some light on it.
Reason being - I don't think I'd be willing to go that far with my car.  :P

kijho, I'd be down! Might want to have someone else there who has done it before though, haha.

Edit: Just saw you're in Calgary & I'm in Edmonton... maybe if the stars align one day I'll be there.

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 07:13:40 pm »
I've done a few cars with B-quiet and IMO it depends on what parts of the car you are doing it on. Doors especially on the fronts will have a noticeable improvement both to sound quality and road noise, rear wheel arches and the rear floor over the exhaust (if there is no oem dampener present on the floor) would be worthwhile as well. However I wouldn't tear out the whole interior just to cover literally everything with it, I've done that before and wouldn't do it again for the negligible difference the rest of the parts of the car had and the mountain of work it was.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 07:20:57 pm »
I do want to do the entire floor of the mini in the stuff.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline StreetsTheWay

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 07:31:59 pm »

So something a lot like this - assume 45-60 minutes / door & around the same for each additional surface?
Not doing the WHOLE interior was pretty much the answer I was hoping to hear; the improvement is almost negligible so only take care of the major causes.

Helpful! Thanks Canuckrz

Offline bigdark

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: MY08 SG9 WRB FSXT
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2017, 12:02:40 pm »
Welcome Jrchan, clean ride!

I'm considering sound dampening my vehicle as well with B-Quiet.
Maybe all of us with @kijho, @StreetsTheWay, and others can do a group buy and an install party?

Offline StreetsTheWay

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2017, 12:22:56 pm »
Welcome Jrchan, clean ride!

Maybe all of us with @kijho, @StreetsTheWay, and others can do a group buy and an install party?

Sounds like a good time. Sure, I'd be down!
I see on their Facebook page that they have offered a 15% off Black Friday coupon in the past, maybe they would do something similar for a group buy like what you suggested.
If there is enough interest, maybe we can make it a thing in the spring? (Or early summer?)

Offline hunts_13

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2016 WRX
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2017, 01:22:36 pm »

I'd be in for this as well, been wanting to do my doors for quite awhile now.

Offline jrchan98

• Stubbly Faced
    • Build Thread
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2017, 06:20:23 pm »
I am curious just how detrimental having or not having sound dampening is.
Is it truly THAT noticeable and worth the time and money?

As some one who has installed (or had someone install) their sound deadening, I was hoping jrchan98 or someone could shed some light on it.
Reason being - I don't think I'd be willing to go that far with my car.  :P

kijho, I'd be down! Might want to have someone else there who has done it before though, haha.

Edit: Just saw you're in Calgary & I'm in Edmonton... maybe if the stars align one day I'll be there.
In terms of stereo's I have built in the past having sound deadening really depends on the car, I have heard some stereo's that desperately need it but then others that don't need it at all. In my opinion it depends on the car in terms of how much of a difference it makes. The stereo in my STi is the first one that I did not build with my Dad, everything was done by the previous owner of my car and was installed by Mobile Solutions. I have also never rode in a VA STi without sound deadening so I have nothing really to compare it with. From what I've noticed, rumble and wind noise in my car are not really an issue but I'm not sure if all VA's are like that.

Offline jrchan98

• Stubbly Faced
    • Build Thread
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2017, 11:56:28 pm »
Part One
So I thought it would be interesting to kinda share how and why I initially decided to buy the STi and not something else. In order to explain this properly I'm gonna go back to about 2005 when I was about 7 years old. A close family friend named Taylor whom I refer to as my uncle had just recently added a year old 2004 Aspen White Subaru STi to his ever expanding car collection. Like most cars Taylor owns this STi was quite heavily modified, I don't know what exact parts that were on it but I do know for sure that it had upgraded exhaust, injectors, fuel pump, pro tune and upgraded turbo. When 7 year old Justin found out that his uncle had gotten his hands on a Subaru STi he was ecstatic. I had heard about Subaru STi's from video games and movies at the time but I had never seen one in person. I bugged and bugged my dad to talk to Taylor take me for a ride in this car. So about a week later on a Friday evening as I was leaving the doors of my school I see my dad pull up in the STi. It was the first time I had seen one up close and my initial impression was one of awe. I loved everything about the car from the massive spoiler, hood scoop, flared wheel arches and gold BBS wheels, but what got me most was the sound of the EJ257 motor under the hood. It was a sound that stuck in my head from that day forward, that deep low resonating, classic Subaru rumble. So later that evening after being out with the rest of the family for dinner, we were heading home from the restaurant were at when we pulled up at a set of lights on Beddington Trail beside my Mom who was driving in a separate car. My dad being my dad, hammers it off the line and has the car going full tilt through 1st-4th. At the time I was in shock of how hard that car accelerated I recall saying to my dad that the car was Violent and it was because of that first pull that I fell in love with Subaru's. However as we were slowing down and turning into our community we saw the unmistakable red and blue lights in the mirror... god damn. To make a long story short the cop handed my dad $280 worth of tickets for a loud exhaust and speeding, but thankfully he was able to fight the exhaust ticket (because it wasn't our car) and have the speeding ticket reduced to $80 because the cop had no proof of how fast we were going. So that was the Friday that changed everything for me in terms of my love of cars, I knew from that day forward that I would own a Subaru STi and it also started my Dad's metaphorical hatred of Subaru STi's. Stay tuned for Part 2 of this story as it is almost midnight and I'm tired af so I don't want to type the second part right now lol   

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2017, 08:26:53 am »
Part One
...own a Subaru STi and it also started my Dad's metaphorical hatred of Subaru STi's.

bahahahahaha

You totally shut the ignition off and roll into the driveway in neutral I bet when you're out taking late night pics, lol

^Click^

Offline jrchan98

• Stubbly Faced
    • Build Thread
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2018, 11:17:29 pm »
Whats up guys so I've finally gotten around to writing Part 2 of my story of I ended up with my car. In all honesty I totally forgot about the whole story time with Justin thing I started a month or so ago because of school but better late then never right? So here it goes!
 Part II

In the couple years after the whole ticket situation with my Uncle's STi the joy of riding in the car had died off and quickly became a distant memory, at the time my Dad and I were just finishing off rebuilding my Uncle's 240z so Subaru's were nowhere near my mind but in late 2007 I heard that another one of my Uncles ( Phillip) had just purchased a Hawkeye WRX thus reigniting a spark that had been out for the last couple years. I finally saw Uncle Phil's new WRX in person in the summer of 2007, upon seeing the car I feel in love once again with Subaru's. The car looked fantastic, he purchased it in Steel Grey Metallic and had it lowered on a set of Mate Bronze Work XD9's and had also added on the STi roof spoiler. Coupled with the factory WRX trunk spoiler the car had a simple but aggressive look. Under the hood the car had a STi VF39 Turbo and STi intercooler, APS Cold air intake, HKS downpipe, GReddy Exhaust, TEIN lowering springs, GReddy turbo timer, Cobb short shifter and a pro tune by Clark Turner
10400967_78819195181_3927_n by Justin Chan, on Flickr.
10400967_78819190181_3585_n by Justin Chan, on Flickr

By the time my Uncle had finished modifying his WRX he had turned it into a 350hp monster to this day I still refer to his car as the “STi Killer.” It is very fair to say that it was because of my uncle getting his WRX that my whole dream of owning a Subaru became a permanent goal in my head. In fact from about the time I actually got my licence I bugged and bugged my Uncle to sell me his WRX, it’s a car that I loved then and still love to this day.
Fast forward to the beginning of 2016, I was in my final year of high school and I was working a part time job at the mall for the soul reason of saving up money so I could by a new car. This was the period of time that things had actually started to shape together toward my dream of owning a Subaru, as I and my parents knew that my current vehicle, my beloved 1998 4Runner Limited, was starting to show its age and that they also knew that I wanted a fun car to drive in the summer as I was not legally allowed to drive my Camaro because of insurance reasons. Naturally I began looking at my options for a new car that would be fun to drive in the summer but that could also possibly replace my 4runner as a daily driver. I immediately brought up the Subaru STi as a possible vehicle as it was a car that me and the whole family had a mutual liking for however at the same time I had began looking, Ford had unveiled its brand new 350hp AWD Focus RS and was instantly taken by it… on paper at least. By the time spring of 2016 rolled around I had thought that my mind was made up and was set on getting a Focus RS however by this point I still had not seen an RS up-close so I was merely basing my decision on early reviews of the car and photos. To my benefit my family had built a fairly strong relationship with Cam Clark Ford in the past so naturally I went to see the sales manager who had sold my mom her truck, a number of years earlier. I told him about my interest in ordering a RS and he put my name down for the first one that was due to come into the dealer. By the time June rolled around I received a call from the sales manager at Cam Clark saying they're first Focus RS had just rolled into the dealer and to come down and see it ASAP. My dad and I raced down to the dealer as soon as we were of work, excited to see what all the rage about the RS was all about. When we arrived at Cam Clark we were greeted with 100% disappointment. In the weeks prior to seeing the RS we went and looked at all the competing cars in person. The Evo X, Golf R and of course the Subaru STi. So far the top 2 cars were the Golf and the Subaru so I was egger to see if the RS could top those. The RS that had rolled into the dealer was in a disgusting gloss grey color, we were very underwhelmed by the interior quality and the overall fit and finish of the car. In our minds the car lacked any sort of character, we didn't like the exterior styling and we didn't like the way the exhaust sounded.
20160616_144426 by Justin Chan, on Flickr
20160616_144400 by Justin Chan, on Flickr

So we walked away from the Ford dealer having completely wasted our time in waiting for the RS to arrive only to be let down by it. My dad and I debated in the car about the other 3 cars in the running and agreed that the Evo and Golf were also out of the running. So that evening we agreed that we'd come full circle and arrived once again at the Subaru STi.

Stay Tuned For Part 3!     

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2018, 12:05:00 am »
What were some reasons for outing the EVO and Golf?  I wouldn't say waiting for the RS was a complete waste of time for you.  Had you not waited and gone for the STI immediately, you might be second guessing yourself, always wondering about the what if's.  At least now, you know and can appreciate your car more for what it is. 
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2018, 07:33:11 am »
I'm enjoying the story bro, with the pics too! Can't wait for the next part of the build though ;) :D

Offline thedude

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2002 Toyota Tundra
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2018, 09:52:55 am »
What were some reasons for outing the EVO and Golf?  I wouldn't say waiting for the RS was a complete waste of time for you.  Had you not waited and gone for the STI immediately, you might be second guessing yourself, always wondering about the what if's.  At least now, you know and can appreciate your car more for what it is.

I agree with this. And by the sounds of it, you already had your heart set on the STi from day 1.

Side-note: Are you able to wear that hat to one of the Tuesday meets?
2008 Aprilia Shiver 750 - Sold 10/02/2017
2013 SWP Subaru WRX Hatchback - Sold 01/04/2022

thedude's 2013 WRX Build Thread

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2018, 10:15:00 am »
Bro I don't think Justin is that tall. Or wears glasses.

Still though. Come with that hat.

^Click^