Author Topic: Poopra  (Read 2663 times)

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
Poopra
« on: November 14, 2017, 09:46:33 am »
You know how sometimes you're bored at work, pulling OT, and then you look on Kijiji and make some bad life decisions?

Meet the Poopra. It was sold to us by the owner of a storage yard in Acme, who was liquidating it after the owner presumably stopped paying his storage bill.

It comes with zero horsepower:

The interior is a mix of P-Type parts and L-Type parts, with some important panels (HVAC controls) entirely missing or broken. It smells prominently of mouse itshay, and there are at least two mouse nests that we identified while taking the hood off the car and preparing it for transport. The yard operator believed it to be a 1985, but based on some other information we received (see below) it is probably a 1982. The shell is almost completely free of rust, which is god damn remarkable for a Japanese car that's older than me.

Near as we can tell, one of the previous owners was a moderator of the Alberta Supra Club but his build thread peters out near the end of 2009, after this car drove him insane trying to rewire it multiple times for a 7M swap. I'm guessing that he is not the same guy who dumped it in the yard. Hoping to get my account approved for the forums so I can ask the dude some questions about it.

This is going to be an extreme long-term project; we have at least three cars in the queue in front of this one, including whatever our Trans Mountain car will be for this year's rally. It came stuffed full of boxes of parts, which we haven't had a chance to open, so if there's a nice Chinook and we get bored there might be some "unboxing" posts in which we discover more mouse itshay.

So far, all we have done is source another W58 manual transmission with an "M" bellhousing: it came off of a '90 so my understanding is that this is a "steel case" W58 and therefore slightly stronger than the W58 this would have come with.

The plan is to repower the car, strip the interior as much as possible, and then use it for ice racing and/or autocross? I dunno.

Expect very slow updates as this now sits on a trailer in a field. That is, unless you have a 5M or 7M lying around your garage and want to give it to us so that this thing gets kicked up the queue a few spots.

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
  • Ride: 2020 Tacoma TRD | i used to have a cool wrx
Re: Poopra
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 09:51:42 am »
Cool!

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018 WRX
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 10:45:47 am »
All kinds of yes in this post. My wife's first car was an 83 Celica GTS (same chassis) and it was by far one of my favorite cars that we have ever owned.

As for the motor...

just saying...

I'm not sure if it's still there or not, but last time I went to pick'n'pull on 52nd there was a cressida with a 7MGE sitting there. If you are looking for parts, I would suggest checking out the Dori-Kaze facebook group. It's mostly guys from BC and Alberta with old Toyotas so stuff comes up randomly there.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • seat safety switch
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 10:58:18 am »
I'm not sure if it's still there or not, but last time I went to pick'n'pull on 52nd there was a cressida with a 7MGE sitting there. If you are looking for parts, I would suggest checking out the Dori-Kaze facebook group. It's mostly guys from BC and Alberta with old Toyotas so stuff comes up randomly there.

Yeah, I registered for their forums but I think their email service is broken or something.

I might head over to PnP this week and go take a look, maybe on Thursday once the mud has had a chance to re-freeze.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 11:25:21 am »
Along with Jukka, Canuckrz would be another good source of knowledge and experience for this. 

Are you friends with Gwynn?  He's currently building a Supra, although that may be on hold as he's now working on an old Hilux pickup. 

Loved the story behind this car. 
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • seat safety switch
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 11:31:00 am »
Along with Jukka, Canuckrz would be another good source of knowledge and experience for this. 
I always knew there was something off about him. Turns out it's Toyotas.

Are you friends with Gwynn?  He's currently building a Supra, although that may be on hold as he's now working on an old Hilux pickup. 
I don't think we've been introduced.

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018 WRX
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 12:31:52 pm »
Yeah, I registered for their forums but I think their email service is broken or something.
Yea the forum was down for awhile and took about a month to reboot. I don't think they have the registration side working properly, but the facebook group is up and running no problem.

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2008 spec.B
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 12:45:35 pm »
I am so happy to see this. One of my good friends from undergrad owned an '84, it had the four spokes and it was a hoot to be in. I win the lottery I'll buy that showroom MKIII at CH Toyota and boost that 7M
to the kingdom come...

WSC meet at PnP for Toyota goodies? I'm in...

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • seat safety switch
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 02:58:04 pm »
I made contact with someone who really wants to trade the Riken meshies for a 5M + ECU + harness. Since the wheels are sort of nice, but not nicer than an engine, I think I'm going to make the trade.

He says he might be able to locate a set of stock (14") Supra wheels, which I like much better except for the part where I now have to find tires in 14".

Offline wrxsti15

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: STI'15 - Airboy Tuned
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 03:10:21 pm »
You know how sometimes you're bored at work, pulling OT, and then you look on Kijiji and make some bad life decisions?

I know that feeling... lol

Can't wait to "see it" running...

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: MMVI WRX
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 11:09:23 am »
Nice! I love that generation of Supra.

Have you finished building it yet?  ;D

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • seat safety switch
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2017, 09:59:00 pm »
Today I put a driveshaft with fresh u-joints into the '90 F150 at the ranch and then rewarded myself by picking through the detritus of the Supra.

Found a box in the car addressed to the one previous owner I know of (and have made contact with, he's a cool dude). It was packed with newspapers advertising the new 2007 Dodge Ram. Inside the newspapers was an 80s digital dash!

When/if it works, it will look like this:

Other things found in the car so far:
  • Original P-type cloth seats
  • Door cards
  • What appear to be three complete driveshafts (WTF?)
  • The missing quarter window trim :)
  • The cowl trim
  • A bunch of air conditioning soft and hard hose
Will look in there more often. It's sort of my treat each time after I finish up another project on the stack.

Also found out that the hatch lock/latch does work, but the hatch struts do not. (ouch)

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: MMVI WRX
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 08:11:33 am »
How many vehicles do you own now?!

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • seat safety switch
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 09:21:50 am »
How many vehicles do you own now?!
Too many. If you or your loved ones are looking to buy a car I have like three for sale.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • seat safety switch
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2018, 10:17:49 pm »
You know how sometimes nobody buys your extra cars and then you run out of hours during winter so you sit around the house until you go crazy and just start fixing everything in sight?

Me neither.

When we last saw this intrepid adventurer, it was sitting on a trailer in the back 40 of a ranch. It still is.

We also got a really good deal from some guy who had given up on his Mk2 Supra dreams up in Edmonton. He provided us with a pile of stuff, including (but not limited to) a fully dressed, freshly rebuilt 5MGE, an ECU, yet more tail lights, some corner markers, a license plate holder and two doors with good glass and p-p-power locks.

It was immediately racked, and by "immediately" I mean after several months of abusing a third friend's garage and his understanding wife's tolerance for our grade-A ullbayitshay.

Also, a set of stock 14s with really, really crap tires.

Now, I think the only parts we still need are a clutch and flywheel.

The big question: are we going to run this for this year's rally (tentatively at the end of June?) Not unless I win the lottery, that's for sure.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2018, 11:26:45 pm »
I like that tire 2nd from the bottom.  Your third friend has a forklift?  Have you watched Fastest Car on Netflix?  There's a really nice MkII Supra in one of the episodes.  Super nice, and [Spoiler Alert] about as useful as this one. 

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • seat safety switch
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2018, 10:33:56 am »
The forklift is part of the ranch. I think we bought it... two years ago? It's alright but it's a little sketchy.

---

Finding a flywheel for this thing is harder than I expected.

Offline bigdl

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 09 2.5i Hatch RIP
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2018, 12:04:32 pm »
The forklift is part of the ranch. I think we bought it... two years ago? It's alright but it's a little sketchy.

---

Finding a flywheel for this thing is harder than I expected.

maybe ask Kyle Ho, him and his friends that have a bunch of 80's Toyota, they might have something?

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
  • Ride: 2002 toyota tacoma 4dr (RTT crowdsourced with NFTs)
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2018, 12:26:54 pm »
god damn. The mk2 is the best supra.

Also the worst supra.The cresseda had sick spares that would mount up nice to this car.

One of my two best friends of all time started his car addiction when his dad saw a red rust free mk2 supra in a junkyard along hwy 98.
His dad bought it on the spot, and then told Nathan he HAD to buy it off him.
It was sweet, but the softest ride (until you turned on the MAGNETIC STRUTS WOWWWEE) and a fairly gutless (even tho turbo) engine. He was always scared to crank it up because a)he couldnt find injectors he could afford, b)it ALWAYS had electrical problems, and c)the headgasket is notoriously bad.

I saw a hella-dope 1jz big turbo build swapped one at RMDC last year whooooo boy ive never been harder. Sick flares, sick dish, fully tucked (and re-done to be actually functional) wiring.

anyways, I'm jelly. I think for what its worth, you should not strip the interior. Its Ultra-lux.

What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff
Subaru(sold) Ford (sold) Toyota

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • seat safety switch
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2018, 01:03:37 pm »
maybe ask Kyle Ho, him and his friends that have a bunch of 80's Toyota, they might have something?

Good idea, he does know someone who knows people. I'm talking to him right now. Thanks!

anyways, I'm jelly. I think for what its worth, you should not strip the interior. Its Ultra-lux.

I want to repair the interior!

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2018, 02:07:40 pm »
You're describing a mk3 Supra Ekai not mk2.

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
  • Ride: 2002 toyota tacoma 4dr (RTT crowdsourced with NFTs)
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2018, 02:22:02 pm »
ohhhhhh yeah great point.  8)

What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff
Subaru(sold) Ford (sold) Toyota

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2018, 02:41:33 pm »
You're describing a mk3 Supra Ekai not mk2.

Have you seen Fastest Car yet?

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
  • Ride: Generic SUV
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2018, 04:17:51 pm »
Is illmotion's sunday school where you learn about how Stance Jesus scraped for your sins?
Roxanne - 2015 WRX Ginger - 1990 Civic Si
Avatar courtesy of Wong Photography

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • seat safety switch
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2020, 06:01:06 pm »
Two things have occurred recently:
  • I found out that a new friend (who moved to BC) was in fact the previous owner of the car. He was the one I PM'd and asked about it and both of us forgot the other person's handle/name until we got to talking about cars. He is happy/surprised that it will be back on the road.
  • We found a flywheel for the car finally (after nearly three years of searching) at a Pick N Pull. Have to find somewhere to remove the dowels and resurface it for us.